The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Was raining so bad on the highway in Pretoria this morning I had to slow down as my car's traction control kept kicking in and disabling the cruise control.

At my house, 4km away, not a drop.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Was raining so bad on the highway in Pretoria this morning I had to slow down as my car's traction control kept kicking in and disabling the cruise control.

Check your tread depth

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

A classic example of inappropriate automation facility deciding for the driver what is best. Another MCAS example. Imagine! can't you override the tracking control?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I never use my cruise control in the rain. Feel like it'll throw me off the road.
It has never bothered me before, until this morning. It's hella scary to be driving at ~100km/h on a relatively quiet highway, and suddenly the car loses power and the orange traction control lights on the dash comes on, cruise control drops and you suddenly have to think.

Venomous

Honorary Master
In this short time of heavy rain it's rained more than 10mm so far.

I marked 10 and 20 so I can see those levels from inside. Its still raining so will leave it to fill more

Toxxyc

Expert Member
A classic example of inappropriate automation facility deciding for the driver what is best. Another MCAS example. Imagine! can't you override the tracking control?
I can turn it off, yes, but I prefer not to. The CR-V's traction control is damn nice, keeps the car dead straight and I won't turn it off. I tested the traction on that stretch of road and something wasn't right there, flooring the accellerator then and there made the car feel like it's almost aquaplaning, so I'm glad it kicked in.

PS: My tires are still legal, but they are coming down in tread, so I'll have to look into replacing them soon.

BBSA

Honorary Master
It has never bothered me before, until this morning. It's hella scary to be driving at ~100km/h on a relatively quiet highway, and suddenly the car loses power and the orange traction control lights on the dash comes on, cruise control drops and you suddenly have to think.
Takes you back to the good old days then we had to think while driving. :X3:

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
You always have to think and be aware... lapses like these's what causes accidents.

I'm also guilty of the same...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I can turn it off, yes, but I prefer not to. The CR-V's traction control is damn nice, keeps the car dead straight and I won't turn it off. I tested the traction on that stretch of road and something wasn't right there, flooring the accelerator then and there made the car feel like it's almost aquaplaning, so I'm glad it kicked in.

PS: My tires are still legal, but they are coming down in tread, so I'll have to look into replacing them soon.
Kicked IN or switched OFF? I hope you have read the manual and understand how these gimmicks actually work!
Look at the trouble Boeing is in with an automated system in the 737 Max the pilots did not understand.

In your car, you have an automated system doing things for you which is desensitising you to road conditions and when you need those driving skills, you get caught unawares.

Why do I call them gimmicks? Because that is what they are. They work against drivers building up experience of how to drive in all road conditions. Just like an automatic motor car, ultimately, in a country full of very bad roads, they are just a danger.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Coming down hard in Lynnwood Glen now.

And pretty much coming down horizontally thanks to big wind that came out of nowhere.

Guess it'll blow past quickly.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Aaaaand... Gone!

Sun looks like it'll break through the clouds any time now.

Pitbull

Verboten
Was dark outside here in Brooklyn and had a downpour for about 10 minutes, now it seems cleared up again. That was weird :D

namzsteve

Expert Member
Kicked IN or switched OFF? I hope you have read the manual and understand how these gimmicks actually work!
Look at the trouble Boeing is in with an automated system in the 737 Max the pilots did not understand.

In your car, you have an automated system doing things for you which is desensitising you to road conditions and when you need those driving skills, you get caught unawares.

Why do I call them gimmicks? Because that is what they are. They work against drivers building up experience of how to drive in all road conditions. Just like an automatic motor car, ultimately, in a country full of very bad roads, they are just a danger.
Very true!

As auto pilot in planes, if it fails at something, the computers just shut off, running away leaving the pilots to deal with whatever mess the computers created.