The Ford Ranger (T6) Thread

New Ford Ranger – We Chat to the Chief Engineer

At the recent local debut of the brand-new Ford Ranger double-cab bakkie, we had a chance to have a chat with the man who signed off on the entire project.

British-born Ian Foston has quite the portfolio and title. According to his LinkedIn bio, he’s Global Chief Program Engineer, having overseen the development of the new Ranger, Everest, Raptor and Volkswagen Amarok.

The Melbourne-based engineer is an off-road enthusiast, and proudly talks about his personal vehicles: a Ford Everest and a Ford Raptor, a near-perfect two-car garage if you’re an adventurous Blue Oval fanatic. During the launch of the brand-new Ranger, he jumped into the passenger seat of our test unit, having just stepped off a plane to attend the event in the Western Cape.

50F9BE86-EF59-48C6-96C4-71DF213D518E.jpeg

Here’s How Soon Ford Could Launch Electric Ranger

A fresh report has seemingly revealed when Ford plans to start production of a fully electric Ranger bakkie, right down to the month

Though Ford has yet to officially confirm plans to launch a fully electric version of the new Ranger (saying only it has “future-proofed” the platform), such a move seems virtually inevitable. Now, a report out of North America claims a battery-powered Ranger bakkie will go into production before the end of the decade.

According to Ford Authority, the folks over at AutoForecast Solutions – a Pennsylvania-based company that describes itself as the “premier provider of global automotive forecasting databases” – say the Blue Oval brand will commence production of a fully electric Ranger in August 2029.

The report suggests the battery-powered bakkie will be built at Ford’s facility in Tennessee, which will also reportedly produce a fully electric Bronco as well as the next-generation F-150 Lightning.

Considering the new Ranger has only recently gone into production (and the fact light-commercial vehicles tend to have lengthy lifecycles), it’s worth noting an electric Ranger would likely be sold alongside standard versions of the bakkie powered by internal combustion engines.

So here's the thing and this coming from a current 2017 XLT owner....

The new XLT has quite a few things missing compared to what it should have. Basically you need to add at least option pack 4 onto an XLT to get to a true previous generation replacement, so that pushes that XLT 4x4 to R820-R830k....

Now, I have looked at the XLT 4x2 BiTurbo and once I add the right option pack on to get leather seats, rear air vents etc, then I am only R40k short of a 4x2 Wildtrak, and the Wildtrak is fully loaded with no options besides 20 inch mags and an electric roller on the loadbox...

WIldtrak is really a no brainer and the one I'll go for. I am sure many other buyers will do the same. There is easily more than R40k in extra's between a "pack'ed up" XLT and a Wildtrak.

Good day everyone
I'm not very active on this forum, more on the 4x4 community site. I bought one of the first Rangers in the country and have owned mine since December. I have driven about 2000km so far and I do share my impressions on my YouTube channel for anyone that is interested in the South African-built ranger. Everything from comparison to the previous models(This is my third Wildtrak) to driving impressions. Check out my site if interested, please.

Youtube
@LeonRandoms

Good day everyone
I'm not very active on this forum, more on the 4x4 community site. I bought one of the first Rangers in the country and have owned mine since December. I have driven about 2000km so far and I do share my impressions on my YouTube channel for anyone that is interested in the South African-built ranger. Everything from comparison to the previous models(This is my third Wildtrak) to driving impressions. Check out my site if interested, please.

Youtube
@LeonRandoms

Congrats & shot for the vids. Some solid in-depth work there, nicely done sir :cool::thumbsup:

Good day everyone

Youtube
@LeonRandoms

Watched all your videos this weekend and enjoyed the indepth review of the Wildtrak. Gave me a good first taste while I wait for my white one to be built and shipped down here in the next week or so. My build has the 20inch wheels added which I have asked the dealer to swap back to the standard 18's like on yours. At R6k per 20inch tyre, it just doesn't make financial sense to marry myself to them...

Back