The French and their love of smoking

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
One would think people are starting to smoke less since the health risks of smoking are being shown more publicly over the last decade. Smokers have been consigned designated areas and some establishments do not even allow for smoking at all.

Currently I am spending a week on Mauritius and the island is pretty much French. Everywhere we go, on the beaches, on boats, in the street - folks are lighting up to have a smoke.

Are the French trying to see if they can become the leading nation when it comes to lung cancer? What is with their love of smoking?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Ironically this is more of a live and let die situation. I am enjoying it, but they can become a bit much, yesterday we were part of a tourist group and the only other English people was a couple from Manchester. Both them and us became a little bit irritated with all the smoke about.

Then again I guess this is their island so FIFO.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
France was the same.... Was shocked at the amount of smokers.

Craig_

Honorary Master
Ironically this is more of a live and let die situation. I am enjoying it, but they can become a bit much, yesterday we were part of a tourist group and the only other English people was a couple from Manchester. Both them and us became a little bit irritated with all the smoke about.

Then again I guess this is their island so FIFO.

That must be highly annoying.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That must be highly annoying.
I'd say it's the only downside of being out here. I can live with everyone starting to talk French with you simply because you are white, they soon revert to English when they see the blank look on your face :D ... but the smoking... siesa!
Glad their cars smoke less than their people. On that topic, saw a couple of Insignia's out here, am yet to see a Passat :p

Craig_

Honorary Master
I'd say it's the only downside of being out here. I can live with everyone starting to talk French with you simply because you are white, they soon revert to English when they see the blank look on your face :D ... but the smoking... siesa!
Glad their cars smoke less than their people. On that topic, saw a couple of Insignia's out here, am yet to see a Passat :p

You should take pics. Seeing as they make silly decisions on their health, you can expect them to make the same with their cars.... :ROFL:

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Smoking.... Who the fck have the right to tell me i can't ?
Gays - Siessa.

HunterNW

Honorary Master
If you really want to get the fight going on this Friday you will have to make your post a bit more "colourful".... :ROFL:
Not this Friday - trying to be positive for the weekend. Oh.... time for a smoke break :cool:

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Meh, I share their lack of concern for health, I smoke, drink, eat what I want etc etc. I have no intention of spending more than 50 years on this planet, I'd much rather have a life of pleasure and excess for a short amount of time than the other way round.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Currently I am spending a week on Mauritius and the island is pretty much French. Everywhere we go, on the beaches, on boats, in the street - folks are lighting up to have a smoke.

Ah that would explain that gorgeous pic. Where are you guys staying?

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Meh, I share their lack of concern for health, I smoke, drink, eat what I want etc etc. I have no intention of spending more than 50 years on this planet, I'd much rather have a life of pleasure and excess for a short amount of time than the other way round.
What's your plan for eternity ? Sucking off Nick or keeping the fire going ?

Craig_

Honorary Master

50 is a lot younger than you think...... At 50 you can still have many good years ahead of you. I don't want to be a sickly old man.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
What's your plan for eternity ? Sucking off Nick or keeping the fire going ?

For eternity? I shall rot in the ground. For the meantime I shall feast on nicotine, caffeine, protein, alcohol and anything else I desire.