The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I think you're exaggerating a bit there.
Never had an A/C so no exaggeration. Use natural methods, A double cabity wall home, with high ceilings, thick curtains across the windows to keep the heat out with decent roof overhangs for shade on the walls. Not the new home designs which trade so-called style for common sense and energy efficiency.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Never had an A/C so no exaggeration. Use natural methods, A double cabity wall home, with high ceilings, thick curtains across the windows to keep the heat out with decent roof overhangs for shade on the walls. Not the new home designs which trade so-called style for common sense and energy efficiency.
So not really acclimatization then?
Just environment modification. Ok.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Oldstyle houses with thick walls, grass roof etc remains nice and cool whilst the modern counterparts need AC and a hefty Eskom bill...

I sometimes wonder about the new "modern" houses with lots of glass.

Like this one :

laudium1.png

When it is really hot, I moisten my shirt and natural cooling due to water evaporation helps a lot. But it takes a while getting used to the dampness.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Had a heavy downpour here in Norwood. A good 20mm in as many minutes. Was a little bit scary. Hail as well.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Very noisy and flashy in Pretoria East now.

Waiting for the heavens to open.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Had some light hail in Sandton CBD at about 5pm. Lightning struck a few buildings.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
lightning hit the house 4 times in succession. fook me. DB tripped on the first strike, massive blue sparks out of the phone sockets on the subsequent ones. It even induced a current on a passive sensor that's physically switched off, triggered the alarm.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Unconfirmed report of a lightning strike at Rietvlei mega substation.
Power was out in Wierdapark, Eldoraigne, Rooihuiskraal,Kosmosdal,The Reeds and a section of Hennopspark

Lots of rain and hail in Wierdapark. Road looked like a river.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Unconfirmed report of a lightning strike at Rietvlei mega substation.
Confirmed. Eskom techs are attending

I was standing on Nellmapius waiting for the light to turn green before taking the R21 towards Pretoria. All of a sudden a massive thunderclap and the traffic light shitted itself and turned off.

Never thought to take a look at the rietvlei substation, but the traffic lights next to R21 corporate park was still working, and no SMS from our server room monitoring unit regarding a power failure/generator switchover.

Last edited: