The forbidden words Apple employees aren't allowed to say

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Apple's "Genius" technical support employees base their interactions with customers around the Genius Training Student Workbook, which focuses on the use empathetic communication.

According to a report by The Guardian, Geniuses should apologize that customers feel bad when they encounter problems with a product, but should not implicate the product itself as the source of the problem.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so they cant say, your an Id10t for buying this overprices POS thats built to shoddy standards?

well ok then, now I know how to complain.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I actually wish apple fixed cars, would be hilarious.

especially something that is straightfoward, how their interaction might go.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
so they cant say, your an Id10t for buying this overprices POS thats built to shoddy standards?

well ok then, now I know how to complain.
That's what the i, in all of their products, mean.

neoprema

Expert Member
This is just anti-Apple nonsense.

Do you think Samsung tells their employees to blame the tech when a user complains? "Oh i'm sorry you're having problems we do build rubbish phones...:"

Airlines do it, tech companies do it, service providers do it the list goes on.

"The report added that this approach is a result of Apple’s focus on using emotional communication and tension diffusion instead of placing problem solving and technical support as the primary goal."

Kudos to Apple!

Crowley

Executive Member
This is just anti-Apple nonsense.

Do you think Samsung tells their employees to blame the tech when a user complains? "Oh i'm sorry you're having problems we do build rubbish phones...:"

Airlines do it, tech companies do it, service providers do it the list goes on.

"The report added that this approach is a result of Apple’s focus on using emotional communication and tension diffusion instead of placing problem solving and technical support as the primary goal."

Kudos to Apple!
You might have drunk all the cool-aid without leaving any for the rest of the people.

I don't want to hear how the world is a great place filled with unicorn poop and how great this should make me feel. Tell me what is wrong with my product and how you are going to fix it.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
At least it ain't "positive speak", hated (not a strong enough word) that at my previous job.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
they should ban the word "genius" while they at it.

Who came up with calling their service support staff "geniuses"?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Someone I know worked for an organic health food company based in the UK, and they were not allowed the colour red in the office. You were not allowed a red stapler, you were not allowed to wear a red jersey. I don't know if they checked to see if your underwear was red - maybe they did.

Pandas2

Every company works on creating a certain image for itself. Nothing interesting here. Companies pull a lot of crap when it comes to repairs and long lead times that can make you decide to buy a new device instead of repairs

Last edited:

Frequent visitor

Expert Member

Apple's "Genius" technical support employees base their interactions with customers around the Genius Training Student Workbook, which focuses on the use empathetic communication.

According to a report by The Guardian, Geniuses should apologize that customers feel bad when they encounter problems with a product, but should not implicate the product itself as the source of the problem.
Dealing with 'customer' complaints is a bit of a black art. Weasel words are the order of the day! "I am sorry that your perception is that our Officer was rude when speaking to you. I can assure you that........."

I once visited a very large company that was in a state of near panic. They had a complaints department, and the main man had just retired. On his last day, he dealt with all the complaints on hand as he would really have liked to all along. "We have received your complaint, which is the most ill conceived we have ever received. Do you think we have nothing better to do than read rubbish from greedy chancers like yourself? We suggest you sit down and read the instructions packed with the product, from which you will see that it is a black and white TV you bought from us, not a colour one as you claim. Colour TVs cost well in excess of £50, and this was sold to you for £10. Please don't bother us again you raving fool." The Company Secretary was trying how to deal with the situation when I walked in. He decided that honesty was the best policy!! I doubt that Apple would decide that to be honest.

garp

Executive Member

This is box standard sales floor training - applies to any well trained sales staff for any brand. Empathise and assist but never acknowledge your product might be kak. I don't understand the fuss.

sand_man

Honorary Master
This is box standard sales floor training - applies to any well trained sales staff for any brand. Empathise and assist but never acknowledge your product might be kak. I don't understand the fuss.
Fandroids are easily triggered... :sneaky: It's good for hits/posts.... but mybroadband staff aren't allowed to say it...:p