The heartburn... Oh the heartburn...

Splinter

Honorary Master
Sorry for the necro, but I reckoned it was better than a new thread.

I have been suffering from indigestion/heart burn for a while. As I got older, it just got worse and worse. Was consuming Gaviscon like sweets. Constantly.

At a braai a month or so ago, heard someone mentioning bread gave him chronic heartburn.

Thought it was odd, but gave it a try. I have avoided bread, pasta and anything wheat based since then. It works. I will consume rice and potatoes, but avoiding bread has been amazing. Dropped a few kg's as well. But not having that acid burning is beyond awesome.

XennoX

Expert Member
Sorry for the necro, but I reckoned it was better than a new thread.

I have been suffering from indigestion/heart burn for a while. As I got older, it just got worse and worse. Was consuming Gaviscon like sweets. Constantly.

At a braai a month or so ago, heard someone mentioning bread gave him chronic heartburn.

Thought it was odd, but gave it a try. I have avoided bread, pasta and anything wheat based since then. It works. I will consume rice and potatoes, but avoiding bread has been amazing. Dropped a few kg's as well. But not having that acid burning is beyond awesome.

Yup. Bread, pies, cake - anything that is made with wheat, gives me crazy heartburn. Luckily my heartburn stops very quickly with 1 sachet of Eno.

Surv0

Executive Member
I was on rennies and heavier antacids for years until I cut out bread/wheat. Immediately changed... felt better as well.

In fact If i have bread now, it is often followed by rennies.

bigboy529

Expert Member
For you guys struggling try the following.
Buy yourself some concentrated lemon juce, note real lemon not some coldrink with sugars and other stuff in it.
Every morning with your breakfast pore yourself a drink, 2 shots of the lemon juice in a big glass with water. It's not very lekker in the beginning but eventually you get use to the taste, drink this for at least a month or 2 and see how the heart burn disappears. If it returns again after a few months then you only have to drink the juice again for a week or 3.

maumau

Honorary Master
For you guys struggling try the following.
Buy yourself some concentrated lemon juce, note real lemon not some coldrink with sugars and other stuff in it.
Every morning with your breakfast pore yourself a drink, 2 shots of the lemon juice in a big glass with water. It's not very lekker in the beginning but eventually you get use to the taste, drink this for at least a month or 2 and see how the heart burn disappears. If it returns again after a few months then you only have to drink the juice again for a week or 3.

This works, it alkalises the system.

Last edited:

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Just keep a bottle of cold water handy, relieves the heartburn. 500ml should do the trick , dont gulp the whole bottle , but spread it over a few mouthfulls.

If you suffer with acid reflux when lying down, same thing although dont lie back down again, sit up for a while

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
You need to find the source of the heartburn, as explained earlier , might be breads, pastas. if so you are most likely wheat intolerant. If not , do you drink lots of coffee/tea or have cereal with milk. Then it might be milk. As adults we are the only species that uses milk as adults. Difficult to drop though but stop for a week or two, you'll probably feel much better after you've stopped using milk.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Try the generic of Nexiam next time. Heard it's made by the same company anyway.

Craig_

Honorary Master
I had really bad heartburn, went for a gastroscopy and the doc recommended the Nissan op. Never looked back again. Had the op last year on the 7th of January. Haven't had heartburn ever since. And I had it bad, would wake up in the middle of the night with the acid coming out via my nose, burning like hell.

Splinter

Honorary Master
. Immediately changed... felt better as well.

Agreed. I have been feeling better overall as well. Far more alert in the afternoon at work than I used to be.

Was chatting to someone on the weekend who's father used to own a bakery. This is hearsay of course, but her father was of the opinion that bread today is not the same as it used to be 20 years ago. Cheaper substances used to make the bread feel more filling and to drive costs down.

And then you have something like the Sasko Premium bread. While Woolies white bread starts getting mouldy in a few days, this stuff stays "fresh" for days on end. Can only be chemicals doing that.