The HPCSA blatantly refusing to let self -funded South African Doctors which studied abroad Sit for Board exams

Nikx012

So over the past few years there have been a huge number of people studying medicine abroad at universities in the UK,Romania, Russia, China etc. These are self funded students which unfortunately are are the victims of the quota system which refuses applicants studying medicine here because they are the wrong color even though I have passed matric with an A Aggregate . I respect the issue of redressing issues of the past ,but the painful part is, After my parents spent an exorbitant amount of money to get me an education at a world class institute in Shanghai, in which I was awarded scholarships annually from the Chinese Government and which is recognized by the World Health organization and the ECFMG- which means with my degree I' m eligible to apply for a board license in the USA UK Canada etc , the Council which regulates doctors here (HPCSA) are refusing to let us write the board exams to register for the internship and then practice in our own country. I cant understand the logic of spending tax payers money to ship off students to an unheard of university in Cuba to get pregnant and demand monthly stipends when there are a few hundred if not more self funded students which have cost the state nothing to get their degrees.
Its quite unconstitutional that we are refused to write an exam that proves our competency. It must be clear that the HPCSA is encouraging a brain drain, besides, as a fresh medical graduate, its extremely difficult in securing an internship in a foreign country as most countries would rightfully take their citizens first. The Hundreds of Doctors leaving to Canada and the UK that you all hear off is mostly those with at least a few years post graduation experience.
Anyway I'm writing the UK board exams at the moment so I don't forget my skills, although I know it wont guarantee me a job in the UK.We have formed a group of about 100 Doctors and a Litigation process has been started with the Legal Resources center fortunately taking our case Pro Bono as they believe this is a violation of basic rights . We are praying they will rule in our favor as this will set the course for hundreds of Saffas still currently in the middle of their studies which are yet to graduate.

Ironic isn't it, when there is a chronic shortage of doctors.
This had made me wake up to the reality of the unfairness of the country we live in.
Get out while you can, for the future of your children.

Last edited:

Emjay

Honorary Master
Thanks for the post, and welcome to MyBB.

Please keep us up to date on the litigation process. Maybe start some sort of crowdfunding, as this is a critical issue that needs to be driven to conclusion. I am sure many SAffers would be willing to contribute to help fight this.

Nikx012

Yeah sure , to make it clear, Just last year , South Africans which studied abroad were allowed to sit for the exams and many have passed and are now serving the public sector, how ever just recently they have abruptly made a change in some policy without gazetting in a public domain, surely they should allow for some sort of a concession period?

Cius

Executive Member
My cousin studied at Wits. Was top med student for 5th year. He wanted to go into radiology but the 4 available slots were reserved for people of colour. Anyways, there were not enough candidates so he got on but on the proviso as soon as they found a suitable candidate he was out. Fortunately that never happened and he finished. He then applied to work not in the private sector but at Barragwanath as he really cared about helping people. He interviewed, got a position, only to have some political appointee see his appointment a day or two later and revoke it as he was the wrong colour.

That was the last straw for him and he applied for work down under and they were only too happy to have him. Fast track visa and he was there in like 2 months. Healthcare qualification in this country is broken. Also my brother studied biomedical eng so he did a bunch of first and second year med subjects with medical students and what he saw scared him. The amount of cheating that was tolerated amoung the med students was staggering. He said most of them did not seem to get the basic concepts.

Jola

Honorary Master
This country has become extremely racist, even more so than during Apartheid days.

Nikx012

Just an update. After much pressure coming from opposition parties in Parliament the Hpcsa have started taking in our applications from directive of the Dept of health and we should be writing board exams this year!. Subsequent doctors due to graduate may have to do a final year integration program . The policy can be found on the Dept of health site.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Just an update. After much pressure coming from opposition parties in Parliament the Hpcsa have started taking in our applications from directive of the Dept of health and we should be writing board exams this year!. Subsequent doctors due to graduate may have to do a final year integration program . The policy can be found on the Dept of health site.

If they can change their minds that quickly it's not because it's policy - it's because the HPCSA are a bunch of power hungry cnuts!

Well done though! However I question why you'd want to return to country that clearly doesn't want you?

Emjay

Honorary Master

An additional year on top of everything else? This seems like punishment for students studying abroad and coming back home.