The Home Improvements Thread

joker08

Got new security tralley door installed, problem is the aluminium door handles was coming in the way now. Removed the handle but need some good alternative options for the handle.
Any suggestions ??

howardb

Expert Member
We have some tiles that the previous owners had a carpet glued to. The glue long since dried and the carpet was loose (and gross) so we chucked it. The tiles though now have fur from the carpet and some-kind of super strong glue, I can scrape it off over a weekend but that would damage the tiles and my sanity.
Is there some kind of solvent I could use that wouldn't hurt the tiles or their grouting, but at least soften the glue?
Have you tried a heat gun on low, don't burn it but apply some low heat to soften the glue, then peel it off slowly from the tile.

I saw something in Builders by TFC called Glue Remover, but not sure if that can be used on tiles. Maybe email them or check the specs on the tin. Was about R200 for a 1l and R700 for a 5l, but look around other places.

qscwbt

Expert Member
We have some tiles that the previous owners had a carpet glued to. The glue long since dried and the carpet was loose (and gross) so we chucked it. The tiles though now have fur from the carpet and some-kind of super strong glue, I can scrape it off over a weekend but that would damage the tiles and my sanity.
Is there some kind of solvent I could use that wouldn't hurt the tiles or their grouting, but at least soften the glue?

Use grout off (tile acid) and the easy clean neutralizer grout_off_0.jpg twch001_2.jpg

Venomous

Honorary Master
Rubber gloved, steel wool and sugar soap.

When we were kids we were forced to clean those vinyl type tiles with steewool and sugarsoap just after we moved in. The previous people had used lots of floor polish that had made all the tiles appear a yellow shade of the colour....

abudabi

Expert Member
Common wall between 2 bedrooms has a plugpoint on the 1 side. It was an exterior wall so it's dbl brick. I can just punch through and install a plugpoint on the other side and tap off the same wiring.. correct?

howardb

Expert Member
Common wall between 2 bedrooms has a plugpoint on the 1 side. It was an exterior wall so it's dbl brick. I can just punch through and install a plugpoint on the other side and tap off the same wiring.. correct?
Should be fine. I have done two similar sockets at home. I sunk the new socket boxes flush, chisel out a space for the 4x4 box.

paul5186

Expert Member
Redoing our sunroom. Room was an afterthought by the previous owners, roof was leaking, the one wall was made of wood and the doors are all rotten. Was obviously an add on as the idiot put a roof on over the weep holes to the second story so rain was seeping into that room.

Anyway, new walls, roof, stacking doors, windows, tiles and electrical points are being installed. Started yesterday tearing it down including the indoor braai yay! One month to go.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I'm redoing my garden irrigation - I have 8 solenoids that need connecting (16 little wires) - does anyone have advice to do it neatly? I've never seen it done neatly.

Also - of the 16, 8 of the wires go to one point - not sure if that's going to cause issues with current distribution.

rodga

Executive Member
I'm redoing my garden irrigation - I have 8 solenoids that need connecting (16 little wires) - does anyone have advice to do it neatly? I've never seen it done neatly.

Also - of the 16, 8 of the wires go to one point - not sure if that's going to cause issues with current distribution.
network cable? Im using cat5 for my install and the distance is about 50m - I have 2 solenoids, but you should be able to do 4, so will need to run 2 cables - (you could possibly do 7 on one line if you share the common wire between the solenoids)

abudabi

Expert Member
I have an electricty box in my boundary wall. Smart meter on the outside... ancient trip switch on the inside. The inside one started tripping. I'm guessing that if it goes faulty it's my responsibility to replace?