The huge satellite dishes and control room which run DStv – Photos

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
The huge satellite dishes and control room which run DStv – Photos

Broadcasting DStv to multiple countries and millions of viewers across Africa requires a lot of manpower and hardware, and MultiChoice’s headquarters in Johannesburg provide both skilled teams and impressive satellite equipment.

MyBroadband toured the company’s headquarters recently, which are based in MultiChoice City in Randburg, and were allowed to take photos of what goes on behind the scenes.

genetic

Honorary Master
Cool to see. Be interesting to get info on what their transmission capacity is, how many Mbps or Gbps they are streaming to Intelsat 20 etc, how they synchronise their feeds etc.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
This is actually a tech article for once. This is a tech site. I for one am interested on how DTSV (or any other broadcaster's) back-end system works. I want more technical specs...
It's the exception that proves the norm

marine1

Honorary Master
Must be pretty awesome to see
I was recently at 10111 control room, what a joke

neoprema

Expert Member
Wow, all that infrastructure, cabling and bandwidth to transmit repeats and 5-yr old programs as new.

Bad1

All infrastructure is set up, why is there a need to increase the subscription every year? Maybe we South africans are paying for all the infrastructure for all African countries, multichoice is ripping people off, there are studios rented in small towns to broadcast local content, wasting millions on wages and rent, how many people watch kzn channel? Millions of rand to empower the people, free handouts while we work hard for our money and to pay almost R1000 a month for dstv premium

Crowley

Executive Member
we work hard for our money and to pay almost R1000 a month for dstv premium
Maybe they increase their subs to pay for the guns that they're holding while forcing you to pay every month.

OT/

I love the article. More tech articles like this please.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You moan about 5 year old shows as new and repeats. Yet the actual MC channels have the newer stuff and only have minimal repeats. It's the same as any pay TV service, Sky was the same when I was in the UK in fact a large portion of its channels were literally the same channel time delayed.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Maybe they increase their subs to pay for the guns that they're holding while forcing you to pay every month.

OT/

I love the article. More tech articles like this please.
Yeah I mean they are forcing people to pay.