The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Luke7777

Executive Member
My finger on my phone cant hover ;)
I tend to forget about the digital age , but a press on it will do the same :D (browser on phone anyway, don't know about Tapatalk, etc.) Previous forum software at least showed your location (if supplied) under the avatar.

c3n0byt3

Can anyone tell me why barrage outflow picked up for this past rain event but it didn't for the previous ones?
Why would they let that water go?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Can anyone tell me why barrage outflow picked up for this past rain event but it didn't for the previous ones?
Why would they let that water go?
Barrage is kept at the same level pretty much all the time. This time, there was a LOT of rain in the barrage reservoir catchment area.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The barrage is not a dam wall per se but a rather large weir. Rainfall in the catchment area upstream from the barrage simply reaches a maximum and then overflows uncontrolled or controlled. And besides, that water ends up in the Bloemhof dam downstream.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I took the below photograph this morning. It is the Orange river about 30km from it's mouth, looking sad, where is my water? This is the worst that I have ever seen it and there is almost no flow in the river, the river grass is exploding and choking what water is left...image.jpg

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Water not being let out of the dams upstream to flow all the way to the coast.
That's the long-term consequence of building ever-more dams in drought-prone regions. We have already reached those limits in several river basins (in SA and worldwide). Some years may receive good outflows, in others almost nothing reaches the sea.