The Huawei P30 (non-Pro) Review

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So it's just been just under 24 hours since I got my grubby little paws on Huawei's newest line of phones. The P30 of course is the middle child flanked between the more wallet friendly P30 Lite & the top dog P30 Pro

My unit is finished in the absolutely striking Aurora hue. Inspired by the Aurora Borealis aka the Northern Lights. It is truly something to behold the way the light reflects off the back. I've got the 8GB/128GB model on hand.

I thought it's a good time for a quick first impression.

First some specs (courtesy of GSMArena):

Spec 1.JPG

Compared with the P30 Pro:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9530&idPhone2=9635

Their full review can be found here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/hauwei_p30-review-1919.php

We can see that the non-Pro model has pretty much the same hardware as the Pro model. The differences are as follows:

Price: R11 499 vs R15 999
Waterproofing: IP53 vs IP68
Display: 6.1-inch, OLED, 2340 x 1080, 19.5:9 vs 6.47-inch, OLED, 2340 x 1080, 19.5:9
Size: 149.1 x 71.36 x 7.57mm, 165g vs 158 x 73.4 x 8.41mm, 192g
Cameras: Triple rear camera, 3x optical zoom vs Quad rear camera, 5x optical zoom
Battery: 3650mAh vs 4200mAh battery
Wireless Charging: Only on the Pro model & the incl reverse wireless charging as well.
Wired charging: Capped at 22.5W vs 40W on the Pro model

The P30 does have a headphone jack though! Which I use!

Some unboxing pictures, note the included soft case & screen protector:

P30 1.jpg

P30 2.jpg

P30 4.jpg

Specs (ignore the slightly skew phone, it's very slippery without a case):

P30 5.jpg

Compared alongside my budget Y3 (2018):

P30 6.jpg

To notch, or not to notch: that is the question:

P30 8.jpg

P30 9.jpg

I'll share just 2 impromptu pictures taken, zero filters or enhancements applied:

P30 11.jpg

P30 12.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
First impressions in point form:

- So far I've seen zero slowdown or any frame rate drops. The Kirin 980 chipset coupled with 8GB of RAM make it a beast.
- I've got the March security update. I'm hoping these will be regular.
- The screen is excellent, colour saturation, viewing angles, the works. It is a joy to use. Same screen is used in the Pro just a notch bigger.
- The in-display fingerprint sensor is currently the best out there, it's incredibly quick & reliable.
- Even though the P30 does not get the full 40W fast charging as the Pro model it still hits the 65% mark from dead after 30mins.
- I need more time to gauge the camera performance but so far plenty detail with good colours. Low light performance is better than expected.
- Audio quality was pretty good as well. I tested Spotify & Showmax.
- Notch, does not bother me at all. Does not detract from consuming media.
- The EMUI overlay is easy to use. Out the box the swipe gestures are not running, enable them! They work great. In my view it's very much iPhone X(S) style but it works well.
- The size is excellent, it is pocketable & well built.

TL;DR: After 24 hours with the phone I think for the price it is a properly good piece of kit! It ticks many of the boxes & has excellent performance, a great screen & currently the best camera combination out there. Nicely done Huawei/Wah-Way!

abdul89

Ah okay.

Trying to figure out which of the networks sell the dual SIM version. Seems like Vodacom and MTN selling single SIM version.

Huawei online store is like R2000 more than buying from the networks so that's not an option.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ah okay.

Trying to figure out which of the networks sell the dual SIM version. Seems like Vodacom and MTN selling single SIM version.

Huawei online store is like R2000 more than buying from the networks so that's not an option.
Cell C, FNB, Telkom all do dual sim.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I'm coming from iOS on iPhone & unfortunately that means no official split screen functionality (as yet).

Really enjoying the ability to eg. have my favourite YT videos playing while I do browsing:

IMG_2164.JPG

Nithan15

Expert Member
I'm coming from iOS on iPhone & unfortunately that means no official split screen functionality (as yet).

Really enjoying the ability to eg. have my favourite YT videos playing while I do browsing:

View attachment 646902
quirks and features..........................in a Doug Demo

View attachment 646902
Quirks and Features...................in a Doug Demuro voice

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The difference 1 (one) year makes.

P20 (Vanilla) vs P30 (Vanilla):

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9107&idPhone2=9530

image001.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

Some major improvements. Key ones being:

- 6.1" OLED screen vs 5.8" LCD screen in the same footprint due to the smaller bezels & slightly higher aspect ratio. P30 display does HDR10 content as well.
- Kirin 980 vs Kirin 970 chipset.
- 8 GB RAM vs 4 GB RAM.
- Both examples have 128 GB internal memory. P20 has no Card slot, P30 has the NM (Nano Memory) Card slot.
- Dimensions & weight are comparable.
- Smaller notch on the P30.
- Both have Leica optics with the P20 having a dual camera setup of 12 MP + 20MP B/W sensors. P30 has a triple camera setup with 40 MP + 16 MP ultrawide + 8 MP telephoto that does 3x optical zoom.
- 32 MP selfie camera vs a 24 MP one.
- No headphone jack on the P20, P30 has it.
- BT 5.0 vs 4.2.
- In-display fingerprint scanner vs a front-mounted one.
- 3650 mAh battery vs 3400 mAh battery.
- Both have the same Fast charging rated at 22.5W.

I'm impressed that the P20 is running a recent security patch. Good on Huawei for not dropping the ball there.

I expect to the see the P40 (Vanilla) take a big leap forward, over the P30, in the next ~12 months.