The future will be built in Africa: Mark Zuckerberg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The gods help us!

Maybe we should all start joining the End of the World brigade ....

Jola

Honorary Master
He got this one wrong.

But we will take his money, anyway.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Should be funny seeing the all the commenters that think they know better than Zuckerberg

skimread

Honorary Master
You can't take him seriously if he says it while in Africa

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Just someone that has never been to Africa before , trying to butter up the host country ......
Hope he keeps his head screwed on when making any deals ... He could find himself conned out of his entire fortune before he leaves Nigeria.

Not a bad idea that --- Could mean the end of Facebook, quite an appealing thought ...

Won't go down well with any of us who have spent years travelling all over this continent.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Easy to get high growth numbers when you have a tiny base.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Once certain structural and political issues are resolved, he may not be wrong... but the fundamentals need to be resolved before any significant long-term future growth can happen on this continent.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Once certain structural and political issues are resolved, he may not be wrong... but the fundamentals need to be resolved before any significant long-term future growth can happen on this continent.

Very impressed with your levels of optimism. Note that even the Romans expressed the same optimism .......

ToxicBunny

What do the Romans have to do with the price of eggs in Africa today?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What do the Romans have to do with the price of eggs in Africa today?

Only that over the centuries many have expressed optimism about Africa .... We are still waiting .........

I used to travel a lot in Africa. I used to swing from utter despair to bright enthusiastic optimism at least 5 times a year .... And then my last really serious trip to the DRC turned me completely negative after witnessing cannibalism in the Eastern part of the DRC .....

That cured me forever.

ToxicBunny

Only that over the centuries many have expressed optimism about Africa .... We are still waiting .........

I used to travel a lot in Africa. I used to swing from utter despair to bright enthusiastic optimism at least 5 times a year .... And then my last really serious trip to the DRC turned me completely negative after witnessing cannibalism in the Eastern part of the DRC .....

That cured me forever.

As I said the fundamentals need to be right... The time frame to do that is up for debate of course but there are pockets of hope all over the continent

yebocan

Honorary Master

That cured me forever.

...sorry could not resist

onlyme

As I said the fundamentals need to be right... The time frame to do that is up for debate of course but there are pockets of hope all over the continent

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

j4ck455

Executive Member
During his discussion with Nigerian media, Zuckerberg made mention of Facebook’s key projects aimed at connecting developing communities to the internet.One such project, [highlight]Free Basics aimed at providing people with access to basic services on their mobile phones in areas where internet access may not be as accessible as in more developed areas, is currently being brought to South Africans by Cell C[/highlight].

That doesn't appear to be a quote of anything that Zuckerberg said in Nigeria, it's quite odd that CellC crept into this Fin24 news article, and while I agree that access to The Internet should be a basic service for everyone, I am not sure how one gets basic services like water, electricity and sanitation out of a cellphone connected to CellC's network, at best you can WhatsApp about those services that you might not have access to.

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member
Africa is one of the last real growth markets for Facebook. People without significant exposure to the countries just can't comprehend the social and political issues though.