The Home Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Any idea on how to fix this? Duco'd cupboards.

Magically appeared in the past couple of days.
to fix it properly means new boards probably, but imo as a short term fix that will do the job is some more duco.

also, whatever is causing the water run off should probably be checked out

WAslayer

Expert Member

Your best bet is trying to get some wood glue in the cracks and clamping it well but, don't expect to get it sorted to be honest..

Mars

Honorary Master
I'm having a weird problem. The LED bulbs in both my bathrooms and separate toilet keep dying.

The only things I can think of is that its the moisture or the fact that they are connected in series to the extractor fan. At first I thought it was a kak brand, but I have tried various brands and they are dying in a matter of months.

Anyone have any ideas?

calypso

Expert Member

I had a similar thing happen to a duco desk made for me by ODE. Cracks were smaller. In the end they had to replace the whole desk as it was an issue with the board.

howardb

Expert Member
I'm having a weird problem. The LED bulbs in both my bathrooms and separate toilet keep dying.

The only things I can think of is that its the moisture or the fact that they are connected in series to the extractor fan. At first I thought it was a kak brand, but I have tried various brands and they are dying in a matter of months.

Anyone have any ideas?
I would use a meter to check the fittings with the fan on and also disconnected. We moved our extractor fan off the light switch to a separate switch and have the same LED's for over 5 years now.

Does the extractor send into the roof cavity or totally outside?

Mars

Honorary Master
I would use a meter to check the fittings with the fan on and also disconnected. We moved our extractor fan off the light switch to a separate switch and have the same LED's for over 5 years now.

Does the extractor send into the roof cavity or totally outside?
Into the roof. I'm planning on installing some ducting sometime but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Maybe I'll just put relays in so the fan still comes on with the same switch and see if that helps.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Kliptite is the newer improved version of kliplok. (maybe you missed my earlier reply?)
I think the others you mentioned are copies of kliplok, not sure never heard of them before.
Oh my... this is an on and off topic for the last 2 weeks at Global Roofing and its messing with my mind.
The lady at reception and many friends say that any roof lasts at least 15 years and, is it really worth it to pay so much more on a roof when the only selling point is that it clips in, instead of the sheets being nailed down?

A 5.2m by 4m Kliplok costs R4200 for the ~5.3mm profile.

I don't mind paying that, but is it really worth it in comparison to the other types of sheets?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Drag over from the underfloor heating thread...

Proper insulation would be minimum 100mm IsoTherm in the ceilings with a decent insulating underlay below the tiles.

That in and of itself will make a significant difference to the house. The next thing is double glazing will act two fold as insulation as well as sound deadening.

rodga

Executive Member
Oh my... this is an on and off topic for the last 2 weeks at Global Roofing and its messing with my mind.
The lady at reception and many friends say that any roof lasts at least 15 years and, is it really worth it to pay so much more on a roof when the only selling point is that it clips in, instead of the sheets being nailed down?

A 5.2m by 4m Kliplok costs R4200 for the ~5.3mm profile.

I don't mind paying that, but is it really worth it in comparison to the other types of sheets?
The biggest advantage of a clip system is no piercing/perforation of the sheet for any fixings. Less chance of leaks and corrosion around the fixing points.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
The biggest advantage of a clip system is no piercing/perforation of the sheet for any fixings. Less chance of leaks and corrosion around the fixing points.
And that is the only selling point.
I guess that if done properly, a cheaper, pierced product will do the exact same job as many other houses that are not leaking.

howardb

Expert Member
Hi all, our Defy 600 oven bake element (bottom one) blew a few days ago with a wonderful sparkler display! So I ordered a replacement from Defy, ensuring it was the correct model number, etc; when I removed the old one yesterday and tried to fit the new element, I see they have seemingly changed the connector type, from push-on terminals to screw-on terminals! Our model has push-on terminals...
The new element cannot take push-on type at all as the ends are also in a sort of "L" shape facing down, and are wider than the current push-on terminals.

Any ideas to get this new screw-on terminal type element fitted; I've re-checked Defy's website and this seems to be the only replacement element type they have for our oven model. The only thing I can think of is cutting off the old push-on terminals from the wires and crimping on suitable ring terminals, then finding some more-than-likely arbitrary sized fixing screws to fix the ring terminal to the element terminal -- the only issue with this is that the element wires only protrude about 3-4 cm's from the inside back panel, so it's almost impossible to cut/crimp on new ones without removing the entire oven unit and opening up the back panel to either run new slightly longer wires, or hope that the newly crimped ring terminals allow enough wire play on the existing wires.

Bloody frustrating - what should be a 2-minute job is turning into mission, just because they decided to change the connector type...

Any other ideas welcome :)

Defy 600 Element 1.jpg
Defy 600 Element 2.jpg

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Hi all, our Defy 600 oven bake element (bottom one) blew a few days ago with a wonderful sparkler display! So I ordered a replacement from Defy, ensuring it was the correct model number, etc; when I removed the old one yesterday and tried to fit the new element, I see they have seemingly changed the connector type, from push-on terminals to screw-on terminals! Our model has push-on terminals...
The new element cannot take push-on type at all as the ends are also in a sort of "L" shape facing down, and are wider than the current push-on terminals.

Any ideas to get this new screw-on terminal type element fitted; I've re-checked Defy's website and this seems to be the only replacement element type they have for our oven model. The only thing I can think of is cutting off the old push-on terminals from the wires and crimping on suitable ring terminals, then finding some more-than-likely arbitrary sized fixing screws to fix the ring terminal to the element terminal -- the only issue with this is that the element wires only protrude about 3-4 cm's from the inside back panel, so it's almost impossible to cut/crimp on new ones without removing the entire oven unit and opening up the back panel to either run new slightly longer wires, or hope that the newly crimped ring terminals allow enough wire play on the existing wires.

Bloody frustrating - what should be a 2-minute job is turning into mission, just because they decided to change the connector type...

View attachment 648062
View attachment 648064
imo that isnt the right replacement then, can you send it back and order from somewhere else? eg macspares or bergens

Pho3nix

The Legend

View attachment 648062
View attachment 648064
Where are you based? In Randburg there is a place where they sell all types of spares. Cheaper than Defy as well

Status
Not open for further replies.