The highest broadband speeds for South Africa homes

Deandbn

What would you do with this speed, even if it was true..
I mean how many movies can you watch at one time..

cavedog

Honorary Master
It's not about watching 20 movies all in 8k at the same time it's how long you are willing to wait for the content to be downloaded or shared.

Choosing between 1Gbps and 10Mbps simply means whether you are willing to wait 17min or 29 hours to download a 120GB newly released game.

Messugga

Honorary Master
What would you do with this speed, even if it was true..
I mean how many movies can you watch at one time..

How do you mean "even if it was true"? This is with a line being used to stream YouTube and doing some other stuff in the background. I hit 950+ when there's nothing else going on, on the network.
11048800984.png

And why? Well, it's like R200/month more than 100/100 so the cost differential is basically nothing, and I can do this:
1615109194286.png

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Holy Moly
And here I am rocking it on uncapped 10Mb
Joh, I would give my left nut for speeds like that.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
How do you mean "even if it was true"? This is with a line being used to stream YouTube and doing some other stuff in the background. I hit 950+ when there's nothing else going on, on the network.
11048800984.png

And why? Well, it's like R200/month more than 100/100 so the cost differential is basically nothing, and I can do this:
View attachment 1032196

How are you managing those speeds on Steam? Which server you connected to?

I can barely get 200Mbps on Steam with my gigabit line when using either of the local servers, when switching to the Belgium server I can about double that.

Reactions: Yuu

Genisys

Honorary Master
Meanwhile on MetroFibre you are limited to 200Mbps. Guess one day I'll get more speed. Just need to move overseas and its not a pipe dream anymore.

system32

Expert Member
Suggestion to @Bradley Prior
  • Add FNO
  • Add Ping
1615112101949.png

I'm interested to see ping times between different ISP on same FNO.

Not all ISP and FNO's are the same with some having complex back haul networks with many hops that impact latency.
Not such a problem when streaming, but affects latency sensitive apps (eg games, voip, video conference)

eg.
MetroFibre FNO network can't handle more that 200Mbps.
MFN 200Mbps option is also expensive.

Messugga

Honorary Master
How are you managing those speeds on Steam? Which server you connected to?

I can barely get 200Mbps on Steam with my gigabit line when using either of the local servers, when switching to the Belgium server I can about double that.

Not doing anything special, I'm downloading from Johannesburg server. Something to note is, it virtually max's out my Ryzen 3600 with decompressing the download. May be a be a bottleneck on your side?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Not doing anything special, I'm downloading from Johannesburg server. Something to note is, it virtually max's out my Ryzen 3600 with decompressing the download. May be a be a bottleneck on your side?
No, I think I just found an issue. I have the Cape Town server selected but it's routing to a Joburg server anyway.

Still don't know why it's slower than a download from Belgium though.

• Wow

Loppas

I was going to ask as well, seems like it may be more thread dependent then or maybe amd is just better at decompressing. The max iv gotten is about 80MB\s on my i7 9700 (non k) which has 8 cores, no hyper threading.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I was going to ask as well, seems like it may be more thread dependent then or maybe amd is just better at decompressing. The max iv gotten is about 80MB\s on my i7 9700 (non k) which has 8 cores, no hyper threading.
At those speeds my CPU usage is virtually pegged at 90% across all logical cores. I think you're right in that it likes threads.

Loppas

At those speeds my CPU usage is virtually pegged at 90% across all logical cores. I think you're right in that it likes threads.
My cpu usage gets to about 70-80%. I think there's a lot of factors to it, i am using a sata ssd as well.

deesef

Expert Member
How did Telkom manage to achieve 600mb/s on their GPON network, also with a maximum 200mb/s fibre product?

JimboBob

Expert Member
I have a 100Mbs connection and the ISP somehow messed up my bandwidth allocation and I was hitting 800Mbs.
Then they decided to double everyone's bandwidth with Covid and they must of realised mine was wrong, so they dropped it down to 200Mbs and now back to 100Mbs. Sad face

I was quite interested how they could achieve this speed with just 1 fibre.
I tried to read up online what the theoretical speed is of 1 fibre link but there's so many variations of cable and technology and I'm not sure what is used locally.

It's weird to think that fibre can reach waaaaay past the entry level speeds being offered.
But I suppose that's just business. shrug

Messugga

Honorary Master
I have a 100Mbs connection and the ISP somehow messed up my bandwidth allocation and I was hitting 800Mbs.
Then they decided to double everyone's bandwidth with Covid and they must of realised mine was wrong, so they dropped it down to 200Mbs and now back to 100Mbs. Sad face

I was quite interested how they could achieve this speed with just 1 fibre.
I tried to read up online what the theoretical speed is of 1 fibre link but there's so many variations of cable and technology and I'm not sure what is used locally.

It's weird to think that fibre can reach waaaaay past the entry level speeds being offered.
But I suppose that's just business. shrug

A fiber pair can handle an incredible amount of bandwidth. Our undersea communication cables use only a few (as in less than 20 - I can't remember the exact numbers) fiber pairs. The issue is not the medium but the hardware and bandwidth available at either end of the connection.