The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
ALERT: The SA Weather Service has issued a watch for the POSSIBILITY of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS

POTENTIAL THREATS: •Heavy rain •Localised flooding

AREA: All of Gauteng

WHEN: 24-25 January 2020

TIME: 4pm Friday until 8am Saturday

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
ALERT: The SA Weather Service has issued a watch for the POSSIBILITY of SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS

Last one was just wind. Must have been the beans.
Do they think it will be that bad ?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator

they said that yesterday, we had a wee bit of grumbling, but no floodings...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
We had one incredibly bright and loud lightning strike fairly close, then gentle rains started and measured 7 mm this morning.

Stokstert

Executive Member
One massive lightning strike very nearby damaged our freezer controller card, got stuck now on the defrost bypass mode and now runs permanently on freeze mode, not going into defrost mode anymore.

Only 9mm rain during the night.

Last edited:

voldoverse

Expert Member
One massive lightning strike very nearby destroyed our freezer controller card. Only 9mm rain during the night.
Yes that one last night, holy shimoly that was a wicked one, was chilling in bed looking out the window with the lights off admiring the weather and the next thing a flash so flippen bright it was almost red i am sure me and the wife nearly jumped through the roof.

Actually said to her damn can you imagine how bad it must have been to be where that thing connects the earth, blind and deaf for days im sure

voldoverse

Expert Member
We had one incredibly bright and loud lightning strike fairly close, then gentle rains started and measured 7 mm this morning.
Seems like the pta east folk all experienced that allmighty strike, cant miss it.

Hows your radar looking for tonight and the rest of the weekend? Anything interesting incoming?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
@Segg is the one who has access to the RADAR plots -- I lost my access because SAWS ruled I did not have a direct interest in the data.
And yes it was an almighty bang.

One massive lightning strike very nearby destroyed our freezer controller card. Only 9mm rain during the night.
And you are imagining things ---- Induced surges can't possibly damage electronics, only motors. :whistling: :unsure: