The Hyundai i20 Thread

grim

Expert Member
I'd love to hear your reasons?

My brother bough the new Accent when it just came out, the engine needed to be replaced after 6 000km after a massive fight with Hyundai that at one point involved the motor industry ombudsman, the car has had constant rattles that needed fixing, nearly every time the car has been in for a service they manage to cross thread one of the wheel bolts, at different dealerships.

His wife bought a new Atos which she uses just to work and back and going to the shops which is about 10km total daily, the car is now just over 5 years old with just over 20 000km on the clock and the big end bearings need replacement.

Maybe they've just had bad luck but neither of them will go near a Hyundai again.

I've owned cars with 300 000+ km on the clock that gave less issues.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I'm not advocating for Hyundai, that is overpriced, no doubt about it.

...but are you agreeing, that your statement I quoted originally is untrue, or do you need me to post more Korean vs European examples?

I couldn't find the 1.2 TSI, I'm guessing it is the model VW advertises as 66kW?

Yes. It still manages to do a 10.8s 0-100, but manages a 4.9l/100km combined (claimed). The i20 does 11.6s and 6.1l/100km (claimed).

I wouldn't buy either of those cars. The VW warranty becomes expensive really quickly.

Neither would I... It's one example, to prove a point. How does a warranty become expensive, BTW?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Here is the problem, and it is an age old VW problem. Optional extras.

While the Trendline (entry level) costs the same as the Fluid (middle level) you have to pay extra for Multifunction Steering Wheel, USB connectivity and of course there is no service plan. The factory fitted speakers in a Polo is woeful, every other car in the segment has a better setup. Lets not forget the small things, like the wiper that won't return to the normal position if you switch off the car while they are in use. All of this adds up to the point where you can see VW does not give a flying F about cars, they just want to sell.

If Korean cars are not your thing then its needless to say you can get a better German car for less by a company that actually cares about making cars. They live for cars.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Here is the problem, and it is an age old VW problem. Optional extras.

While the Trendline (entry level) costs the same as the Fluid (middle level) you have to pay extra for Multifunction Steering Wheel, USB connectivity and of course there is no service plan. The factory fitted speakers in a Polo is woeful, every other car in the segment has a better setup. Lets not forget the small things, like the wiper that won't return to the normal position if you switch off the car while they are in use. All of this adds up to the point where you can see VW does not give a flying F about cars, they just want to sell.

If Korean cars are not your thing then its needless to say you can get a better German car for less by a company that actually cares about making cars. They live for cars.

This is a whole different argument... and you are also wrong about a few things, like the service plan. My comparison was simply about Gnomes statement, about old engines and chassis in the European cars that compete in price with the Koreans. This is simply not true anymore.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Up until the refreshed Polo was released they made do with Euro-2 emission level engines while the rest had Euro-5 level engines. This is why a 1.4 NA Corsa was as powerful as the 1.6 NA Polo. So there is some truth in what Gnome is saying.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Up until the refreshed Polo was released they made do with Euro-2 emission level engines while the rest had Euro-5 level engines. This is why a 1.4 NA Corsa was as powerful as the 1.6 NA Polo. So there is some truth in what Gnome is saying.

What IS true? Maybe there was some truth to the statement, but right now there is none...

Sm00thSm0k3

Expert Member
My brother bough the new Accent when it just came out, the engine needed to be replaced after 6 000km after a massive fight with Hyundai that at one point involved the motor industry ombudsman, the car has had constant rattles that needed fixing, nearly every time the car has been in for a service they manage to cross thread one of the wheel bolts, at different dealerships.

His wife bought a new Atos which she uses just to work and back and going to the shops which is about 10km total daily, the car is now just over 5 years old with just over 20 000km on the clock and the big end bearings need replacement.

Maybe they've just had bad luck but neither of them will go near a Hyundai again.

I've owned cars with 300 000+ km on the clock that gave less issues.

I've heard similar horror stories from Toyota/Ford/VW/Audi owners so basically it just comes down to the luck of the draw.

My parents have been driving Hyundai's since 1997, my sister owns a Getz, my wife has a 1.6 i20 and I used to drive a Sonata up until fairly recently...no problems whatsoever.

Because they want you to buy the more expensive Accent Hatch if you want a hatchback with a 1.6. Seriously, that is why.

+1

The 1.6 i20 was affecting sales of the 1.6 i30's and Accents hence why the 1.6 i20 was discontinued.
The upside of this however is that the 1.6 i20's have held their value extremely well.

Last edited:

axon1988

Also interesting to note that the new car is bigger than the old one (increased wheel span, increased legroom and larger boot) and yet the engines are the same. No turbo petrols either.

Considering this, they already increased the size when they got rid of the Getz...

Peder

Hobbit
Wow i like!!

I must admit the i10 Grand was a TOTAL let down, i expected something more from it, will see when they release the i20 what it will look like, here's to hoping we don't get a i20 grand (which is not so grand)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Wow i like!!

I must admit the i10 Grand was a TOTAL let down, i expected something more from it, will see when they release the i20 what it will look like, here's to hoping we don't get a i20 grand (which is not so grand)
What about the i10 Grand didn't you like? I think for the price point it is great value for money:

R140K gets you the following:

64kW :p, driver and passenger airbags, height adjustable seatbelts, impact sensing door unlock, tinted windows so you look zef, aircon, Radio CD with USB and RDS (RDS was lacking on previous models, quite ridiculous although a bit of Googling will yield a solution), Bluetooth, an OBC, ABS and EBD, a height adjustable drivers seat with alloy wheels and full size spare.

Not arguing with what you said, in fact a lot of people have said that they expected more, but for the price point I personally think Hyundai might have a winner on their hands :)

Peder

Hobbit
What about the i10 Grand didn't you like? I think for the price point it is great value for money:

R140K gets you the following:

64kW :p, driver and passenger airbags, height adjustable seatbelts, impact sensing door unlock, tinted windows so you look zef, aircon, Radio CD with USB and RDS (RDS was lacking on previous models, quite ridiculous although a bit of Googling will yield a solution), Bluetooth, an OBC, ABS and EBD, a height adjustable drivers seat with alloy wheels and full size spare.

Not arguing with what you said, in fact a lot of people have said that they expected more, but for the price point I personally think Hyundai might have a winner on their hands :)

Just the look put me off, i felt it wasn't as "finished-off" as my own i10.

The only things my i10 doesn't have is: impact sensing door unlock, tinted windows, RDS, Bluetooth(which i must admit i prefer that way) ABS and EBD.

The i10 Grand doesn't come with alloy wheels standard afaik, also not rear electric windows, i also quite like the look of the indicator in the side mirror, all that you have to get in the upper specced i10 Grand.

But then again i am nitpicking, and my next car won't be an i10, it will most likely be something slightly bigger.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That interior looks better than any interior in the entire VAG product line (Bugatti and Lamborghini included)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
It makes sense, and from a price point of view would you say it is an improvement upon the i10 and worth the money or should buyers put in the extra 20K and push for an i20?

I like the fact that Hyundai have so many features added as standard, things that usually are optional features you have to purchase with other brands. I looked on the website, they say that the i10 Grand has alloys fitted as standard, and you are right, the rear windows are hand-wound unfortunately, except in the higher spec.

What will your next car be after the i10?