The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Segg

Expert Member
Now that the cloud has dispersed quite nicely, its good to see all the vegetation the satellite pic is picking up! :love: I don't recall when last I saw so much of SA this green!

Capture.JPG

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Now that the cloud has dispersed quite nicely, its good to see all the vegetation the satellite pic is picking up! :love: I don't recall when last I saw so much of SA this green!
Remember that many satellite images are false-colour, not true colour, so the green is somewhat exaggerated. In this case it is a mix of blue, red, and infrared, converted into pseudo-colour. Infrared is a very good marker of living vegetation, and is shown as bright green.

Shallow water appears black, even though it is muddy brown. Snow and ice-crystal clouds appear as light blue (cyan).

True colour images can be found on the Terra and Aqua, search for MODIS (NASA).

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Remember that many satellite images are false-colour, not true colour, so the green is somewhat exaggerated. In this case it is a mix of blue, red, and infrared, converted into pseudo-colour. Infrared is a very good marker of living vegetation, and is shown as bright green.

Shallow water appears black, even though it is muddy brown. Snow and ice-crystal clouds appear as light blue (cyan).

True colour images can be found on the Terra and Aqua, search for MODIS (NASA).
Even though the image posted by Segg is the one labelled "Day Natural Colours"?

Segg

Expert Member
Looks like a promising chance of thunderstorms this afternoon :D forecasts call from 13:00 however radar is currently showing some small cells just south west of Vosloorus