The Home Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Did everything myself. The brickwork, plaster and screed of the doorway, and then the screed on the ceiling. I now have a neck the size of The Rock!
I also did that screeding of the ceiling, or at least where I removed those hideous bloody coverstrips.... my neck was sore for a good few days afterwards....

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
I would like to do most renovations myself but time never permits!

I have two guys who are builders by trade and I get them to do most work. I have saved a fortune by not using the large contractors. For example, a large roofing company quoted me R10 300.00 excluding VAT to repair some ceilings. My builders charged me R950 labour to do the same job, and the job is perfect! Materials were maybe a grand on top of that.
Thing is many contractors are entrepeneurs who employ these blue collar builders with all the know-how in the world. The boss drops them off at your place with his flashy double cab, heads off to Mug and Bean or whereever he chills, and then later in the afternoon picks up the guys again. Pay them a minimal daily wage, and charge you a fortune for the work done.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Did you put the laminate over the parque flooring?
I did. first the underlay and then the laminate. Just for reference purposes, i hate parquet flooring, and so does my missus. The whole bottom floor of the house is oregon flooring, which is beaut, but parquet is just not my style.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
I also did that screeding of the ceiling, or at least where I removed those hideous bloody coverstrips.... my neck was sore for a good few days afterwards....
Let alone the painting thereafter. I am planning to do the whole upstairs with smooth ceiling. NOT looking forward to it. No pun intended.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
I did. first the underlay and then the laminate. Just for reference purposes, i hate parquet flooring, and so does my missus. The whole bottom floor of the house is oregon flooring, which is beaut, but parquet is just not my style.
If you ever decide to take out the parquet flooring. Please drop me a PM. I need some more, My whole house is parquet and I nee top redo all the floors.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You HEATHEN! :p

I would kill to have any type of solid wood flooring in my house.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Let alone the painting thereafter. I am planning to do the whole upstairs with smooth ceiling. NOT looking forward to it. No pun intended.
My only real issue with the painting is the cutting in of the cornices and such.. the general painting is simple and in some ways therapeutic.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
My only real issue with the painting is the cutting in of the cornices and such.. the general painting is simple and in some ways therapeutic.
I have the same problem. I normally end up putting more paint on the cornices and door frames than I do on the wall.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Has anyone chose a shower column over a normal rose?
TVSH9914-CH_1.jpg
If so, are you happy with it?
It seems like such a cool idea, but I'm hesitant because I've never seen one in action

Acid0

Expert Member
Where did you get this price from? That sounds a bit steep to me, if its what im thinking, its supposed to be the stacked aluminium doors that go on a rail and fold into each other, we were planning on installing those doors in our living room leading outside, and iirc we were quoted R16k for all 4 doors, 2m(w) X 2.5 m(h) excluding installation which was somewhere between R5-8k.

Something like this:

View attachment 151450
Yip that is exactly those doors.
I was quoted from a glass company close to home and another was from a Aluminium Shop in Alberton.
Both had similar prices.

eehellfire

Executive Member
Also have a taps question - I was advised by a plumber friend to get Grohe taps for their quality. I see that Grohe has a "Start" and a "Get" range which are significantly cheaper than their other ranges. What are they sacrificing in quality to make these cheaper?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I have to get three french doors(bi folded) installed of 3m W X 2.5m H Aluminium.

The best price I got so far was 16k per door totaling to 48k for the three doors.

Does anybody have contacts for cheaper or is this going to be the price I will be looking at?
I was quoted from a glass company close to home and another was from a Aluminium Shop in Alberton.
Both had similar prices.

a 3mW x 2.5m H folding stacking door, should set you back about R30k.. as per Origin Groups Pricelist (can probably get it a bit cheaper if you negotiate with one of their stockists)

http://www.origingroup.co.za/docs/Origin_Price_List.pdf

Started with the kids/guest bathroom and toilet - were separate rooms.

bath3.jpg

Doors removed and wall knocked out:

bath4.jpg

Rebuilt as per my wife's design... (shower is on the far left of photo)

bath1.jpg

Joka69

Expert Member
Both had similar prices.
a 3mW x 2.5m H folding stacking door, should set you back about R30k.. as per Origin Groups Pricelist (can probably get it a bit cheaper if you negotiate with one of their stockists)

http://www.origingroup.co.za/docs/Origin_Price_List.pdf
As he said, rather have a look around, that quote you received seems a bit steep hey. Active Glass also are very reasonable with prices.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Status
Not open for further replies.