The home affairs ID hostage taker

Jongi

Expert Member
The ANC Provincial Executive regrets the harsh sentence that has been given to a 22-year-old who was sentenced to five years for holding an department of home affairs official hostage because he was unable to obtain an ID book.

The ruling party have committed themselves to work with his (Thibedi's) family and community to seek a recourse in the judicial process.

Kabelo Thibedi held department of home affairs official Lanelle Small hostage.

The executive stated that it respected the sentence handed to him, but it was harsh as he was a first time offender. - Sapa
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=qw1163424601733S526

I also heard that they felt the sentence would potentially turn him into a hardened criminal. I do think serious community work would probably be a better sentence.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Taking somebody hostage is a rather serious offence as it could have resulted in the death of innocent people.

There are other venues he could have taken to highlight his plight i.e chain himself to the door of the Dept of Home Affairs in Pretoria for example without endangering other people.

Sadly for his family he has to pay for this stupidity.

reech

Expert Member
I think we can all empathise with this man - he may not have gone about it with full forethought but losing your livelihood because of home affairs ineptness in a country with 40% unemplyment must be very distressing.

K

kingrob

I really feel sorry for him, he was driven over the edge by the incompetent government.

He just had enough of bad service - should send him to Telkom HQ sometime.

Omac

Expert Member
Taking somebody hostage is a rather serious offence as it could have resulted in the death of innocent people.

There are other venues he could have taken to highlight his plight i.e chain himself to the door of the Dept of Home Affairs in Pretoria for example without endangering other people.

Sadly for his family he has to pay for this stupidity.
I think you're being harsh! Desperate times, desparate measures. Let him go with a warning. After all that's all Home Affairs seems to get all the time and IMO they are criminals.:D

K

kingrob

Everything that used to be your right as a citizen (like being issued with an ID book) is now a 'privilage'.

Or you must have a lot of money and buy one from the corrupt officials.

simple_simon

Expert Member
eish. shame. everyone here has been driven insane by home affairs.....its a pitty that he believed that was his only option. he appeared rather desparate

community service should of been his sentence. doubt he'll be voting for the anc again.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
I think you're being harsh! Desperate times, desparate measures.
On my way home I go to the local Steers being rather desperately hungry and thirsty having skipped breakfast and lunch and order a King Steer Burger and a large coke only to be told that their float machine is busted.

So by your reasoning I am then allowed to pull out my Glock and point it in the face of the unfortunate cashier and DEMAND that they bring me the coke or else !!!!.

If it was up to me the police SWAT team would have turned his head into a burst watermelon.

Debbie

Banned
And here I was hoping he would be available to do contract Home-Affairs hostage-taking work.

The good ones go overseas and the really good ones we put in jail.

{Not sure how sarcastic really I intend to be here!}

Chatmaster

The punishment should fit the crime, I am sorry I have to disagree with you Tibby... He did a crime and hold no threat for society infact he learned a very important lesson and would most probably behave in future. But the sentence he received almost certainly will ensure that he does become a criminal. I am very disappointed in our legal system.

Albereth

Honorary Master
Well if the way the jail time is handled he ought to be out in 10 months and should be having parties at home in 5.

Gothan

Expert Member
On my way home I go to the local Steers being rather desperately hungry and thirsty having skipped breakfast and lunch and order a King Steer Burger and a large coke only to be told that their float machine is busted.

So by your reasoning I am then allowed to pull out my Glock and point it in the face of the unfortunate cashier and DEMAND that they bring me the coke or else !!!!.

If it was up to me the police SWAT team would have turned his head into a burst watermelon.
Uhm, yes I can see how you can compare not getting something to drink, to someone who cannot get a job because home affairs have screwed him over for 2 years. Makes perfect sense doesnt it.

Hell telkom drops the adsl line and we are all up in arms! I behind this guy 100%, unfortunately he has become another victim of this government

jontyB

Expert Member

Wow. And you're destitute and incapable of finding a job without that soda. Your logic (yet again) smacks of stupidity.
Well then it's a good thing Lord Tibby is not ruler of all. :rolleyes:

OhGats

I empathise with what he did but very few people seem to consider the effect that he had on his hostage, I dont think it is a lot of fun having a gun stuck in your head and being held hostage and not knowing whether you will come out of the situation alive or not. A sure case of PTSD if ever I heard of one. However, I do feel that those incompetents who messed this mans life up are equally at fault (and who's own corruption is legendary) and they should be fired and if found guitly of corruption sent to jail too. I hope this guy gets out early (or can get home on a weekend pass or 12) or doesnt change into a criminal, who knows, he may even bump into Shabir and Tony and get a job offer.

Jongi

Expert Member
OhGats - I don't think anyone is saying what he did is not a serious matter. But incarcerating him for five years is more likely to have a negative outcome than a positive one. No one is advoating he get of with just a warning either.

Gothan

Expert Member
OhGats - I don't think anyone is saying what he did is not a serious matter. But incarcerating him for five years is more likely to have a negative outcome than a positive one. No one is advoating he get of with just a warning either.
I think they should have sentenced him to go and work for home affairs, that way, home affairs can pay for their incompetence, and he can actually see what its like working at home affairs and might think twice about taking someone else as hostage

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
I think they should have sentenced him to go and work for home affairs, that way, home affairs can pay for their incompetence, and he can actually see what its like working at home affairs and might think twice about taking someone else as hostage
Working for home affairs or going to jail either way he will become a hardcore criminal :D

Omac

Expert Member

Calm yourself. Don't be silly!!! :p