The Gauteng Heavy Rain and Hail Warning Thread!

Cius

Expert Member
I got like 50 drops on my nice clean car on the way home. Screw you rain! All you accomplished was to dirty my car again and ramp up the humidity a bit.

At least the heat seems to die down a bit by the weekend.

KT-B

Honorary Master
1548311804123.png
This was the temp in my car yesterday when I got into it. Dropped to 33 but that is still too hot in my opinion for 4pm

Segg

Expert Member
The forecasts are showing a decent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon from around 17:00

The QNH analysis is showing a moderate high pressure (stable air) system over GP and into the FS, this can actually be seen by the haze in the air this morning

The synoptic is showing a col over pretty much the whole of SA, but with the high pressure system from the QNH analysis only being 1023mb at its strongest I'm hoping the storms should develop to a decent size this afternoon

Capture.JPG

Speedster

Executive Member
The forecasts are showing a decent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon from around 17:00

The QNH analysis is showing a moderate high pressure (stable air) system over GP and into the FS, this can actually be seen by the haze in the air this morning

The synoptic is showing a col over pretty much the whole of SA, but with the high pressure system from the QNH analysis only being 1023mb at its strongest I'm hoping the storms should develop to a decent size this afternoon

View attachment 609838
Google sort-of agrees with you :) let the rain come!

Screenshot_20190124-113637.jpeg

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I'm finding the weather forecast apps quite inaccurate these days. My app said 10% chance of rain for yesterday. Wife's said 0%. In the middle of the rain we had, both mentioned "clear skies", and not a cloud in sight. We also didn't come near the predicted "39°C" we got as a warning, and other days we go waaaaay over the predicted temperature.

I think the tropical storms are a huge frustration for the weather forecasting places lately.

Geoff.D

Executive Member

View attachment 609838
The Tcs and TDs in the channel are dissipating and moving away from the continent. Things are returning to normal slowly. The TS predictions show a very low probability for storms today, However, as we are getting used to there are a few small storm cells south of JHB as per normal.