The Home Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yes, that's the trouble. Not keen on interfering with the roof.

Brackets/extensions where TB? Do you mean maybe putting in tall posts at the edge of house overhang and lifting it that way, i.e. so the structure is against the house gutter? What sort of slope is good 3 or 4 degrees?

Would this work?
View attachment 646608

It's against the house wall under the overhanging fascia. Thinking of doing this on poles against the fascia but higher.
No, I would be suggesting that the entire roof structure of the carport be taken down... the poles on the outside shortened by the required distance to get a slope away from the building so you get rid of the water from the building structure, then restore the roof with the new slope with a bracketing structure against the wall to accomodate the new slope. You should not have to play with you buildings roof in any way shape or form....

At worst what you could do is bracket the carport roof to the roof trusses that overhang form the wall, but that should only be approached if you cant reseat the carport roof against the wall with the new slope away from the house.

Also in terms of the drain pipe thing, maybe look at getting a jojo tank or some water storage unit so that you don't have to have an ugly downpipe going back to the house.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
No, I would be suggesting that the entire roof structure of the carport be taken down... the poles on the outside shortened by the required distance to get a slope away from the building so you get rid of the water from the building structure, then restore the roof with the new slope with a bracketing structure against the wall to accomodate the new slope. You should not have to play with you buildings roof in any way shape or form....

At worst what you could do is bracket the carport roof to the roof trusses that overhang form the wall, but that should only be approached if you cant reseat the carport roof against the wall with the new slope away from the house.

Also in terms of the drain pipe thing, maybe look at getting a jojo tank or some water storage unit so that you don't have to have an ugly downpipe going back to the house.
Wont it be easier to remove the brackets at the wall? Remove one or two at a time, bolt the brackets a bit higher and then move onto the next 2 that's against the wall?

I cant see how it is fixed to the wall or if it is on poles but if its just brackets you can just put them higher not so.

It also does not need a huge slope, just enough for the water to run down.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Wont it be easier to remove the brackets at the wall? Remove one or two at a time, bolt the brackets a bit higher and then move onto the next 2 that's against the wall?

I cant see how it is fixed to the wall or if it is on poles but if its just brackets you can just put them higher not so.

The problem is doing that will twist the structure already attached to the poles... also a 5m wide roof, would need absolute minimum 2 degree slope which would require a 200mm lift at the wall... so there might not be space for it.

Would be more effective to take the roof off, shorten the poles a bit and raise against the wall to try even out the differences.

maumau

Honorary Master

The entire width is attached to the house wall with the gutter running along the wall below the house overhang. It can't go higher.

@ToxicBunny says a 2 degree slope is enough.

The problem is doing that will twist the structure already attached to the poles... also a 5m wide roof, would need absolute minimum 2 degree slope which would require a 200mm lift at the wall... so there might not be space for it.

Would be more effective to take the roof off, shorten the poles a bit and raise against the wall to try even out the differences.
My dream solution :love:. Doesn't even matter if the roof leaks when we replace the Chromadek because I imagine the holes (attaching to cross beams) will be in different places. DO NOT CARE!

2 Degrees is doable. Don't care about a gutter, don't care about a downpipe. As long as it slopes away from the building I'm happy.

If it slopes down at a 2 degree angle from the house and finishes at a height of 2m at the driveway :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: will that be legal?

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
@maumau I think we may be talking at cross purposes about the concept of roof sometimes :)

Everytime I'm mentioning it, I'm referring to the carport roof, not your house roof. Anything I'm going to suggest you investigation involves not touching your house at all so as to keep costs at a minimum.

You also want to slope the carport structure away from the house, your goal should always be to evacuate the water AWAY from the structure by any means necessary.

You shouldn't need to replace the Chomadek though, they can patch it up if the mounting holes are different (and even that shouldn't be the case really if they do the job properly), and the patches will last more than long enough and also be easy to reapply if you need in the future.

If as you say that it can't go higher than you have if currently against the house wall, then your only option is to shorten the poles its attached to on the other side, and there is less than no way that should cost R16k... period.

maumau

Honorary Master
@maumau I think we may be talking at cross purposes about the concept of roof sometimes :)

Everytime I'm mentioning it, I'm referring to the carport roof, not your house roof. Anything I'm going to suggest you investigation involves not touching your house at all so as to keep costs at a minimum.

You also want to slope the carport structure away from the house, your goal should always be to evacuate the water AWAY from the structure by any means necessary.

You shouldn't need to replace the Chomadek though, they can patch it up if the mounting holes are different (and even that shouldn't be the case really if they do the job properly), and the patches will last more than long enough and also be easy to reapply if you need in the future.

If as you say that it can't go higher than you have if currently against the house wall, then your only option is to shorten the poles its attached to on the other side, and there is less than no way that should cost R16k... period.
I did get what you suggested and you meant take the roof off the carport - I like what you're saying - tks again TB. Realised not to interfere with the house roof so I'll measure from where it's connected to the house wall this evening and see where the 2 degree slope takes me height wise. Holding thumbs :)

alqassam

Expert Member
Can I mount this light fitting on this box? Basically want to put a sonoff in the box 20190416_161942.jpeg

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I did get what you suggested and you meant take the roof off the carport - I like what you're saying - tks again TB. Realised not to interfere with the house roof so I'll measure from where it's connected to the house wall this evening and see where the 2 degree slope takes me height wise. Holding thumbs :)
a 2 degree slope would require a 200mm drop from one side to the other over a 5m distance... (actually a bit less, but keep things simple :) )

alqassam

Expert Member
You definitely can, would just look wierd.... could you not mount the sonoff inside the light fitting itself? (if you take it out of the sonoff casing that is)
I could but I think the stell box around it is affecting the WiFi signal. Let me try and see first

maumau

Honorary Master
a 2 degree slope would require a 200mm drop from one side to the other over a 5m distance... (actually a bit less, but keep things simple :) )
Whooohoooo! saves me hours of scratching my head working it out.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master

Ok yes I see now. I also suggested lowering the support beams but removing the roof would be a task and a half but doable and should not be costly.

maumau

Honorary Master
400 posts to go before we reach the limit of 10000. Who's going to start Home Improvements 2?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
so i have a defy gas stove and electric oven, normally i would just take stuff apart and fix it but maybe you guys can save me some of my usual frustration... so the ignition system is borked, only really one of the ignitors are firing (though they are all interconnected so firing one fires all) and it is kind of intermittent, sometimes it is this one, sometimes that one etc. any ideas? when i say ignitors, i am really talking about the switches i would guess

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Any idea on how to fix this? Duco'd cupboards.

Magically appeared in the past couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.