The Home Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maumau

Honorary Master
Trellidor have a mesh style security product called clear guard. It looks something like fly screen but is muuuuuuuch stronger.

Expensive though, approximately R2 500 to R4 000 per sq metre.

I would definitely consider it for a bedroom with a door leading to the garden and you may even be able to sleep with the door open which i would never consider doing with any other form of security.

eehellfire

Executive Member
What are alternatives to open, long fluorescent kitchen lights?
Those light up the kitchen nicely but are butt ugly

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What are alternatives to open, long fluorescent kitchen lights?
Those light up the kitchen nicely but are butt ugly
Downlighters of some form :)

I also have that butt ugly double fluorescent in my kitchen and it irritates me, but I'm not about to go changing it since I should hopefully be building a whole new kitchen in about 6 months or so.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Downlighters of some form :)

I also have that butt ugly double fluorescent in my kitchen and it irritates me, but I'm not about to go changing it since I should hopefully be building a whole new kitchen in about 6 months or so.
Won't down lighters give too limited a field of light?

Joka69

Expert Member
Won't down lighters give too limited a field of light?
Enough Down Lighters with the white LED globes in them will give you a whole lot of light. Im in the process of changing all my lights for Down lighters. Just finished the bathrooms and its looking good. Moving on to the bedrooms now, then the kitchen, then living areas.

Joka69

Expert Member
Whats the best method to re-color wardrobe doors?

My wardrobe doors right now is a Red/Brown color, it seems to have just been varnished or something, but i would like to re-color it and make it near dark brown to almost black to mach the rest of the furniture in my room.

Whats the best method for this?

Whiskers81

Expert Member
Whats the best method to re-color wardrobe doors?

My wardrobe doors right now is a Red/Brown color, it seems to have just been varnished or something, but i would like to re-color it and make it near dark brown to almost black to mach the rest of the furniture in my room.

Whats the best method for this?
I am currently busy with a similar project.

What I did was to take all of the doors down, removed the hinges, knobs and locks. I then sanded all off the doors. I painted it with a wooden paint that I bought from builders, I can't remember what it is called. Will look tonight and let you know. I then replaced all the hinges, knobs and locks and then fitted the doors again.

Joka69

Expert Member
I am currently busy with a similar project.

What I did was to take all of the doors down, removed the hinges, knobs and locks. I then sanded all off the doors. I painted it with a wooden paint that I bought from builders, I can't remember what it is called. Will look tonight and let you know. I then replaced all the hinges, knobs and locks and then fitted the doors again.
Thanks, i was also planning on starting with the sanding tonight, I've taken the doors, handles and hinges off already. Would like to put everything back by this weekend, so will need to do everything during the week. After i sand it off, do i then paint i the color i need (will need to take a picture of the current furniture to get that exact color to match), will i still need to varnish after i paint or does that all depend on the paint i apply?

Depends entirely on the material..

Are they melamine wardrobes?
Yes they are.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If they're melamine you may need to try and find a melamine primer rather than sanding the doors down (more than just the layer of paint), if you end up going through the melamine you will need to replace the door...

Whiskers81

Expert Member
^^ Your before looks better than your after :confused:
Thanks Shaun.

I removed the Electric stove/oven as I bought and installed a DEFY gas stove. I still need to finish the beading on the front of the counter top tonight. I will post pictures of the new oven space once I am done.

Re83L

Expert Member
I also considered those clear view burglar bars but comments on the forum about their ineffectiveness put me off
You also get clear bars that houses a tripwire that can be connected to your alarm, therefore the moment someone starts fiddling with them the alarm goes off.
But I agree with a welded frame installed inside your window.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
Not sure if you achieved anything here ... I assume the stove is now in the dustbin that you installed? :twisted:
I got a little more counter space. That is about the sum of what I have acheived. The entire kitchen has to be remodelled next year. We bought and moved into the house about 2 years ago.

Joka69

Expert Member
I basically need to change the color of this Door,
Current door.jpg

To match the color of my chest of drawers.
2014-06-17 09.16.04.jpg

Acid0

Expert Member
I have to get three french doors(bi folded) installed of 3m W X 2.5m H Aluminium.

The best price I got so far was 16k per door totaling to 48k for the three doors.

Does anybody have contacts for cheaper or is this going to be the price I will be looking at?

Joka69

Expert Member
I have to get three french doors(bi folded) installed of 3m W X 2.5m H Aluminium.

The best price I got so far was 16k per door totaling to 48k for the three doors.

Does anybody have contacts for cheaper or is this going to be the price I will be looking at?
Where did you get this price from? That sounds a bit steep to me, if its what im thinking, its supposed to be the stacked aluminium doors that go on a rail and fold into each other, we were planning on installing those doors in our living room leading outside, and iirc we were quoted R16k for all 4 doors, 2m(w) X 2.5 m(h) excluding installation which was somewhere between R5-8k.

Something like this:

sliding-folding-doors-main-pic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.