The Home Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy

Expert Member
Light Fittings - Visit the Eurolux showroom,(also an online catalogue.) really good display. Buy from Metro.

Windows: Trellis type are your best bet. Locking units for an escape path.

Walls: go for block or brick. Plans for walls are a simple admin task with a sketch, and add value more than precast walls.

spiff

Expert Member
Do you have a drawing of what you need done or what you have in mind?
sort of - in my head. I already have work benches and need to fill in with draws under them. simple 2x2 frame work with runners and the draw face.

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
I need to put in window security. I'm looking at internally installed burglar bars - a frame bolted into the window cavity with the burglar bars welded to that. It's the most secure in my opinion.
I've also considered those fancy shutters but I'm not sure the security they provide justifies the price.

I also considered those clear view burglar bars but comments on the forum about their ineffectiveness put me off
Can personally recommend a product called strong wood. The steel bars encased inside a traditional cottage pane. The bars have at piece on the end so they can't just be pulled through.

At the end of the day burglars will get through anything,it's about delaying them.
Buy online.
http://www.doorsdirect.co.za/t/Strongwood

Pm me if you want more info.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
sort of - in my head. I already have work benches and need to fill in with draws under them. simple 2x2 frame work with runners and the draw face.
Consider finding a timbercity or builders warehouse. They do kitchen cupboards/cabinets that they cut of a plan and you just put it together yourself.

Are you in Cape Town?

spiff

Expert Member
Consider finding a timbercity or builders warehouse. They do kitchen cupboards/cabinets that they cut of a plan and you just put it together yourself.

Are you in Cape Town?
yes. as long as they are willing to come and measure up I can install myself.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
yes. as long as they are willing to come and measure up I can install myself.
Not sure if they do the measurements. You might have to do that yourself. Myabe give them a call and find out if they can do it?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I need to put in window security. I'm looking at internally installed burglar bars - a frame bolted into the window cavity with the burglar bars welded to that. It's the most secure in my opinion.
I've also considered those fancy shutters but I'm not sure the security they provide justifies the price.

I also considered those clear view burglar bars but comments on the forum about their ineffectiveness put me off
I put in trelli securitybars on all my bedroom windows and I got the guys to set up the bars so that the trelli from both side and that the two sections lock into one another and that the locking mechanism is in the middle of the main big window. So even if one of the small windows are left open (which my wife likes to do) they cannot get to the locking mechanism.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I put in trelli securitybars on all my bedroom windows and I got the guys to set up the bars so that the trelli from both side and that the two sections lock into one another and that the locking mechanism is in the middle of the main big window. So even if one of the small windows are left open (which my wife likes to do) they cannot get to the locking mechanism.
How long ago?
How much?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
How long ago?
How much?
I did it about 4 years ago.

And I cannot remember how much I paid for it as I got other windows burglar proofed and security gates put up etc.

I will check it up when I get home and which company I got it done by

c3n0byt3

Can we not just create a new sub-forum? Reno and DIY in general is really big in SA.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
That is somethign I hadn't actually considered.

I'm going to be putting maxidor products on all doors and windows in my house as I do my renovations, so will get the windows treated the same way you have.

furpile

Expert Member
I'm looking at fixing a road facing boundary wall. It's currently a 1.8m precast but is in mediocre position. There are a few cracked posts, a few cracked blocks and the previous owner/s just replaced broken blocks in a piecemeal fashion so the wall isn't uniform.

I'm open to all options, but slightly leaning away from a brick wall due to the admin of filing plans with the municipality.
I'd like a 2.2m wall/fence and have looked at plastered pre-cast (R1250/metre) and Clearvu fencing (R1050/metre). The wall is around 30m and I don't want to drop R30k+ on it.

Any suggestions?
If there is an existing boundary wall it should be on the plan already, regardless if it's brick, precast or palisade. Just get a copy of the plans and check. However, the precast wall will probably still be cheaper than a brick wall.

If you want an idea of how much it will cost, have a look here. I haven't used them but I have looked at the prices to compare with other options. Their prices range from R400 to R770 per meter fully installed, then you can plaster if you want.

Joka69

Expert Member
Where can I get Rhynoart Gyproc cornices? Where are they sold direct to the public?

maumau

Honorary Master
Prefab doesn't do it for me. It looks horrible and if it's not done properly goes all funny in a few years.

Have you considered wooden fencing? It's treated and maintenance free for 25 years (supposedly).

Wood absorbs sound too.

http://www.randburgfencing.co.za/Home/GetWooden

P.s. for lights check out Light Spot near Builders in the Clearwater area.

Last edited:

Joka69

Expert Member
Builders stocks a range of products from the company that manufacture these cornices. Can they not assist you?
Haven't tried them yet, tried cashbuild and dash, and they both don't stock it. I'll have a look at builders later.

Status
Not open for further replies.