The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Segg

Expert Member
@Gordon_R do you know what exactly is happening here?

The usual moisture seems to be coming down from Angola/Namibia, combined with a cold front?

Segg

Expert Member
Big weather change in randburg.

Overcast, lots of wind and the temperature is dropping fast.

Delightful!
Same here in Bryanston

Looking at the Radar, I don't think we'll see any rain just yet... There are some VERY small and isolated cells heading South East, currently stretching down around the west rand

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Helluva wind that picked up here in the North. Can smell "dust" and it looks hazy at times. Probably the outer edge.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Wind almost took my curtains off the rails. Went to move the curtains and the dust blinded but no way in hell I'm closing these windows. My flat feels like sauna

Gordon_R

Executive Member
@Gordon_R do you know what exactly is happening here?

The usual moisture seems to be coming down from Angola/Namibia, combined with a cold front?
Its not a single system, but a series of overlapping developments, with different impacts at various locations spread in time. Weather is sometimes simple, other times too complicated to summarise.

Segg

Expert Member
Its not a single system, but a series of overlapping developments, with different impacts at various locations spread in time. Weather is sometimes simple, other times too complicated to summarise.
Thanks! Was thinking the same thing - this current system is definitely one of the more interesting ones!

Gordon_R

Executive Member
For some perspective - here is the satellite loop with radar overlay :)

Current Temperature Reports:

Bloem - 17
Durban (KSIA) - 22
Pietermaritzburg - 25
Kimberly - 20
Wonderboom (Pretoria) - 40 :eek:
Lanseria - 33
OR Tambo - 30

Can't wait for these cooler temperatures
The satellite animation tends to show high-level clouds, or at least the tops of thunderclouds. The motion of the atmosphere is a complex 3D pattern that evolves over time. You can't always extrapolate linearly, and the surface wind circulation is definitely different from the high-level movement of the clouds.