The future of Have I Been Pwned - What to expect

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The future of Have I Been Pwned - What to expect

Security researcher Troy Hunt has published a blog post about the future of his "Have I Been Pwned" data breach directory.

Have I Been Pwned is an invaluable platform for the security-conscious, allowing visitors to check their email against a massive collection of historical data breaches to determine if their login credentials have ever been compromised.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I vaguely recall that either 1Password or Dashlane includes HIBP integration to analyse your email addresses and passwords. I'm guessing the major password managers are the obvious buyers of something like HIBP.

KPMG. Lol. No thanks. Hopefully Bitwarden switches to Passwordping.
I've used Bitwarden for over a year and never seen a mention of HIBP. Is that what they use for the web vault's email checker?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I vaguely recall that either 1Password or Dashlane includes HIBP integration to analyse your email addresses and passwords. I'm guessing the major password managers are the obvious buyers of something like HIBP.

I've used Bitwarden for over a year and never seen a mention of HIBP. Is that what they use for the web vault's email checker?
Yes. That's correct.

quovadis

Expert Member
Would be interesting to understand the ramifications of a commercial transaction to acquire a database of illegally compromised databases?