The Expanse Sci Fi series - spoilers alert

Drifter

Honorary Master
So who watched the 1st episode? Started of promising but I switched off when it turned into a detective story. Will give it another bash over the weekend.

Toothless

Banned
So who watched the 1st episode? Started of promising but I switched off when it turned into a detective story. Will give it another bash over the weekend.

Don't waste your time, typical sci-fi channel s**t!

skimread

Honorary Master
A show that doesn't know what it is. Reminds me of those awful Canadian Sci-Fi shows

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack

Really? Now thats dissapointing . . . so its the usual clap-trap cop drama disguised as sci-fi . . . great! :rolleyes:

Drifter

Honorary Master
Yeah, cop on Mars gets a secret mission, but he is not allowed to involve the rookie from Earth. That's where I switched off.

Detective story? No. Miller, which the first couple of minutes focused on, is a detective yes, but he's not the main character in the series. If you only watched the first 15 minutes, you actually missed the best part of the episode.

The rest of the episode centres around how the team is formed, which ARE the main characters of the story.

I think you should give it at least 2 or 3 episodes before you make up your mind. And I'm not saying you WILL like it by then, but you should be able to tell better than the first 15 minutes. There is a lot of scene setting at the beginning to create the environment in which this story will play out.

Yeah, cop on Mars gets a secret mission, but he is not allowed to involve the rookie from Earth. That's where I switched off.

Another thing you don't get. The rookie doesn't play a roll in the first season, neither the second. I think he only plays a role again in the 3rd or 4th season (book), but it's an important part of linking him and miller together.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Detective story? No. Miller, which the first couple of minutes focused on, is a detective yes, but he's not the main character in the series. If you only watched the first 15 minutes, you actually missed the best part of the episode.

The rest of the episode centres around how the team is formed, which ARE the main characters of the story.

I think you should give it at least 2 or 3 episodes before you make up your mind. And I'm not saying you WILL like it by then, but you should be able to tell better than the first 15 minutes. There is a lot of scene setting at the beginning to create the environment in which this story will play out.

I will do that. Thanks.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The Expanse - The TV Series - 'Ware the SPOILERS

So I watched the first episode in glorious 1080p just now...and spent 45 minutes wanting to punch the dude playing Holden in the face. Smug-ass looking, over-trained, beady-eyed...he's not at all as I pictured him. Also, not a good actor.

Apart from that, it was pretty great...enjoyed the milieu of Ceres, Thomas Jane is solid as Miller. Havelock and Amos especially could have been cast as bigger actors but that's minor.

Really looking forward to this now.

So I watched the first episode in glorious 1080p just now...and spent 45 minutes wanting to punch the dude playing Holden in the face. Smug-ass looking, over-trained, beady-eyed...he's not at all as I pictured him. Also, not a good actor.

Apart from that, it was pretty great...enjoyed the milieu of Ceres, Thomas Jane is solid as Miller. Havelock and Amos especially could have been cast as bigger actors but that's minor.

Really looking forward to this now.

Yeh, was also not very fond the actor choice of Holden... I imagined him... older.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Yeh, was also not very fond the actor choice of Holden... I imagined him... older.

They went beefcake to sex it up a bit...I can get that, I guess.

I don't get the complaints about a TV show that mixes genre elements...the setting may be futuristic but you still need human elements to ground it and drive the story forward.

I don't get the complaints about a TV show that mixes genre elements...the setting may be futuristic but you still need human elements to ground it and drive the story forward.

And that's exactly what something like BSG did. Futuristic setting, but more drama than pew pew

And yeh, I can't wait for the next episodes... even though I know what's going to happen...

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
So . . . I watched episode 1.

I get the feeling there are multiple story lines at least with some depth. I was actually surprised at how good it is considering its SyFy. Special effects, acting, character building in just the one episode is up there with shows like BSG.

The one thing that really impressed me and what most sci-fi DON'T do properly was the FTL jump prep. Man that gave me goosebumps. Most sci-fi series will have some stupid light show and wham, you're at your destination. I loved the way they took the time to set up the jump and position the ship for the jump. That was super-cool! Reminded me of BSG and Aliens! :eek:

Love the show I hope they keep it up.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack

I get that but it HOW they do that human element. The majority of sci-fi series portray humanity as some poor down-trodden race flung back to the dark ages. I guess it easier to do that I suppose.

BSG did it really well!