The government wants your medical aid information

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
The government wants your medical aid information

The DA is fighting a plan by the government to collect private data about medical scheme members from the Council for Medical Schemes (CMS).

The DA’s Shadow Minister of Health, Wilmot James, presented evidence of what is believed to be unlawful conduct by the health authorities.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I sure hope that the medical aid insurance companies aren't rolling over and handling info over on a silver platter.

Thor

Honorary Master
Why does the government want this?

What do the Guptas hope to achieve with our medical information?

Ianvn

They probably want it for the National Health Insurance (NHI) which is still in development afaik.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
I sure hope that the medical aid insurance companies aren't rolling over and handling info over on a silver platter.

I would hope so, too.

But, having just recently signed a new contract when Discovery took over our medical aid, I was concerned about the clauses which basically enable them to do just that if they posit a sincere-sounding reason.

Edit: Oh, and POPI? This government directive seems to be in direct violation of that act.

OCP

Expert Member
Doesn't SARS already have all the MA info when you include the statement of contributions with your return?

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
I don't think so. They may have MA account details such as number, dependants and so on, but I doubt they have access to actual ICD or CPT codes.

...or do they?

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Thanks, LL.

6. (1) This Act does not apply to the processing of personal information—

d) by the Cabinet and its committees or the Executive Council of a province;

****ed again.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

TBH I really doubt this is malicious. They probably want to understand what the medical costs are of people in this country.

I'm all for it. Its probably bad for the medical aids because they do rip us off a lot. It could also expose tax fraud and doctors that exploit the system.

We pay for private medical aid AND taxes that go to public health... we pay twice. I only see that exposing this kind of information would help us.

Thor

Honorary Master
TBH I really doubt this is malicious. They probably want to understand what the medical costs are of people in this country.

I'm all for it. Its probably bad for the medical aids because they do rip us off a lot. It could also expose tax fraud and doctors that exploit the system.

We pay for private medical aid AND taxes that go to public health... we pay twice. I only see that exposing this kind of information would help us.
You make a good point, but something inside me says there is other motives when last did our government do something with the intention and goals of genuinely bettering the lives and exposing fraud?

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
You make a good point, but something inside me says there is other motives when last did our government do something with the intention and goals of genuinely bettering the lives and exposing fraud?

The intention is always good, the implementation always botched.

ProfA

Honorary Master
What bad can the government do when they see how we are getting royally screwed by the private medical industry??

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
SHEEPLE !

I am quite suprised ANYONE would EVER trust this ANC government ( and their handlers ) with ANYTHING !!!!!!!

Absinth

It would be great if the information can be used to do in depth analytics to find trends, that can help the government to identify possible areas to invest in (either treatments or better preventative measures).

But the possibility to exploit this information (by anyone access to it) for pure financial gain is also there.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
It would be great if the information can be used to do in depth analytics to find trends, that can help the government to identify possible areas to invest in (either treatments or better preventative measures).

But the possibility to exploit this information (by anyone access to it) for pure financial gain is also there.

How ?

Anyway, In a perfect world the governments financial gain is our gain.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

You mean when last did the media report on it.

The current health minister has actually done a lot. He has his flaws but for the most part he has done a lot to improve the system.

When it comes to the medical aids vs the government, its a close race to see who I trust the least.