The graphics card deals are coming

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
The graphics card deals are coming

If you are a PC gamer, then your mouth is most certainly watering at the moment.

Nvidia and AMD have launched RTXs, GTXs, XTs, RXs, 5700s, 2080s, and VIIs all in one year – in a case of there being too much choice for an average user.

H1TMANlol

Vega is EOL (56,64 and vii) unless you can find a good deal 2nd hand. The 2060,2070 is pointless now that the $uper cards are out . Anything more then a 2060$uper is overpriced. Rather look at the 5700 AMD cards , better price/performance.

Genisys

Executive Member
Vega is EOL (56,64 and vii) unless you can find a good deal 2nd hand. The 2060,2070 is pointless now that the $uper cards are out . Anything more then a 2060$uper is overpriced. Rather look at the 5700 AMD cards , better price/performance.
AMD cards skimp on RTX, so your advice is perfectly invalid.

Genisys

Executive Member
Riiight. And ray tracing is of course supported by masses of games, and makes no negative impact on performance. Oh wait...
And everyone wants to save money on Ray tracing capable cards because when more games get Ray tracing support we will just use our AMD cards to do Ray Tracing. Oh, wait...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And everyone wants to save money on Ray tracing capable cards because when more games get Ray tracing support we will just use our AMD cards to do Ray Tracing. Oh, wait...
At 2060 "Super" it's not worth the FPS hit for a vast majority of cases. There are other graphic settings I'd rather turn up.
The question is always one of price/performance, and we'll see what everything looks like once prices settle a bit to recommend one over the other, plus use case is important.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Still happy with my Vega 64, and I paid R 4000. I am, however, considering upgrading to a 5700 XT. Though it isn't needed I want to downgrade my PSU and the Vega 64 is too power hungry in order to do so. I will only consider RTX when NVidia makes their next move, but I wouldn't mind a 2080 SUPER.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Riiight. And ray tracing is of course supported by masses of games, and makes no negative impact on performance. Oh wait...
It will be sooner than later. Most E3 AAA titles which were announced will have RTX or is planning to have RTX. Not like the console makers, AMD and Intel are ignoring it. AMD has patented a hybrid model, and they do talk about it a lot. The market is still to see how path tracing and AMD's hybrid tracing will compare to NVidia's Ray Tracing.

Ray Tracing is also improving and with NVidia's latest drivers it has improved a lot when using DX12. The impact is being minimised and Ray Tracing is also applied uniquely.

NVidia put it on the radar, Adored elaborated on it, and Team Red people had to hate it. Just wait until AMD’s Hybrid Tracing is coming about, it will be hailed next level…

Swa

Honorary Master
Ray tracing will be a niche requirement for the next few years at least. No reason to waste a couple grand on it now when by the time it's mainstream it will be supported by all vendors and available on mainstream cards.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Ray tracing will be a niche requirement for the next few years at least. No reason to waste a couple grand on it now when by the time it's mainstream it will be supported by all vendors and available on mainstream cards.
All GPUs, within the next cycle, are likely to be Ray Tracing, Path Tracing or Hybrid Tracing compatible next year.

All these titles will be Ray Tracing enabled,
ignoring the console titles. I wouldn't remotely call it niche. VR is a niche. Ray Tracing is now a development tool currently only supported by NVidia hardware and their API.

Swa

Honorary Master
All GPUs, within the next cycle, are likely to be Ray Tracing, Path Tracing or Hybrid Tracing compatible next year.

All these titles will be Ray Tracing enabled,
ignoring the console titles. I wouldn't remotely call it niche. VR is a niche. Ray Tracing is now a development tool currently only supported by NVidia hardware and their API.
Good, then in 2-3 years there will be some mainstream cards that can actually handle it without severely slowing down. Right now there isn't much sense in enabling it over other features that aren't so computing intensive.

Herr_Koos

By which time the first gen RTX cards will be end of life, and AMD will likely have their first gen ray tracing support in place. Can you honestly say it's worth spending money on right now? Also, is the visual improvement (if any) worth the massive hit in frame rates? Personally, my answer is hell no. It's up to you of course, but I'm not interested. Not yet.

Last edited:

Herr_Koos

It will be sooner than later. Most E3 AAA titles which were announced will have RTX or is planning to have RTX. Not like the console makers, AMD and Intel are ignoring it. AMD has patented a hybrid model, and they do talk about it a lot. The market is still to see how path tracing and AMD's hybrid tracing will compare to NVidia's Ray Tracing.

Ray Tracing is also improving and with NVidia's latest drivers it has improved a lot when using DX12. The impact is being minimised and Ray Tracing is also applied uniquely.

NVidia put it on the radar, Adored elaborated on it, and Team Red people had to hate it. Just wait until AMD’s Hybrid Tracing is coming about, it will be hailed next level…
Ray tracing will be worth spending money on eventually. It really isn't right now. If you buy Nvdia, you're forced to pay extra for the RT cores and tensor cores and whatnot because you have no choice, even if you're not interested in ray tracing and just want a better gaming card.

I'll consider spending money on an RT-capable card when the technology has matured and support has become more widespread. Until then, no thanks. Not worth the extra money.

Herr_Koos

Actually, support for it was baked into the DX12 API by Microsoft (see Microsoft DXR), so theoretically anyone can do it. Nvidia are the only ones that have hardware level support for it.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Actually, support for it was baked into the DX12 API by Microsoft (see Microsoft DXR), so theoretically anyone can do it. Nvidia are the only ones that have hardware level support for it.
Yes, and they enabled the,

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1660,
NVIDIA TITAN Xp (2017),
NVIDIA TITAN X (2016),
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1080,
GeForce GTX 1070 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1070 and
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

which doesn't have hardware level support which has to utilise traditional shader cores. Hence I actually said, "currently".

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yes, and they enabled the,

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1660,
NVIDIA TITAN Xp (2017),
NVIDIA TITAN X (2016),
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1080,
GeForce GTX 1070 Ti,
GeForce GTX 1070 and
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

which doesn't have hardware level support which has to utilise traditional shader cores. Hence I actually said, "currently".
They didn't enable, that's software support rather than hardware accelerated, two different things. You'll actually find that "any" card can do it, the question is performance.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They didn't enable, that's software support rather than hardware accelerated, two different things. You'll actually find that "any" card can do it, the question is performance.
Yes, they enabled it through driver API support. Maybe you didn't read,

which doesn't have hardware level support which has to utilise traditional shader cores.
why don't you actually enable DXR on a Radeon and report back?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yes, they enabled it through driver API support. Maybe you didn't read,

why don't you actually enable DXR on a Radeon and report back?
https://www.techpowerup.com/254528/nvidia-extends-directx-raytracing-dxr-support-to-many-geforce-gtx-gpus
Check the actual performance numbers, Nvidia enabling it is pretty useless and a marketing gimmick.
1563196604341.png
Yes, I totally want to drop down to medium settings 1080p which still has dips under 60fps over 1440p ultra in an FPS game on a 1080 Ti. Might as well not have enabled support, which is what AMD picked.

If they enabled support now, people will compare actual FPS numbers, saying AMD is bad etc. rather than saying AMD has no DXR support.