The highest rated South African ISPs

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The highest rated South African ISPs

MyBroadband released the July 2020 South African ISP rankings, which revealed that Cool Ideas, Cybersmart, MTN, Afrihost, and Vox are the top-rated Internet service providers in the country.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thank you to all the clients that support us. We really appreciate each and every client and will give it our best to make sure we provide all of our clients with Pure Internet Joy. :)

Johand

Expert Member
MoBIle iS jUSt as gOoD aS fiBRe. - Rain
I am recommending rain to family in the platteland with no access to fibre. But seriously -- trying to compare 4G/5G in high density urban settings is madness in the long run. Sure the demo download speeds when you have no users and your network is great... add users and download speeds drop through the floor and cell shrinkage becomes an issue.

furpile

Expert Member
Any reason the average latency is so high? Lowest is 25ms, from anywhere in SA to the closest of the 3 servers should be less than that? Speeds are high so it cannot just be some bad tests that push the average that high?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Any reason the average latency is so high? Lowest is 25ms, from anywhere in SA to the closest of the 3 servers should be less than that? Speeds are high so it cannot just be some bad tests that push the average that high?
I think there can be a number of reasons for that.

For Afrihost our ADSL, VDSL, MTN Fixed LTE and Fibre all run on our own network and own IP ranges. These results can all be bagged together giving the average latency.

Clients might also get served from CPT Mybroadband test server while they are in JHB which will result in a ~20ms latency result.

I think these averages are pretty good in general.

Johand

Expert Member
4G latency is about 40ms+ due to their design (a problem 5G fixes).

On fibre some ISPs (erm Cell C) only peers in Jhb meaning that a Cape Town speedtest to Cape Town server gets routed through Jhb.

mathenges

They are the best for mobile services, but when it comes to ISPs the smaller players are really good. Cool Ideas, Cybersmart, Afrihost and others offer excellent customer support and good service levels over fibre. Tough to beat them.
So the way to remain a good ISP is to have a small number of clients.

Veridion

I challenge anyone to get through to mweb in under an hour and actually achieve anything.
Vodacom..... Smoke signals are probably the only way to deal with their help desk.
Rain 4G is fine for surfing or watching tv., If you need to torrent a lot of stuff then you will have issues. 5G still has a few issues.

Magnum

Expert Member
I challenge anyone to get through to mweb in under an hour and actually achieve anything.
Vodacom..... Smoke signals are probably the only way to deal with their help desk.
Rain 4G is fine for surfing or watching tv., If you need to torrent a lot of stuff then you will have issues. 5G still has a few issues.
No comment on 4G Rain....

furpile

Expert Member
4G latency is about 40ms+ due to their design (a problem 5G fixes).

On fibre some ISPs (erm Cell C) only peers in Jhb meaning that a Cape Town speedtest to Cape Town server gets routed through Jhb.
Sure, but Cool Ideas is a fibre only ISP and they still have a 25ms average latency. Just seemed high, but could be because of lots of tests when there are problems skewing the results. And like you said, which server the speedtest gets run on as well. On the MyBB speedtest I see my latency is 5ms, so it should be the Durban server, if I test on speedtest.net to a Cape Town server it is 32ms. Didn't expect it to be so high.