The Economist: To stop the rot in South Africa, back Cyril Ramaphosa

EADC

Expert Member
And he is busy restoring some of the integrity Zuma broke despite being surrounded by hyenas in his own organization. He has a freer hand in government than in the ANC and has the support of the alliance partners. Yes, Ace is busy working to undermine him from within and Zuma and his minions are always working from the shadows. True, long term the country will only move forward if the ANC get voted out, but then you must remember that voting out the ANC could saddle us with something even worse.
That could be true we will have to see in the next 5 years what happens.

Let's not go down the if the ANC get voted out would be worse that's a BS excuse.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Voting for the ANC will just send them a message that you can loot our tax money with no consequences at all. Long term this can not be good for South Africa.

EADC

Expert Member
LOL, are you mad we trusted Mandela & look how that worked out for us. Not in a million years bucko.
Hey let's be fair Nelson for us into a good place with international investors and such we would be even more ****ed if it wasn't for him and Mbeki.

**** got a bit pear shaped after that.

konfab

Honorary Master
It says exactly that in the article...
What is stopping the Messiah from getting voted out the moment he gets his stronger mandate?
You are trusting on the goodwill of the people who kept Zuma in power? :rolleyes:

C4Cat

Executive Member
What is stopping the Messiah from getting voted out the moment he gets his stronger mandate?
They don't just vote whenever they feel like it? Unless you mean a motion of no confidence or something like that. Ramaphosa has a lot of support in the ANC though, it won't be so easy to just get rid of him.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
And he is busy restoring some of the integrity Zuma broke despite being surrounded by hyenas in his own organization. He has a freer hand in government than in the ANC and has the support of the alliance partners. Yes, Ace is busy working to undermine him from within and Zuma and his minions are always working from the shadows. True, long term the country will only move forward if the ANC get voted out, but then you must remember that voting out the ANC could saddle us with something even worse.
Oh the gullibility displayed here. No wonder the country is in so much poo.

konfab

Honorary Master
They don't just vote whenever they feel like it? Unless you mean a motion of no confidence or something like that. Ramaphosa has a lot of support in the ANC though, it won't be so easy to just get rid of him.
The ANC NEC seemingly does.

The will tell the Messiah to resign, or they will instruct their MPs to hold a vote of no confidence.

Also remember that the Messiah won his position by a ball hair.

R13...

Honorary Master
The rumour is those opposing his clean up campaign plan on calling a national general council and voting him out there. Once he's removed as ANC president they'd then "recall" him. But I see COSATU are warning against anyone trying to pull such a move, and promising hell if they try.

itsme2

What gullibility?
that you don't see that squirrel is just the same as the rest of the ANC. also lined his pockets nicely, did eff all while deputy pres (basically watched the state capture) and lets not forget Marikana. (also reminder about R500k Bosasa 'gift' he didnt know about, his son scored a 2 bar kick from the same crooks)

R13...

Honorary Master
that you don't see that squirrel is just the same as the rest of the ANC. also lined his pockets nicely, did eff all while deputy pres (basically watched the state capture) and lets not forget Marikana.
- I'm yet to see reported evidence of him lining his pockets
- Voting against the ANC would have political suicide and you'd be sitting here whining about a trillion rand nuclear build program (that's if you had enough battery for it as Eskom would have collapsed by then)
- He bears some responsibility for Marikana I'll concede

konfab

Honorary Master
The rumour is those opposing his clean up campaign plan on calling a national general council and voting him out there. Once he's removed as ANC president they'd then "recall" him. But I see COSATU are warning against anyone trying to pull such a move, and promising hell if they try.
And what would COSATU do? Tell all their members not to vote for the ANC?

Also remember that COSATU has just had a major split as well.

R13...

Honorary Master
Thinking a leopard can change its spots.
If you guys think he's the same or will be the same as Zuma then why go through the charade of removing the state capture participants from institutions they still infest? He's appointed competent ministers at key ministries even though he's obviously hamstrung by the need to keep a united ANC. He's definitely guilty of still placing party before country but I think it's better than the alternative.

itsme2

- I'm yet to see reported evidence of him lining his pockets
- Voting against the ANC would have political suicide and you'd be sitting here whining about a trillion rand nuclear build program (that's if you had enough battery for it as Eskom would have collapsed by then)
- He bears some responsibility for Marikana I'll concede
6.4 BILLION squeeky clean Rands. hahaha. Sure
I guess integrity is about what you will stand for, or not stand for. He was deputy from 2014 to 2018 and did ZERO zilch nada about the looting going on. Sure, he should have stepped down.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
If you guys think he's the same or will be the same as Zuma then why go through the charade of removing the state capture participants from institutions they still infest? He's appointed competent ministers at key ministries even though he's obviously hamstrung by the need to keep a united ANC. He's definitely guilty of still placing party before country but I think it's better than the alternative.
The devil is in the details.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The ANC NEC seemingly does.

The will tell the Messiah to resign, or they will instruct their MPs to hold a vote of no confidence.

Also remember that the Messiah won his position by a ball hair.
Then that is even more reason to vote for the ANC. I know, but hear me out.
If we assume the ANC is going to win (anyone disagree?) then they will win either by a high margin or a low one. If they lose a lot of support and win by a low margin then that would be an excuse for getting rid of Ramaphosa - an opposing faction can show he has no support from the people and does not have the confidence of the voters. Then we end up without any chance of cleaning up the party and the corrupt will be back in charge of the ANC. If, however, they win with a high margin, it will be far more difficult for any faction to just get rid of him - he will have proven that he has a strong mandate from the people who trust his leadership. :unsure: We would have to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his promise to clean up corruption which is, admittedly, the difficult part, but he needs a strong and clear mandate from the voters to even get that chance...