The highest broadband speeds for South Africa homes

Bluran

No, I think I just found an issue. I have the Cape Town server selected but it's routing to a Joburg server anyway.

Still don't know why it's slower than a download from Belgium though.
Make sure your ethernet cable is rated at least cat-6 for a gigabit connection. I started off on a 5ghz WiFi stick and it gave me around 350Mbps, upgraded to cat-6 cable and started reaching 1000Mbps on steam

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Make sure your ethernet cable is rated at least cat-6 for a gigabit connection. I started off on a 5ghz WiFi stick and it gave me around 350Mbps, upgraded to cat-6 cable and started reaching 1000Mbps on steam
Ye, no my entire network is gigabit wired.

It's a problem with either Steam or my ISP, or both.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
No, I think I just found an issue. I have the Cape Town server selected but it's routing to a Joburg server anyway.

I have the same. 24MB/sec max locally. Always been that way for me.
If I switch to EU I get max 40-45 on a good day. Not cpu limited my side.

That said, epic, gog do the full 1GB no problem.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

I think these gigabit lines are for local traffic only. From Cool Ideas on Vuma for eg...

Screenshot_20210307-141120_Chrome.jpg

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I think these gigabit lines are for local traffic only. From Cool Ideas on Vuma for eg...

View attachment 1032282
That would be contrary to what I'm experiencing though, I'm getting faster (500Mbps+) downloads from Amsterdam than from Joburg where it can't even hit 200Mbps (I'm in Cape Town).

There is no 100Mbit limit for international traffic, at least not for me (Octotel)

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

View attachment 1032282
Our commitment is for 100Mbps international download, as that is how Vumatel promoted the wholesale 1Gbps product.

We don't however throttle international to 100Mbps at all, since it's simply not worth our while to do so, and it's never become a problem. @jannier and others will vouch for Cool Ideas' 1Gbps international speeds.

j4ck455

Executive Member
It would be nice to know what fibre optic networks got those peak bandwidth measurements (not just the ISPs being used).

Presumably ISPs would use different IP subnets for each of the fibre optic networks that resell and peer with, since the timestamps and IPs used to run the speed tests are known to MyBB, MyBB could ask the ISPs to shed light on which fibre optic network was used.
An interesting result is Rain’s 785Mbps speed which was recorded in Johannesburg. This shows the exceptional capability of Rain’s 5G network.
I would be interested to know if that was what a Rain employee got, or if an ordinary subscriber that got that result.

Still it does show the potential of 5G compared to fibre optic.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Our commitment is for 100Mbps international download, as that is how Vumatel promoted the wholesale 1Gbps product.

We don't however throttle international to 100Mbps at all, since it's simply not worth our while to do so, and it's never become a problem. @jannier and others will vouch for Cool Ideas' 1Gbps international speeds.
Don't get me wrong, I've never been on a gigabit line and definitely not taking a dig at CISP. Just trying to help with what the issue could be on his end...

system32

Expert Member
Is this their official stance or speculation?
There are no MFN packages on any ISP that is is over 200Mbps.
Example: Afrihost page - max is 200Mbps a gift at R2087/pm
1615123061731.png

MFN direct max is 200Mbps
RSAWeb Max is 200MBps
CoolIdeas max is 200Mbps
MWEB max is 100Mbps

Seems MFN Network can't handle more than 200Mbps

EADC

Executive Member
There are no MFN packages on any ISP that is is over 200Mbps.
Example: Afrihost page - max is 200Mbps a gift at R2087/pm
View attachment 1032290

MFN direct max is 200Mbps
RSAWeb Max is 200MBps
CoolIdeas max is 200Mbps
MWEB max is 100Mbps

Seems MFN Network can't handle more than 200Mbps

As far as I know they can do Gbps on their network can they do it on mass for the consumer I don't know the answer to that, they are quite expensive in general maybe the pricing would not warrant it.

But this would be all speculation as I dont know their official stance on it.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
It doesn't help that you use the full gig while all your mates on wifi suck the hind tit of a donkey. Its better to have a quality strategy that caters for a mix of speeds.
As an example, when ADSL first came out all the guys on dial up started to experience worse online banking.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Don't get me wrong, I've never been on a gigabit line and definitely not taking a dig at CISP. Just trying to help with what the issue could be on his end...
No dig received, or perceived :) Just wanted to clarify ...