Weary
Vengeful
Merciful
Inconsistent
Uncertain
Conflicted
Scheming
Requires support from humans

Is there a possibility that the same God is Lonely, Depressed, Anxious, Desirous etc?

If God is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient then surely he is above all these traits that he seemingly attributes to himself?

Are these 'emotions' just metaphors to give humans an idea of what he is otherwise how would he communicate with us, but since anger is a trait of signifying weakness, what does it say about his inherent nature?

Furthermore, how would God have the necessary faculties to judge fairly on the day of Judgment, if he possesses these characteristics?
Frankly my dear, its all BS.
50 years from now this will all be irrelevant.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Frankly my dear, its all BS.
50 years from now this will all be irrelevant.
Atheists believe that GOD is a myth.
Atheists believe that its stupid to believe GOD exists.
I believe that its stupid to believe that GOD does not exist.
Exactly what are you referring to as BS if it can equally be argued that your view/opinion/belief/faith is BS.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Exactly what are you referring to as BS if it can equally be argued that your view/opinion/belief/faith is BS.
Ah its you again.
I think you really need to go to your church, and ask your pastoor for some advice because it seems you are really struggling with your religion.
I have a picture in mind for you, but I fear, if I post it here, you'll get very butthurt and I'll then sit with a temp/permanent ban.
I can in departing, say you really need to read some of Richard Dawkin's books. Maybe then you'll "get the memo" so to speak.

Prawnapple

Then, going on that statement, you're just a regular ol' atheist. No agnosticism factors in.

Despite there being a definition and wikipedia's entry for Agnostic Atheism....it just seems so counter intuitive. Either agnostic and a fence sitter or a definitive atheist.

IMO
@MEIOT @Ponderer
A distinction needs to be made between gnostic theism, agnostic theism, agnostic atheism and gnostic atheism. No atheist is simply an "atheist" when you get down to the nitty gritty. For all intents and purposes, I am an atheist, but I am an agnostic atheist. So I prefer that term. Most atheists are agnostic atheists. People tend to think agnosticism is a "fence sitting" position, but it's not. It should be thought about like a scale from 1-7. Where 1 is "god exists and I can prove it" and 7 is "god doesn't exist and I can prove it" - I am a 6 on this scale.
1555482265130.png

See wiki:
"Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact." As can be seen here, agnosticism is a "knowledge claim".

MEIOT

Expert Member
@MEIOT @Ponderer
A distinction needs to be made between gnostic theism, agnostic theism, agnostic atheism and gnostic atheism. No atheist is simply an "atheist" when you get down to the nitty gritty. For all intents and purposes, I am an atheist, but I am an agnostic atheist. So I prefer that term. Most atheists are agnostic atheists. People tend to think agnosticism is a "fence sitting" position, but it's not. It should be thought about like a scale from 1-7. Where 1 is "god exists and I can prove it" and 7 is "god doesn't exist and I can prove it" - I am a 6 on this scale.
View attachment 647000

See wiki:
"Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact." As can be seen here, agnosticism is a "knowledge claim".

Yip - I totally get all the jargon about this new agnostic atheist breed but ultimately it is indeed fence sitting.
You're essentially saying you don't believe in a deity BUT you don't know if there's one/many. So you can't enitirely really rule out that there is indeed no god.
Counter intuitive by definition. Not to mention quite laughable.
And no - not all atheists are agnostic. Atheists are firm in their conviction that there is indeed no god/s.
I've met many folks that fence sit on this agnosticism banner - there a distinct difference despite the Wikipedia words and the nice colorful graphs

Last edited:

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Where is? :

Does not believe any god exists.
Claims to know no god exists and doesn't give a shiz.

Prawnapple

Where is? :

Does not believe any god exists.
Claims to know no god exists and doesn't give a shiz.
Sounds like either Apatheism:
Apatheism, a portmanteau of apathy and theism) is the attitude of apathy towards the existence or non-existence of god(s). It is more of an attitude rather than a belief, claim, or belief system

Or Igtheism:
Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the term god has no coherent and unambiguous definition. It may also be described as the theological position that other theological positions assume too much about the concept of god.

@MEIOT
And no - not all atheists are agnostic. Atheists are firm in their conviction that is indeed no god/s.
I've met many folks that fence sit on this agnosticism banner - there a distinct difference despite the Wikipedia words and the nice colorful graphs
If you believe that gods don't exist but you say that you cannot know for sure, you're an agnostic atheist (also known as weak atheism). If you claim to KNOW gods don't exist, you're a gnostic atheist (strong atheism). Then the question becomes, how do you KNOW this? How is that different to a theist saying, "I KNOW god exists?"

MEIOT

Expert Member
If you believe that gods don't exist but you say that you cannot know for sure, you're an agnostic atheist (also known as weak atheism). If you claim to KNOW gods don't exist, you're a gnostic atheist (strong atheism). Then the question becomes, how do you KNOW this? How is that different to a theist saying, "I KNOW god exists?"
An Atheist, through process of elimination and application of critical thinking does indeed KNOW that a god does not exist. That's why they can be firm in their convictions.

Each to their own though. If fence sitting get's people by and help's accomplish better sleep - that's good too.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
1) I wouldn't call emotions metaphors. Metaphors are metaphors, emotions are literally just emotions and each person handles them differently.
2) Who says anger or any emotion for that matter is "weak" or "strong" or "neutral"? This is completely subjective :)
3) Some say "anger" is constructive, it's hatred that's "destructive". This is again just somebodies opinion.

Anyway, I'm an agnostic atheist, so there's no way I could even care to think about something as silly as a "day of judgement", let alone a "god".

This definitely also comes to mind. I love this piece by Dawkins:

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
1. Its actually a conundrum for god. If there wasnt emotions, how else would god relate to us. Send prophets down to tell people He doesnt have attributes wont work.

2. Gods anger is a gross overreaction in that he prescribes hell fire for all eternity, that alludes to a god that cant control his anger, hence why he is ultimately weak. Notice theres no set precedent like punishment to fit the crime. No banishment or seclusion. Its all fire and brimstone.

3. Anger - being a negative force cant be constructive.

Some good descriptions there by Dawks.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Ah its you again.
I think you really need to go to your church, and ask your pastoor for some advice because it seems you are really struggling with your religion.
I have a picture in mind for you, but I fear, if I post it here, you'll get very butthurt and I'll then sit with a temp/permanent ban.
I can in departing, say you really need to read some of Richard Dawkin's books. Maybe then you'll "get the memo" so to speak.
Your advice to read some of Dawkins books.
Dawkins is a renowned atheist, but not a philosopher.
A much better book is "The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions" by David Berlinski.
Unlike Dawkins, Berlinski knows what he is talking about.

BTW - what's with the "butthurt".
You a pervert of sorts?

Last edited:

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I assume that you are referring to GOD as described by/in the Bible.

GOD has a personality.
HE can be angered and pleased.
HE can be vengeful and be merciful.
HE is consistent.
HE is not uncertain, nor conflicted.
HE is not "scheming" - HE simply has his own plans.
HE most definitely does not need humans - its humans that need HIM.

GOD is not defined by humans - GOD is defined by HIMSELF - HE IS who HE IS.
BTW - anger is not a sign of weakness - anger is simply anger.

GOD is not democratically elected.
GOD defines what be right, and what be wrong - HE defines Morality.
Right and wrong is what HE says it is - your view/opinion/understanding of right and wrong is totally irrelevant.
When HE one day judges, HIS decision is final - whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with HIS decision is totally irrelevant.
GOD is GOD, and not who you think/wish/will/hope/imagine HE BE.

Atheists believe that GOD is a myth.
Atheists believe that its stupid to believe GOD exists.
I believe that its stupid to believe that GOD does not exist.
Is the god of the other religious texts a different god which means theres more than one.
You are basically defending his attributes by describing human traits that you're familiar with, which emphasizes the idea that god didn't create man in his own image but rather man created god in his own image.

Even the koran describes a god that needs supporters for his cause in verses:
O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah, as when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples, "Who are my supporters for Allah ?" The disciples said, "We are supporters of Allah ." 61:14

And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen 57:25
Note the support for military campaigns- not far removed from what the Crusaders did.

The bible has its fair share of similar verses and not to mention inconsistencies, contradictions and abrogations which proves god is uncertain, inconsistent and conflicted.

He definitely lacks a clear plan and rather resorts to scheming and plotting - 3:54, 7:99, 8:30 of the emphasizes this. Im using the koran because its a later text and is very similar to the old testament.

Its equally stupid to believe all the miracles attributed to him when it completely contradicts scientific thought and common sense. As atheist Biblical scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou said - the Old testament was written over 400 years by a bunch of guys with daddy issues.

Ponderer

Expert Member
1. Its actually a conundrum for god. If there wasnt emotions, how else would god relate to us. Send prophets down to tell people He doesnt have attributes wont work.

2. Gods anger is a gross overreaction in that he prescribes hell fire for all eternity, that alludes to a god that cant control his anger, hence why he is ultimately weak. Notice theres no set precedent like punishment to fit the crime. No banishment or seclusion. Its all fire and brimstone.

Some good descriptions there by Dawks.
As a philosopher, Dawkins is at best amusing.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Sounds like either Apatheism:
Apatheism, a portmanteau of apathy and theism) is the attitude of apathy towards the existence or non-existence of god(s). It is more of an attitude rather than a belief, claim, or belief system

Or Igtheism:
Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless because the term god has no coherent and unambiguous definition. It may also be described as the theological position that other theological positions assume too much about the concept of god.

@MEIOT

Are you therefore weakly atheistic (as to strongly atheistic)?

Prawnapple

Welll, that's if you consider anger a "negetive force". :whistling: Let's face it, anger has its merits.

@Ponderer
Are you therefore weakly atheistic (as to strongly atheistic)?
To be fair, I cannot prove that god does or doesn't exist. However, even having said that, I consider myself a "strong atheist". There is essentially nothing that can convince me that a god or gods exist.