The hidden taxes South Africans are paying

ProfA

Honorary Master
How come when I have private medical costs and declare them to SARS, I get nothing back?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Should be able to claim back private school fees as there aren't any government schools in my area as well, but hey.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Should be able to claim back private school fees as there aren't any government schools in my area as well, but hey.

There is actually a hell of lot one should be able to claim back for.

Water purifiers in your home.
Generators and other electrical backup equipment. Solar panels etc.
Cost of new windscreens due to stone chips.
Cost of new rims (and other car parts) due to the state of the roads.

All the above are industries which did not exist or were EXTREMELY small 20-30 years ago. Now they are huge. Industries created SOLEY by the general decline of the country.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Education is a joke. Being on a governing body from this year has shown me some horrible things that noone knows.

For example, do you know that schools who receive subsidies are required to give parts of it back to the local dept of education to help them fund their costs? Nevermind that school subsidies are ridiculously low in the first place.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
How come when I have private medical costs and declare them to SARS, I get nothing back?

If your company is paying for it on your behalf they've already taxed you less every month so you've already gotten it back.

ProfA

Honorary Master
If your company is paying for it on your behalf they've already taxed you less every month so you've already gotten it back.
I know this. What I am talking about, is cash payments out of my pocket directly for medical expenses.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Education is a joke. Being on a governing body from this year has shown me some horrible things that noone knows.

For example, do you know that schools who receive subsidies are required to give parts of it back to the local dept of education to help them fund their costs? Nevermind that school subsidies are ridiculously low in the first place.

How much of it is supposed to be given back? Why don't they just give the school less and keep whatever they expect given back later??

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
I've been saying for years we should be able to claim back our security costs from SARS. Add to that medical etc....
You're dreaming. It's not about actual real things with these people. Give them half a validation for extra revenue to waste and they will jump at it. Put their fingers in their ears and go: "Lalalalalalalalala!" at the top of their voices.

3WA

Honorary Master
Make breeders pay a top-up tax. The schools and parks are for them, and they (together with the old) benefit disproportionately from the health system as well. And they're always using the roads to drive their goddamn kids to soccer practice.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
How much of it is supposed to be given back? Why don't they just give the school less and keep whatever they expect given back later??

Up to R50k. It depends, it's not a direct payment but more like a "support fee" , ie if the break a computer or need to replace it, they can request one of their funded schools to fund it. If the school refuses, things take longer and other bureaucratic shenanigans.

In my opinion, it gives them a out for bad budgeting or planning and access to mini cashcows when they want something.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Make breeders pay a top-up tax. The schools and parks are for them, and they (together with the old) benefit disproportionately from the health system as well. And they're always using the roads to drive their goddamn kids to soccer practice.

What about "breeders" who send their off spring to private school and thus do not use government schools and very unlikely parks? There is just so much silly in your post, I.cant.even.

3WA

Honorary Master
What about "breeders" who send their off spring to private school and thus do not use government schools and very unlikely parks? There is just so much silly in your post, I.cant.even.

Good on them for creating an industry. But they're a very small percentage of the population.