The heartburn... Oh the heartburn...

APoc184

Honorary Master
Heartburn or Sooibrand(afrikaans)

Been really struggling with heartburn the last couple of years.
It's so bad at times that I can't breath when sleeping. It really takes my breath away(and not in a good way).

So I have tried Gaviscon and its rubbish. I have no doubt that it works for most people, but in my case I finish a large bottle in 2 days. And then it doesnt even really bring that much relief.

Rennie's. Whahaha. What a joke.

Only thing I have found that does work for me is RaniHexal pills. But these pills reduce the amount of acid in your stomach(I think), and not sure that is such a good thing. And the pharmacies refuse to give me more than 10 at a time.

I know the best solution would be to get the operation done. But there is no medical aid. How much would this cost?

Do you have any other remedies or medication you can recommend?

I got it bad, real bad.

Morgoth

Executive Member
Bicarbonate of soda (Koeksoda) with a glass of water, works like a charm.

Surv0

Executive Member
I also suffer badly, probably a result of stress, but it comes in waves.
Live off rennies but will need a stronger type soon.
I have been recommended a remedy called Relief - apparently it works like a charm, cleans you out, the indigestion is a result of bad diet etc and few other things...
Ive had to stop eating spicy food to prevent heartburn.
check this site, given to me by the women who runs it, shes one of my clients...

www.mywinwebpage.com/marisatheron

Product = Relief (there is even a money back garantee if it doesnt work), ive spoken to 3 people using it, and they swear by it. Helps with IBS/spastic colon etc..

Defib

Expert Member
You may have GERD/GORD

I suffer from it and its terrible, the acid had burnt my oesophagus

I had to go for a gastroscopy, which wasnt bad at all!!

Now I take medication which decreases acid production - im thinking u might have the same issue as me

Rennies, koeksoda and other *** wont work pal

My surgeon said to me that surgery isnt the only answer

Surv0

Executive Member
I read up on GERD, i dont think i have it, but if my issues persist, i may develop it.

Defib

Expert Member
dont take too many Rennies etc, you will end up alkalotic or develop alkalosis

prox

Your answer = LOSEC (generic = ALTOSEC)

Go for gastroscopy though, to check for ulcer

OhGats

1. Loose weight if you are carrying too much!
2. Ask your doctor to see what he can recommend. I used Omez and within 10 days the heartburn had eased, but it wont work for everybody. From what I recall there are meds that turn off the acid making system a bit, and one that reduces the acid levels. Otc meds are short term solutions only
3. Throw away your otc meds and sort it out properly, as mentioned previously, you could have an ulcer, you could have a hernia or it could be something else. The long term effects of GERD are not pretty.

Last edited:

APoc184

Honorary Master
You may have GERD/GORD

I suffer from it and its terrible, the acid had burnt my oesophagus

I had to go for a gastroscopy, which wasnt bad at all!!

Now I take medication which decreases acid production - im thinking u might have the same issue as me

Rennies, koeksoda and other *** wont work pal

My surgeon said to me that surgery isnt the only answer

The pills I am currently taking also reduces my acid production. Don't know if it is the same. Mine is called RaniHexal 150. 150 being the dosis in mg. I think there is also higher like 300mg and 450mg but you need a prescription for those.

Will try the gastroscopy. Can I do this at my GP or does it need to be done at a hospital or clinic?

APoc184

Honorary Master
1. loose weight if you are carrying too much!
2. Ask your doctor to see what he can recommend. I used Omez and within 7 dauys the heartburn had eased, but it wont work for everybody.
3. throw away you otc meds and sort it out properly, the long term effects of GERD are not pretty.

Overweight I am not, but I am sure it does have a major effect on some people.

I just did some reading about GERD. And I do believe I have it.
1. I do have excessive saliva.
2. I do sometimes struggle to swallow.
3. The reflux does push all the way up to my throat.
4. And i certainly have the heartburn

The weird thing is: All the food linked as a cause is not in my diet.

I do not really drink coffee or alcohol(maybe 2 cups of coffee a week)
I do not smoke.
Do not eat very fatty foods
Dont eat vegetables like tomatoes and other acidic vegetables.
And I do not drink a lot of carbonated drinks.

I must add that I also do not drink a lot of water. This might increase the acid level.

Will be seeking medical attention.

DeadCore

Expert Member
having the same where u try to sleep then ur throat starts burning and lots a spit comes out *drools* seriously

Morgoth

Executive Member
well usually the pills have some kind of base formula in them to neutralize the stomic-acid, but if this problem persist I think you should see a professional about it rather then this forum we might all be totally on the wrong track here =),
It might be high cholesterol too causing actual heart pain,

APoc184

Honorary Master
having the same where u try to sleep then ur throat starts burning and lots a spit comes out *drools* seriously

+100 Exactly what happens to me. Sometimes I wake up at night struggling to breath and only after standing up and drinking some water I catch my breath again. By then the burning is so bad in my throat and mouth that I dont fall asleep again.

APoc184

Honorary Master
well usually the pills have some kind of base formula in them to neutralize the stomic-acid, but if this problem persist I think you should see a professional about it rather then this forum we might all be totally on the wrong track here =),
It might be high cholesterol too causing actual heart pain,

Im just trying to get an idea of how others treated the problem and if some have the same strange symptoms as me. Will definitely go see a doctor.

As for the cholesterol level. I thought about that and had my cholesterol tested. The little testers just kept saying LOW LOW LOW. The nurse had to take out the manual to check it up because she has never gotten that result.
Apparently my cholesterol levels are so low that the tester cannot pick it up. She said we must go with the laboratory test. Still to do that.

Can anybody confirm. If you decide on surgery and they fix the valve or something. Then you will not be able to puke?
Just heard this once and not sure how true it is.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Second vote for Altosec, I suffered from real bad heartburn.

Now for around R260 a month I just take 2 altosecs in the morning and I can eat what I want, sleep peacefully and my life is so much better. You could probably even get by on 1 a day. Go chat to your doctor...

DeadCore

Expert Member
i kinda worked around the problem by drinking lots of milk and not eating exotic foods like fancy reasturants