The heartburn... Oh the heartburn...

Gothan

Expert Member
I use histak 75 (or it could be histek 75), and it works like a charm, don't need a prescription, can buy it at the pharmacy, 1 in the morning and you are sorted. I've noticed I get a lot of heartburn from drinking too much waters. Another thing that alsdo works well is the anti acid powder, I think its called de witts powder, but it tastes just horrible

APoc184

Honorary Master
Oh yes, another thing I remember was to raise the head of your bed slightly and dont sleep on your right hand side if you can help it.

The raising the head thing does work to a degree.
I can't comment on the sleeping on your left side. Anybody care to explain why this would make a difference?

Kim_Webchick

Expert Member
It sounds more like your gall bladder my mother had this same symptoms and she had gall stones they removed the whole bladder

hoegh

Expert Member
yip. my gf's mother also had gall stones and had her gall bladder removed about 2 months ago, its hectic!! but the pain of the attacks is pretty bad, its like a combination of a heart attack and heart burn, but if the pain continues throw the gall stones thing at your GP, you can go for scans to see if there is a problem, there is also medication you can take to dissolve the stones, and lastly there is surgery.

Mila

Honorary Master
Heartburn or Sooibrand(afrikaans)

Been really struggling with heartburn the last couple of years.
It's so bad at times that I can't breath when sleeping. It really takes my breath away(and not in a good way).

So I have tried Gaviscon and its rubbish. I have no doubt that it works for most people, but in my case I finish a large bottle in 2 days. And then it doesnt even really bring that much relief.

Rennie's. Whahaha. What a joke.

Only thing I have found that does work for me is RaniHexal pills. But these pills reduce the amount of acid in your stomach(I think), and not sure that is such a good thing. And the pharmacies refuse to give me more than 10 at a time.

I know the best solution would be to get the operation done. But there is no medical aid. How much would this cost?

Do you have any other remedies or medication you can recommend?

I got it bad, real bad.

Stop eating rubish
Lose weight
or if you are pregnant it will go away after nine months and will take 2 weeks and then you would rather take the acid for 18 years......:D

Seriously lose weight eat healthy and cut the beer.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Stop eating rubish
Lose weight
or if you are pregnant it will go away after nine months and will take 2 weeks and then you would rather take the acid for 18 years......:D

Like I said in previous posts. I do not eat any of the foods associated with heartburn. I do not drink or smoke.
And I am in no way overweight. I play squash 2 hours per day and I am in very good condition.

As for the pregnancy??:eek: I doubt I'll be getting pregnant in my lifetime.... Maybe when my GF gets pregnant she will take my heartburn..

Mila

Honorary Master
Like I said in previous posts. I do not eat any of the foods associated with heartburn. I do not drink or smoke.
And I am in no way overweight. I play squash 2 hours per day and I am in very good condition.

As for the pregnancy??:eek: I doubt I'll be getting pregnant in my lifetime.... Maybe when my GF gets pregnant she will take my heartburn..

LOLZ!!

Oke

Gothan

Expert Member
Stop eating rubish
Lose weight

You know, he asked for constructive advice! Not something that is impossible to do

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Cut out fatty and junk food totally.

Start eating more healthier foods (salads etc).

Do excercises.

And try not to eat chocolate or drink coffee before bedtime. Also, don't eat a big meal before bedtime.

Good luck.

fastesthamster

Do excercises.

And try not to eat chocolate or drink coffee before bedtime. Also, don't eat a big meal before bedtime.

Good luck.

And now? Why a resurrection after a year?

Cheri_N

Expert Member
Didn't read all the posts so it might have been mentioned already:

One word: Gaviscon

Mars

Honorary Master

Do excercises.

Good luck.

None of those will make a difference if you suffer from GORD : Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disorder.

Its when your lower oesophageal sphincter does not close properly, allowing the acid in your stomach to rise up into your esophagus. Prolonged exposure can lead to Oesophageal cancer as the cells in your esophagus try to mutate into stomach cells to deal with the acid.
There are basically only two ways to deal with this, Gaviscon and Rennies will give instant relief but only last 10 minuets or so before its back (and usually worse):
Surgery, they sow the sphincter half closed to prevent the acid from rising, or
Chronic medication like Rani-Hexal or Zantac will reduce the amount of acid in the stomach for up to 12 hours without any major negative effects.

Since the surgery is not covered by medical aid (its considered cosmetic for some bizarre reason) I basically take a Rani-Hexal a day with my multi vits...

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
I rarely get heartburn but if the problem does arrive the cure is as close as a bottle of Yogisip, cheap & tastes great.