The evils of Estate Agents and Ending Rental Agreements

OnlyOneKenobi

Hi,

Recently, we bought a house and ended our rental agreement with a certain estate agency as we took residence in our newly purchased house.

As part of the process, an agent did an inspection of the townhouse we rented and noted that the carpets were dirty - in my and my wife's opinion, the carpets were not dirty and I said so right there and then.

Long story short, I enquired about getting my security deposit back, and was told that some deductions would be made to pay, amongst other things, for the costs of cleaning the carpets. Now I may be one to sometimes overlook something that could be considered slightly dirty - maybe my eye doesn't quite pick that sort of thing up - but my wife can see a fleck of dirt on a flea from five miles away, and she doesn't think these carpets were dirty at all. The contract we signed does not specifically say anything about being held responsible for cleaning carpets - but when I question this, reference is made to a section about "restoring defects at own cost" in the rental agreement that we signed. The carpets ARE NOT DIRTY. Any "Defects" with the carpets were there when we moved in, and noted in our inspection sheets when we took residence.

Property 24 even has the following article which states the previous tenant cannot be held accountable for the costs of cleaning carpets unless it was left in "a clearly substandard condition", which it was not (see point 3) : http://www.property24.com/articles/tenants-deposit-and-property-repairs/16375

I have come to the conclusion that we are at a stalemate and just take the rest of the deposit since it comes down to a matter of "he said, she said" with regards to the carpets being dirty or not - which by now would probably have been cleaned already, we no longer even have access to check the current state.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Hi,

Recently, we bought a house and ended our rental agreement with a certain estate agency as we took residence in our newly purchased house.

As part of the process, an agent did an inspection of the townhouse we rented and noted that the carpets were dirty - in my and my wife's opinion, the carpets were not dirty and I said so right there and then.

Long story short, I enquired about getting my security deposit back, and was told that some deductions would be made to pay, amongst other things, for the costs of cleaning the carpets. Now I may be one to sometimes overlook something that could be considered slightly dirty - maybe my eye doesn't quite pick that sort of thing up - but my wife can see a fleck of dirt on a flea from five miles away, and she doesn't think these carpets were dirty at all. The contract we signed does not specifically say anything about being held responsible for cleaning carpets - but when I question this, reference is made to a section about "restoring defects at own cost" in the rental agreement that we signed. The carpets ARE NOT DIRTY. Any "Defects" with the carpets were there when we moved in, and noted in our inspection sheets when we took residence.

Property 24 even has the following article which states the previous tenant cannot be held accountable for the costs of cleaning carpets unless it was left in "a clearly substandard condition", which it was not (see point 3) : http://www.property24.com/articles/tenants-deposit-and-property-repairs/16375

I have come to the conclusion that we are at a stalemate and just take the rest of the deposit since it comes down to a matter of "he said, she said" with regards to the carpets being dirty or not - which by now would probably have been cleaned already, we no longer even have access to check the current state.

Either that or prepare for a long drawn out fight that could include the estate agency board (whatever it is called) and small claims court.

Nod

Executive Member
Housing rental tribunal would probably be your next stop, if you have the time and energy.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
In Cape Town at least it is pretty standard to pay for carpet cleaning on leaving regardless. Cause you know that the tenants before you went through the same. Everybody wins.

muazzamb

Simply get your ducks in order and prepare for small claims court. Its become a norm where either party seems to almost always take advantage of the other from supposed lack of knowledge or pure greed.

spiff

Executive Member
they are going to deducted it either way, but won't clean the carpets cause they are mos clean ne! - get your monies worth - trap just enough mud and sand through out the place so that your carpet and make sure they HAVE to have them cleaned! thus losing the money they were gong to pocket from you for niks. :twisted:

ZakkieBug

We recently had the same problem and took it to the rental agency board. It took a year to resolve but we got our money back.:)

Take the matter to rental agency board, just be prepared to follow up a lot and wait VERY VERY long.

OnlyOneKenobi

In Cape Town at least it is pretty standard to pay for carpet cleaning on leaving regardless. Cause you know that the tenants before you went through the same. Everybody wins.

Fair enough, but in such cases, at least you are aware of the arrangement and can either clean the carpets yourselves or get someone at a cheaper rate instead of just being told that sum x is being witheld from your deposit due to the need for someone to clean up after your "filthy" backside.

muazzamb

When deducting from your deposit, they will need to provide proof in the form of receipts for work done. Without this they have to pay back your full deposit.

[Edit]
And I believe it has to be done within 30 days of you leaving.