The gaming PC you can build for the price of a PlayStation 5

Nemoneiros

Executive Member

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
I hate articles like this. A gaming PC isn't just for gaming - it's an entire PC.

Add the R12,000 console cost on top of the price of a run-of-the-mill workstation and then compare what your money will get you. Spoiler alert: you'll end up with a really nice gaming PC.
There's no medication for idioticy.

Genisys

Honorary Master
LOL why do they chose the 12k console but they don't put a Blu-ray drive in the build pc? So take 10k(PS5 digital) and add 4.5k for a cheap home/office pc that is more than enough for the average Joe. Please build us a Pc for 14-15k that can compete with the PS5 with gaming.
That isn't how purchasing a PC works. An entry level Celeron might be fine in your opinion, but it isn't. Comparing a dedicated machine that only does gaming to a multi function machine is pointless, a PC will always end up costing more. PC's can be upgraded. PC's has a far longer life span than most consoles. PC's can also be used for much more than just gaming. Setting a budget of R15K is still pointless. But while we are at it, please include peripheral prices into the equation. PS5 needs a 4K TV/monitor. Add that to the cost. It will need an extra controller (we know that people like sitting next to each other and play Multi player games in split screen). It needs a sound bar or headphones. A decent couch to enjoy the experience? This entire comparison is pointless. Peripherals is where the big money comes in for Consoles.

genetic

Honorary Master
That isn't how purchasing a PC works. An entry level Celeron might be fine in your opinion, but it isn't. Comparing a dedicated machine that only does gaming to a multi function machine is pointless, a PC will always end up costing more. PC's can be upgraded. PC's has a far longer life span than most consoles. PC's can also be used for much more than just gaming. Setting a budget of R15K is still pointless. But while we are at it, please include peripheral prices into the equation. PS5 needs a 4K TV/monitor. Add that to the cost. It will need an extra controller (we know that people like sitting next to each other and play Multi player games in split screen). It needs a sound bar or headphones. A decent couch to enjoy the experience? This entire comparison is pointless. Peripherals is where the big money comes in for Consoles.

...And the price of their games.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Why would I want a workstation?

While you might not need a PC in your day to day home life, most people do.

LOL why do they chose the 12k console but they don't put a Blu-ray drive in the build pc? So take 10k(PS5 digital) and add 4.5k for a cheap home/office pc that is more than enough for the average Joe. Please build us a Pc for 14-15k that can compete with the PS5 with gaming.

It's 2020 bud - a R5k PC will induce suicide. I think my bro's ultra-cheap, barely passable laptop cost around R6.5k nearly 5 years ago. And if your PC is so s**t that it's only worth ~R5k, then a mediocre gaming PC will make a much more positive impact on your life than a gaming console as you'll suddenly have something with a bit of horsepower for managing your and your family's personal life.

Go to Wootware right now and filter your laptop options to include an i5 processor, 8GB memory and integrated graphics. Your cheapest option is R9,788. And yes, R20k or thereabouts will buy a nice gaming PC. Although vanishingly few PC gamers incur the cost of an entire rig in one go. You will generally upgrade your components bit by bit over the years to keep things current, which means you don't feel any specific upgrade too much. Every 4-5 years the biggest hit will be replacing your motherboard, CPU and memory in one go.

This argument is stupid anyway. A gaming PC should obviously be compared to a non-gaming PC. It's ridiculous to expect a gaming PC to cost the same as a console when it is an infinitely more capable machine. They're totally different sets of hardware.

And as mentioned, when you start factoring in the cost of games over 1-2 years, consoles don't come close to the affordability of PC gaming.

genetic

Honorary Master

It's 2020 bud - a R5k PC will induce suicide. I think my bro's ultra-cheap, barely passable laptop cost around R6.5k nearly 5 years ago. And if your PC is so s**t that it's only worth ~R5k, then a mediocre gaming PC will make a much more positive impact on your life than a gaming console as you'll suddenly have something with a bit of horsepower for managing your and your family's personal life.

Go to Wootware right now and filter your laptop options to include an i5 processor, 8GB memory and integrated graphics. Your cheapest option is R9,788. And yes, R20k or thereabouts will buy a nice gaming PC. Although vanishingly few PC gamers incur the cost of an entire rig in one go. You will generally upgrade your components bit by bit over the years to keep things current, which means you don't feel any specific upgrade too much. Every 4-5 years the biggest hit will be replacing your motherboard, CPU and memory in one go.

This argument is stupid anyway. A gaming PC should obviously be compared to a non-gaming PC. It's ridiculous to expect a gaming PC to cost the same as a console when it is an infinitely more capable machine. They're totally different sets of hardware.

And as mentioned, when you start factoring in the cost of games over 1-2 years, consoles don't come close to the affordability of PC gaming.

Exactly. Can a PS5 run Adobe Photoshop?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I hate articles like this. A gaming PC isn't just for gaming - it's an entire PC.

Add the R12,000 console cost on top of the price of a run-of-the-mill workstation and then compare what your money will get you. Spoiler alert: you'll end up with a really nice gaming PC.
I don't use a PC for anything else, haven't for years. Use my phone/tablet for pretty much everything. The odd document that I need to sign and scan is done on my work laptop. Personal laptop has been collecting dust...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Exactly. Can a PS5 run Adobe Photoshop?
How many console owners would need to run that though? My line of work doesn't include Photoshop and I'm sure that's the case with the majority of gamers...

genetic

Honorary Master
How many console owners would need to run that though? My line of work doesn't include Photoshop and I'm sure that's the case with the majority of gamers...

Exactly. You're proving your own point. A PC will always be more expensive as it can multitask.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I don't use a PC for anything else, haven't for years. Use my phone/tablet for pretty much everything. The odd document that I need to sign and scan is done on my work laptop. Personal laptop has been collecting dust...

1. Most people don't live in an Amish paradise
2. Don't buy a PC then

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Exactly. You're proving your own point. A PC will always be more expensive as it can multitask.
Wasn't trying to make a point. I personally believe in horses for courses. If you want a gaming PC, great. Same with consoles. And if you're in a line of work where you'd need a workstation, it makes more sense to get a gaming PC so you can kill two birds.

But I don't believe in the argument that a gaming PC in general is a better choice over consoles because you can use it for other stuff. That argument doesn't apply to most people, especially in the mobile age...

genetic

Honorary Master
Wasn't trying to make a point. I personally believe in horses for courses. If you want a gaming PC, great. Same with consoles. And if you're in a line of work where you'd need a workstation, it makes more sense to get a gaming PC so you can kill two birds.

But I don't believe in the argument that a gaming PC in general is a better choice over consoles because you can use it for other stuff. That argument doesn't apply to most people, especially in the mobile age...

A gaming PC does not equal a workstation. If you want gaming performance, you need to go 10th gen Intel - the fastest gaming CPU's out there, if you want workstation performance, you need to go Ryzen or Threadripper with a Quadro GPU, which isn't the best for gaming.

Gaming PC's tend to have kak CPU's and rely on GPU. Workstations need high-powered CPU's and a lot of RAM, non of which a general gaming PC has.

Jean Claude Vaaldamme

Very conveniently you changed it now to Laptop? You only fooling yourself. Your average guy use a few Office programs and maybe edit(basic stuff) a few photos and surf the web. You can buy desktops for 4-5k that can do all that easy and fast.