The great ATM rip-off

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
surprise surprise

the bank "interconnection" rate........

RoosTa

Expert Member
Standard Bank has argued that these charges are necessary to encourage customers to use its ATMs and prevent free-riding by smaller banks.
LOL! As long as they're the ones 'free-riding', it's ok.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I think another step in the right direction would be not to charge for debit card transactions, I don't understand the logic behind credit card transactions being free and then charge for ones using a debit card. This would probably cut the amount of cash being used, which, considering all the security issues here, is only a good thing.

McSack

Executive Member
I think another step in the right direction would be not to charge for debit card transactions, I don't understand the logic behind credit card transactions being free and then charge for ones using a debit card. This would probably cut the amount of cash being used, which, considering all the security issues here, is only a good thing.

credit card transactions are charged to the vendor at between 2% and 5% of the transaction value

Syndyre

Honorary Master
credit card transactions are charged to the vendor at between 2% and 5% of the transaction value
I know, I meant direct bank charges to the consumer, AFAIK debit card transactions are charged to the merchant in a similar way anyway?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Most vendors have built that cost into their pricing, and therefore when you pay cash or with a debit card, they get extra profit.

Or at least thats my understanding of how the system has ended up working.

Gooku

My FNB Smart account charges only R6 for withdraw of R1000 from FNB ATM
It is 40% ~45 % cheaper than most other banks (+- R11 for R1000 withdraw)

Price competition is the solution to excessive bank charges
it is what I believe.

Ideally , the bank fee structure must be easy for consumer to compare, therefor decide the best package for own individual requirement.

Last edited: