The Gauteng Weather and Storm Warning Thread!

voldoverse

Expert Member
I see Snow report sa also predicted possible snow in gauteng tomorrow wtf?? Would love to hear our mybb weather pros weigh in here

Segg

Expert Member
Snow is a possibility - depending how intense the precipitation will be in the clouds and the temperature of the air as the snow falls to the ground

The minimum temperature currently forecast for tomorrow is 2 degrees at 06:00 with a broken cloud base at 360m and towering cumulus clouds at 1200m later in the afternoon

If the freezing level is low enough tomorrow, I can foresee snow in the early hours of the morning before things warm up, and possibly later in the afternoon with the arrival of the towering cumulus clouds with bases at the current freezing level

The current significant weather chart shows a freezing level of 9500ft (Johannesburg is 5500ft)

If the precipitation is light - the snow may have enough time to melt on its way down and turn into rain if temperatures closer to the ground are too high

I guess we'll see what happens :cool:

sigwx.JPG

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I see Snow report sa also predicted possible snow in gauteng tomorrow wtf?? Would love to hear our mybb weather pros weigh in here
Anything is possible, but I would say that outcome is low probability. Alternatives include light hail or sleet, or traces of snow which do not accumulate due to high surface temperatures. This is a relatively compact and moderate intensity event, not something I would associate with extreme weather.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Well, the temperature is busily plummeting at our place. Clear skies with a rather cold wind from the South East. We had the coldest night this year and the coldest for many winters. The temperature at our place on Sunday Morning was -1 Deg C in our back yard. The birdbath froze solid. We only reached 20 today.

Reactions: McT

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
60% chance of rain for tomorrow afternoon, 3 degrees tomorrow morning and 13-degree max. Does not support the snow prediction particularly well, but we will have to see.

McT

The Humble Scot!
60% chance of rain for tomorrow afternoon, 3 degrees tomorrow morning and 13-degree max. Does not support the snow prediction particularly well, but we will have to see.
Party pooper! :mad:

/jk

voldoverse

Expert Member
Was planning a long drive tomorrow, through some game reserves.

Maybe I should put the all terrain tyres on?
Which game reserves were you planning? Would love to make the AWD system on my volvo do something atleast hahaha

APoc184

Honorary Master
Windscreen was wet this morning at 6h00 when I left for work. Garsfontein x10

And now in Lynnwood Glen there is a drizzle coming down.

First time in 18 years in Pretoria that I have two layers of t-shirts on and my warmest jacket. Getting old or it is really damn cold.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What did you change?

How did it go, hope you had a hot shower to warm up when you got back.
Work, DB needs to be reorged and reindexed, also I'm still doing it, seems some tables needed to be rebuilt

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Very light rain at moment in Heidelberg and not as cold as they predicted although still only 5 degrees