The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

Segg

Expert Member
There is a very good chance of heavy rain from around 22:00 until around 10:00 tomorrow morning

From 22:00 until 03:00 scattered thunderstorms are forecast (so hail is very likely, make sure your cars are undercover)

After that its going to be that hard torrential rain, the kind of rain that makes me stay in bed in the mornings :p

This is all being caused by the cold front uplifting the moist air still around central SA, its a very well defined front looking at the satellite image :)

sat.gif

Good returns are currently showing on the radars as well

Ottosdal is showing the thunderstorms at the storm front (this is quite textbook and very cool to see!)

Ottosdal.JPG

Bloem is showing the downpour in its wake

Bloem.JPG

And Bethlehem is also showing the edge of the front quite well!

Bethlehem.JPG

A brief explanation of whats going on

Frontal+Thunderstorms+from+advancing+cold+front.jpg

willsotaku

There is a very good chance of heavy rain from around 22:00 until around 10:00 tomorrow morning

From 22:00 until 03:00 scattered thunderstorms are forecast (so hail is very likely, make sure your cars are undercover)

After that its going to be that hard torrential rain, the kind of rain that makes me stay in bed in the mornings :p

This is all being caused by the cold front uplifting the moist air still around central SA, its a very well defined front looking at the satellite image :)

View attachment 830101

Good returns are currently showing on the radars as well

Ottosdal is showing the thunderstorms at the storm front (this is quite textbook and very cool to see!)

View attachment 830107

Bloem is showing the downpour in its wake

View attachment 830105

And Bethlehem is also showing the edge of the front quite well!

View attachment 830103

A brief explanation of whats going on

View attachment 830117

Hopefully stays quite in Irene we had a power outage for 7 hours thanks to the thunderstom hitting the substation.

Luke7777

Executive Member
40 mm in gauge. Gauge smashed. Yard looks like mid winter. No leaves on the trees and shrubs. Hail still lying on the ground like snow drifts.
Much more than 40 mm
No hail here. Lots of lightning though . Not often we get rain from the North, and when we do it's usually ugly :) Was waiting for the hail to hit us, but it seemed to stay just to the north of us, on its way to you :) About 15mm

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Had a nice drizzle just now.

Hope weather clears up tomorrow, want some hotness. I miss the warmth of the sun.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No hail here. Lots of lightning though . Not often we get rain from the North, and when we do it's usually ugly :) Was waiting for the hail to hit us, but it seemed to stay just to the north of us, on its way to you :) About 15mm
Hail was still lying in heaps in my back garden and front garden tonight at 18:00. Had hardly melted at all. I have a heap of leaves and broken branches. Estimate about 4 cubic meters, I now have 5 broken roof tiles to deal with and it is raining again!
Rain gauge is smashed. Brand new one! 2nd one smashed this year by hail. Not a very happy person today. Dog tired from tidying up. The hail was so heavy it has actually flattened the grass on the pavement. Looks as if I cut it.
None of it was big hail. Smaller than marbles and many were perfectly round. Set like concrete in the drains. I used a hammer and cold chisel to chip it away to open the drains this morning to get the water to run out. Pool overflowed. Never had that before,

McT

The Humble Scot!
Raining hard now. Had been like this for 15 minutes or more. Will probably a little cooler tomorrow.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Alberton

Nov 150mm
Dec 259mm
Jan 59mm
Feb 155mm
Mar 97mm
Apr 140mm

Total: 860mm