The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

maumau

Honorary Master
Yes. A cold front brushed the SW-Cape coast this evening (Sun 31st), and is likely to push moisture into the interior by Tues 2nd. See the 5 day outlook:

View attachment 640106
Sorry I can't interpret that. Does it say we'll have rain for a few days? Does it include Randburg in JHB?

If so I'm going to postpone the house painting scheduled for today :(

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Didn't check this morning, but it was at around 20mm last night before bedtime in PTA already. Had lots of heavy wind and then a soft downpour started, exactly what I needed for my lawn before winter. If it holds up to this afternoon, I'm fertilizing my lawn before winter to promote some root and leaf growth before it dies back. Here's to hoping!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
They've been saying that for years, I'll be surprised if that happens...

EDIT: It looks like they're finally taking down the legacy site aviation1.weathersa.co.za
The SAWS website changed drastically yesterday.
Major over haul.

Cius

Executive Member
Lets hope the rain for the next week hits the Vaal catchment a bit. Could do with a top up.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sorry I can't interpret that. Does it say we'll have rain for a few days? Does it include Randburg in JHB?

If so I'm going to postpone the house painting scheduled for today :(
Clearing from the west for gauteng. Very low probability of rain for late afternoon.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Very mixed forecasts. TS activity is expected to be isolated. Today in pta still a fair chance of more rain. Forecasts are the same till end of the week. Overcast, light rain but low probability. TS everyday afternoon but low probability

Segg

Expert Member
The SAWS website changed drastically yesterday.
Major over haul.
Which one? SAWS or SAWS Aviation?

There are 2 aviation websites, with the legacy site being taken down in the coming days it seems :) The "New" one has been around since 2016

Segg

Expert Member
The TAF'S are showing a very good chance of wide spread thunderstorms from 15:00 until 22:00, with the probability reducing towards Pretoria, but increasing again at Polokwane

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Which one? SAWS or SAWS Aviation?

There are 2 aviation websites, with the legacy site being taken down in the coming days it seems :) The "New" one has been around since 2016
The public website, www.wearthersa.co.za.
Lost access to the aviation1 site a few years back. have some access to the new site, but that is probably by accident.

Last edited:

BBSA

Honorary Master
⚠ALERT: SEVERE STORM WATCH in effect

⏰TIME: 2pm-6pm

WHEN: Tuesday, 2 April 2019

AREA: Across GP

POSSIBLE THREATS:
•HEAVY RAIN
•FLOODING
•DAMAGING WINDS
•HAIL

SOS NUMBERS:
112 - Free from any cell
/10177 State

maumau

Honorary Master
Very mixed forecasts. TS activity is expected to be isolated. Today in pta still a fair chance of more rain. Forecasts are the same till end of the week. Overcast, light rain but low probability. TS everyday afternoon but low probability
Tks. Postponed paint job till next week just in case.