The Home Improvements Thread

eehellfire

Executive Member
As the title suggests.
I find I've been starting a new thread for each discussion - rather one thread for everything.

Things to discuss:
  • Buildings/renovations
  • Decor
  • Security

eehellfire

Executive Member
I'm looking for well priced light fittings.
I've been past Builders and Lighting Warehouse - nice stock but very expensive. Where else in Joburg should I look?

eehellfire

Executive Member
I need to put in window security. I'm looking at internally installed burglar bars - a frame bolted into the window cavity with the burglar bars welded to that. It's the most secure in my opinion.
I've also considered those fancy shutters but I'm not sure the security they provide justifies the price.

I also considered those clear view burglar bars but comments on the forum about their ineffectiveness put me off

spiff

Expert Member
looking for carpenter to build some cheap draws and cupboards in my garage - must work saturdays.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I'm looking at fixing a road facing boundary wall. It's currently a 1.8m precast but is in mediocre position. There are a few cracked posts, a few cracked blocks and the previous owner/s just replaced broken blocks in a piecemeal fashion so the wall isn't uniform.

I'm open to all options, but slightly leaning away from a brick wall due to the admin of filing plans with the municipality.
I'd like a 2.2m wall/fence and have looked at plastered pre-cast (R1250/metre) and Clearvu fencing (R1050/metre). The wall is around 30m and I don't want to drop R30k+ on it.

Any suggestions?

Beachless

Executive Member
Not sure if you have a Metro but they have pretty decent prices on lights.

I agree in the frame being bolted into the window cavity but you will need someone to weld it up for you and paint them.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
I'm looking at fixing a road facing boundary wall. It's currently a 1.8m precast but is in mediocre position. There are a few cracked posts, a few cracked blocks and the previous owner/s just replaced broken blocks in a piecemeal fashion so the wall isn't uniform.

I'm open to all options, but slightly leaning away from a brick wall due to the admin of filing plans with the municipality.
I'd like a 2.2m wall/fence and have looked at plastered pre-cast (R1250/metre) and Clearvu fencing (R1050/metre). The wall is around 30m and I don't want to drop R30k+ on it.

Any suggestions?
Why not do the 2m palisades?

Whiskers81

Expert Member
I need to put in window security. I'm looking at internally installed burglar bars - a frame bolted into the window cavity with the burglar bars welded to that. It's the most secure in my opinion.
I've also considered those fancy shutters but I'm not sure the security they provide justifies the price.

I also considered those clear view burglar bars but comments on the forum about their ineffectiveness put me off
Might sound silly, But have you considered trellidoor on the inside?

They do a custom solution for windows. You are unable to unlock and break the window to exit in an emergency situation.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Might sound silly, But have you considered trellidoor on the inside?

They do a custom solution for windows. You are unable to unlock and break the window to exit in an emergency situation.
I did, but worried about pricing. You're right about being unable to get out in an emergency. Maybe I'll consider it for the bedrooms.
Why not do the 2m palisades?
I've never considered palisades as secure. I think that a few bars can be sawn through without being easily noticed, or they can be stretched open with a good car jack?

Last edited:

Whiskers81

Expert Member
I've never considered palisades as secure. I think that a few bars can be sawn through without being easily noticed, or they can be stretched open with a good car jack?
You are quite correct that they would be able to pry the palisades open with a car jack, not even a good one at that. But let's be honest if they want to enter your property they will find away, be it via your fence our the boundary wall with your neighbor.

My issue with the walls is that you can't see past them and leaves you at a disadvantage, especially leaving and coming home. I think that the clearvu fencing is a good option.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Can we post pictures and stories of our home reno's? i wanted to do this about a year ago, but never got round to it. Been doing home reno's for the last several years, from anything but major electrical.

Joka69

Expert Member
Looking for a good, fairly priced place to get down lights, cant be very expensive because i need to get like 16-18 Down lights.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
Can we post pictures and stories of our home reno's? i wanted to do this about a year ago, but never got round to it. Been doing home reno's for the last several years, from anything but major electrical.
Why not, I might learn something. ;)

eehellfire

Executive Member
100%.
It would be awesome to see everyone's ideas

eehellfire

Executive Member
You are quite correct that they would be able to pry the palisades open with a car jack, not even a good one at that. But let's be honest if they want to enter your property they will find away, be it via your fence our the boundary wall with your neighbor.

My issue with the walls is that you can't see past them and leaves you at a disadvantage, especially leaving and coming home. I think that the clearvu fencing is a good option.
I would grow a hedgerow or trees behind the palisade / clearvu anyway :D
The layout of the house won't allow for any privacy as the house is set quite far back on the property so the pool, braai area and entire garden are road facing.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Makes sense though. Maybe do the precast pastered wall but then invest in a decent CCTV set?
Haha - I'm investing in decent CCTV set regardless.
Also electric fencing, a decent alarm system and a very secure sleeping area.
That's why I don't want to pay so much for a front wall - it's only one layer in a very costly security infrastucture.