The Home Improvements Thread

Tinuva

The Magician
An alternative would be to move/raise the JoJo a fair bit higher than where you want it to sprinkle. The higher you go the more pressure is created by gravity.
I want to see him move a tank up higher that is full of water :ROFL:

That said, you are not wrong. However. right now his easiest option might just be a booster pump, but that do have a bunch of other issues, like electricity point ect.

kory

An alternative would be to move/raise the JoJo a fair bit higher than where you want it to sprinkle. The higher you go the more pressure is created by gravity.
Thanks, they already installed and it’s full currently can’t afford to empty it, my plants need this. Any help how to lift it up some more. Maybe I should add pictures.

kory

I want to see him move a tank up higher that is full of water :ROFL:

That said, you are not wrong. However. right now his easiest option might just be a booster pump, but that do have a bunch of other issues, like electricity point ect.
Well luckily I do have a double outdoor electric point nearby, approximately 2 meters from the jojo. My main gripe is the cost of the pump. The garden started as a little home garden project and has already cost quite a bit to setup. Making raised beds, buying compost etc. add in a water pump and might as well buy my organic veg from Woolies.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Well luckily I do have a double outdoor electric point nearby, approximately 2 meters from the jojo. My main gripe is the cost of the pump. The garden started as a little home garden project and has already cost quite a bit to setup. Making raised beds, buying compost etc. add in a water pump and might as well buy my organic veg from Woolies.
While the initial costs are a bit eina the costs will drop going forward, so over 6-12months these extra costs will start paying off.
You won't buy a pump every 2nd month. You won't keep raising beds weekly etc etc....

Going forward after that will be more your time and effort rather than high cost. Seeds, water and a little fertilizer(at times) will be your costs.

Also look at companion planting and which plants/herbs drive pests away.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Setting up a garden is never cheap unfortunately...

I'm still in the process of doing 4 different 100sqm gardens at home, and each one makes me cry when I look at the costs :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
Setting up a garden is never cheap unfortunately...

I'm still in the process of doing 4 different 100sqm gardens at home, and each one makes me cry when I look at the costs :(
Yup and not to mention sometimes the plants die :-( I'm trying to do the same while doing minor fixes at home as well.

jdido87

Hi All

I am looking for some advice. I want to connect my well.point to a irrigation system for my lawn. I have a 8 bar jet pump which is too much pressure for the irrigation system. Are there pressure reducing valves available that wont damage the pump in the long run. The store i bought the pump from wants me to use a ball valve which I was advised against by the guy who did my well point installation.

RVZ

I also need some advice on irrigation. I have a pump getting water from a Jojo tank, and then going to Hunters PGP Ultra sprinklers. I'm only getting about 2 bar from the pump, which seems to be way too low for these sprinklers. On the normal nozzles it covers a big area, but only the outer area where the stream lands are basically getting any water. The middle stays almost completely dry. On the low angle nozzles, the full area is getting water, but the area it covers are then about half from what I get from the others.

Can anyone recommend a good pump to buy for irrigation? From what I've read, you're not only supposed to look at pressure, but also flow rate?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
How old are your sprinklers? I was having the same problem - replaced my irrigation - still wasn't getting much joy - replaced the sprinklers, now its spraying perfectly. (tried cleaning them, and replacing the nozzles, just couldn't get decent coverage)

qscwbt

Expert Member
Hi All

I am looking for some advice. I want to connect my well.point to a irrigation system for my lawn. I have a 8 bar jet pump which is too much pressure for the irrigation system. Are there pressure reducing valves available that wont damage the pump in the long run. The store i bought the pump from wants me to use a ball valve which I was advised against by the guy who did my well point installation.
The more sprinklers you run the better.

I have a window of about 200cm H x 65cm W that I need to close up. I was thinking standard blinds, however it's an odd size for premade blinds.

Any other ideas?
You have 2 options available if you want to go the way of blinds :
  1. You can order made to measure blinds online that way you can customise the blinds to suit your needs. Try BlindCraft, their blinds are SABS approved and come with a 2-year warranty.
  2. You could also try find a ready-made blind that fits your width and then either shorten or length the height by adding or removing slats. Adjusting the height to make blinds shorter is relatively easy, "frankensteining" two together to make it longer might be more challenging.
Hope that helps.

D4N_CPT

I have a window of about 200cm H x 65cm W that I need to close up. I was thinking standard blinds, however it's an odd size for premade blinds.

Any other ideas?
Go to Game, buy a slightly bigger blind and pay the additional fee to have it cut to size by them. It takes about three days (depending on how busy they are), but the whole process is pretty painless, and usually much cheaper then custom made blinds.