Weary
Vengeful
Merciful
Inconsistent
Uncertain
Conflicted
Scheming
Requires support from humans

Is there a possibility that the same God is Lonely, Depressed, Anxious, Desirous etc?

If God is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient then surely he is above all these traits that he seemingly attributes to himself?

Are these 'emotions' just metaphors to give humans an idea of what he is otherwise how would he communicate with us, but since anger is a trait of signifying weakness, what does it say about his inherent nature?

Furthermore, how would God have the necessary faculties to judge fairly on the day of Judgment, if he possesses these characteristics?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Wouldn't your life be easier if you abandon the god concept entirely?

You sure as shite would have a whole lot more time to post more meaningful stuff. You seem way too preoccupied with religions and gods and all things trivial.

3WA

Executive Member
Hmm, so all powerful is the same as all powerful incel. After all, if you screw things you've created, you're just masturbating.

ekske1

Executive Member
Wouldn't your life be easier if you abandon the god concept entirely?

You sure as shite would have a whole lot more time to post more meaningful stuff. You seem way too preoccupied with religions and gods and all things trivial.
Probably stuck on sexuality as well..

Prawnapple

Are these 'emotions' just metaphors to give humans an idea of what he is otherwise how would he communicate with us, but since anger is a trait of signifying weakness, what does it say about his inherent nature?

Furthermore, how would God have the necessary faculties to judge fairly on the day of Judgment, if he possesses these characteristics?
1) I wouldn't call emotions metaphors. Metaphors are metaphors, emotions are literally just emotions and each person handles them differently.
2) Who says anger or any emotion for that matter is "weak" or "strong" or "neutral"? This is completely subjective :)
3) Some say "anger" is constructive, it's hatred that's "destructive". This is again just somebodies opinion.

Anyway, I'm an agnostic atheist, so there's no way I could even care to think about something as silly as a "day of judgement", let alone a "god".

This definitely also comes to mind. I love this piece by Dawkins:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Ponderer

Expert Member
Throughout religious texts we come across a God that is:
Pleased
Angry
Weary
Vengeful
Merciful
Inconsistent
Uncertain
Conflicted
Scheming
Requires support from humans

Is there a possibility that the same God is Lonely, Depressed, Anxious, Desirous etc?

If God is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient then surely he is above all these traits that he seemingly attributes to himself?

I assume that you are referring to GOD as described by/in the Bible.

GOD has a personality.
HE can be angered and pleased.
HE can be vengeful and be merciful.
HE is consistent.
HE is not uncertain, nor conflicted.
HE is not "scheming" - HE simply has his own plans.
HE most definitely does not need humans - its humans that need HIM.

GOD is not defined by humans - GOD is defined by HIMSELF - HE IS who HE IS.
BTW - anger is not a sign of weakness - anger is simply anger.

GOD is not democratically elected.
GOD defines what be right, and what be wrong - HE defines Morality.
Right and wrong is what HE says it is - your view/opinion/understanding of right and wrong is totally irrelevant.
When HE one day judges, HIS decision is final - whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with HIS decision is totally irrelevant.
GOD is GOD, and not who you think/wish/will/hope/imagine HE BE.

Atheists believe that GOD is a myth.
Atheists believe that its stupid to believe GOD exists.
I believe that its stupid to believe that GOD does not exist.

MEIOT

Expert Member
1)

Anyway, I'm an agnostic atheist, so there's no way I could even care to think about something as silly as a "day of judgement", let alone a "god".
Then, going on that statement, you're just a regular ol' atheist. No agnosticism factors in.

Despite there being a definition and wikipedia's entry for Agnostic Atheism....it just seems so counter intuitive. Either agnostic and a fence sitter or a definitive atheist.

IMO

Excalibur

Expert Member
I assume that you are referring to GOD as described by/in the Bible.

GOD has a personality.
HE can be angered and pleased.
How would you be sure of what pleases or angers Him?

HE can be vengeful and be merciful.
Why is He not striking down with vengeance the powerful oppressors in today's world and equally showing mercy on the oppressed?

HE is consistent
It could be argued we are not seeing the spectacular actions from Him that we saw in the bible (both punishments and rewards)

HE is not "scheming" - HE simply has his own plans.
Where does man fit into those plans?

HE most definitely does not need humans - its humans that need HIM.
So why did He create man and why does man need Him?

GOD is not democratically elected.
How did He come into existence and assume power?

GOD defines what be right, and what be wrong - HE defines Morality.
Right and wrong is what HE says it is - your view/opinion/understanding of right and wrong is totally irrelevant.
What does He say is right or wrong?

When HE one day judges, HIS decision is final - whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with HIS decision is totally irrelevant.
Is His decision really final? We have seen prayers and appeals leading to Him changing decisions in the bible.

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
You persist in thinking that god is somehow external to you, some "other".

I find that profoundly weird.

Ponderer

Expert Member
1) I wouldn't call emotions metaphors. Metaphors are metaphors, emotions are literally just emotions and each person handles them differently.
2) Who says anger or any emotion for that matter is "weak" or "strong" or "neutral"? This is completely subjective :)
3) Some say "anger" is constructive, it's hatred that's "destructive". This is again just somebodies opinion.

This definitely also comes to mind. I love this piece by Dawkins:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
You claim to be an agnostic atheist.
What does an agnostic atheist believe?