The I Love Cats Thread

abcab

I'm trying to find these eye drops that relieves the pressure in the eyes. I understand that all the nerves for all the senses run close by, and still be affected. So I need to make sure her hearing and smell and taste is preserved. VET does not answer his phone to chase this medication for her.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I'm trying to find these eye drops that relieves the pressure in the eyes. I understand that all the nerves for all the senses run close by, and still be affected. So I need to make sure her hearing and smell and taste is preserved. VET does not answer his phone to chase this medication for her.
Phone another vet explain the urgency.

Also maybe look at one of those vet hospitals, though that can cost a fair bit.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Eish

One of our boys has started spraying in the house... but oddly, it doesn't smell at all, but looks a bit bloody :/

To the vet ....

KT-B

Honorary Master
Be there as soon as they open. It seems he/she is not familiar with glaucoma in pets. Here is a link but it is very technical. http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/your-treatment-options-glaucoma-small-animals-0. Perhaps you can find something in here that may help.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Eish

One of our boys has started spraying in the house... but oddly, it doesn't smell at all, but looks a bit bloody :/

To the vet ....
Oooh hope it isn't the kidneys. Good luck

abcab

Be there as soon as they open. It seems he/she is not familiar with glaucoma in pets. Here is a link but it is very technical. http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/your-treatment-options-glaucoma-small-animals-0. Perhaps you can find something in here that may help.
My sister is an Optomotrist and cat lover, so she had some good info for me when I spoke to her last night. I just got hold of the VET, he needs to check for me. But I am about to call a Chemist ir two and find out if you need a prescriptions for this stuff.

abcab

Oooh hope it isn't the kidneys. Good luck
Something I found out yesterday with my cat, is that you don't bring Paracetamol anywhere close to them. Causes liver problems fast. So check medication carefully.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
He's in for the day until he pees so they can take a urine sample. Vet says it could just be stress - both times it's happened have been shortly after we went away.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Our fat boy is not very interested in food since yesterday afternoon. His food was changed about 3 months ago, so can't be that right now.

He's nearly 10 years old. I do not know his mother/father's health history.
We lost our other cat to FIV about 5 years ago. At the time the vet said she was probably born with it.
Thinking back on her symptoms and behaviour.... This could very well be what is wrong with fat boy.
When we got him she was already snipped and we took him to get snipped at about 5/6 month, meaning they never mated.

I am hesitant to take him to the vet as I am reluctant to hear that he has FIV :(

Did get him to eat a very little bit just now. Will keep a close eye on him today, if zero improvement then I'll take him in the morning.

Last edited:

KT-B

Honorary Master
Our fat boy is not very interested in food since yesterday afternoon. His food was changed about 3 months ago, so can't be that right now.

We lost our other cat to FIV about 5 years ago. At the time the vet said she was probably born with it.
Thinking back on her symptoms and behaviour.... This could very well be what is wrong with fat boy.
When we got him she was already snipped and we took him to get snipped at about 5/6 month, meaning they never mated.

I am hesitant to take him to the vet as I am reluctant to hear that he has FIV :(

Did get him to eat a very little bit just now. Will keep a close eye on him today, if zero improvement then I'll take him in the morning.
Isn't there treatment for FIV ? I really just hope he ate something that disagreed with him and will be his normal self by morning.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Isn't there treatment for FIV ? I really just hope he ate something that disagreed with him and will be his normal self by morning.
FIV treatment slows things down. It extends their life, but it can't really improve their quality of life. So no if it's that I will ask that the needle is used.

Girly cat suffered for months before they tested.
I'd rather the suffering not be prolonged if it's that. (When the cat lies in your arms as they shave her leg for that final needle and she does not resist, instead she looks at you as if to say it's ok. Then you know the suffering and pain was too much for her)
I'll keep hand feeding him and then see how it goes by morning. If he perks up then it was a harmless bug and if he's the same or worse then vet it will be.

I will ask that they draw bloods for FIV just incase. Rather safe than sorry.

KT-B

Honorary Master
FIV treatment slows things down. It extends their life, but it can't really improve their quality of life. So no if it's that I will ask that the needle is used.

Girly cat suffered for months before they tested.
I'd rather the suffering not be prolonged if it's that. (When the cat lies in your arms as they shave her leg for that final needle and she does not resist, instead she looks at you as if to say it's ok. Then you know the suffering and pain was too much for her)
I'll keep hand feeding him and then see how it goes by morning. If he perks up then it was a harmless bug and if he's the same or worse then vet it will be.

I will ask that they draw bloods for FIV just incase. Rather safe than sorry.
I am sorry if you have to go through this again. But you are right. I am not in favour of prolonging life if they are suffering either. It is incredibly hard to do - but for them it is best. Good luck. Really hoping it is a short, unimportant thing.

Venomous

Honorary Master
If it is that then there won't be any cats here after this*, or at least not in the forseeable future.

Too many people (family/friends/clients) that come around here have cat allergies.

*Maaaaybe oneday if I have the time and the money then I might consider getting a sphynx in a few years time.

The one gent is family and visits at least once a month. Even if I lock the cat away, clean the house before he arrives, the gent still ends up looking like a red blowfish. And the cat NEVER goes on the couches as he cannot jump up....

biometrics

Honorary Master

Can also be a hairball. One of ours now has to get laxipet once or twice a week. Cost me nearly R2,000 to find out why he stopped eating last time.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Can also be a hairball. One of ours now has to get laxipet once or twice a week. Cost me nearly R2,000 to find out why he stopped eating last time.
Not likely.
As he's fat cleaning himself is a problem. So he gets brushed twice a day to get rid of hair.
And he gets wiped down as he can't lick everywhere