The I Love Cats Thread

Mila

Honorary Master
Had a long chat with my optomotrist sister now. Sent her a few pics and video. She can see the retina of both eyes are torn. Judging by the bleeding in the back of the eyes, this cat suffered a massive head and possible back/spine trauma. This resulted in swelling, and the nerves have already died as the back of the eye is already white. Would be yellow if the nerves had any life in them. Heartbreaking is that she tells me the cat would have been in intense pain while the nerves were under pressure (and dying). To relieve pressure, the body also disables the pupils, opening the eyes up totally, this can also cause irreversible damage in bright light.

Also tells me that there could still be pressure, and although the cat no longer has pain, this could affect her other senses like smell and hearing. So I need to get some eye drops to relieve pressure.

Now to see if the cat can adjust, and still fit in with the two other cats and two dogs. It was already so frustrating watching her this afternoon playing with the other cats. She can only hear them, and gets steamrolled constantly by them. She tries to chase them, but ends up running in totally the wrong direction. Animals and humans can adjust horizontally, but vertically is a big problem. I see she stills climbs up things, but she can't get back down because she has no way to know where the ground is going to be when she jumps. She does take a bit of a chance off the one couch though, but going outside is a problem where she needs to jump off the window sill to a box and then to the ground. I will have to assess her over the next while and see how she "survives" with the other animals. If I feel she is suffering under them, I may have a very hard descision to make. I hope it doesn't get to that.
She will adjust. Cats are amazing.
And If she does suffer find her a home. There are people out there just adopting blind cats

But we have had 4 blind kittens this year alone. ITs amazing how they adjust.

Mila

Honorary Master
Simple things like making her an indoor cat which is a good idea for her skin anyway. She will develop cancer,

Mila

Honorary Master
And because life wasn’t full enough we took in a hydro kitten today.
Brain sonar tomorrow morning at 7:30252AA7A2-7D94-4823-83A8-AF944B6DEC10.jpeg

Mila

Honorary Master
Oh shame, the poor little thing
Seems like they live quite normal lives if the condition is treated.

Oh update on the old cat that I wanted to help.
His owner came back from holiday. We just agreed with the vet to start testing him for what is wrong.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I am at a loss to understand how people can leave their pets alone while they go on holiday. A friend of mine does it and it makes me mad every time I find out. She is 5 blocks away from me and I have offered to look after her cat many times, and have done when she went overseas. But they figure - give them a big bowl of food and water and they will be fine.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Our fat boy is not very interested in food since yesterday afternoon. His food was changed about 3 months ago, so can't be that right now.

He's nearly 10 years old. I do not know his mother/father's health history.
We lost our other cat to FIV about 5 years ago. At the time the vet said she was probably born with it.
Thinking back on her symptoms and behaviour.... This could very well be what is wrong with fat boy.
When we got him she was already snipped and we took him to get snipped at about 5/6 month, meaning they never mated.

I am hesitant to take him to the vet as I am reluctant to hear that he has FIV :(

Did get him to eat a very little bit just now. Will keep a close eye on him today, if zero improvement then I'll take him in the morning.
By late last night our dog was showing symptoms of not being himself. Today he was still out of sorts and the cat was just getting worse.

Turns out it's kennel cough.
Fat boy cat had complications that affected his kidneys, liver and other vital organs.
They could hospitalise him and slow things down, but it was not going to end well.
Ultimately his body was slowly shutting down. RIP fat boy cat. We'll miss you always.Screenshot_20190711-160421.png

KT-B

Honorary Master
By late last night our dog was showing symptoms of not being himself. Today he was still out of sorts and the cat was just getting worse.

Turns out it's kennel cough.
Fat boy cat had complications that affected his kidneys, liver and other vital organs.
They could hospitalise him and slow things down, but it was not going to end well.
Ultimately his body was slowly shutting down. RIP fat boy cat. We'll miss you always.View attachment 682539
Oh I am so very very sorry. He looks like a lovely big guy. I am sorry for your loss :crying:

abcab

Update on my blind kitty.... she is adjusting well. Spends a lot of time walking around listening and taking her surroundings in. Today she had a good day playing with the other two cats, and actually participating. Running around in the open spaces of the yard.

I got all the cats a neck band with a bell on. I specifically took 3 that made totally different sounds in the hope that it will help her identify who is about to take her down. I also cut a hole in the patio door for her to get in and out and not need to use the window anymore. Took us 2 hours and she was fine with the hole and using it as if it was always there.

I can't get the meds I need to relieve the pressure in the eye. The supplier does not have, and our chemist has even called a bunch of chemists in Joburg. Nobody keeps stock as it has a very short shelf life.

So all seems to be ok, and the owners are adjusting

biometrics

Honorary Master
Update on my blind kitty.... she is adjusting well. Spends a lot of time walking around listening and taking her surroundings in. Today she had a good day playing with the other two cats, and actually participating. Running around in the open spaces of the yard.

I got all the cats a neck band with a bell on. I specifically took 3 that made totally different sounds in the hope that it will help her identify who is about to take her down. I also cut a hole in the patio door for her to get in and out and not need to use the window anymore. Took us 2 hours and she was fine with the hole and using it as if it was always there.

I can't get the meds I need to relieve the pressure in the eye. The supplier does not have, and our chemist has even called a bunch of chemists in Joburg. Nobody keeps stock as it has a very short shelf life.

Btw imo cats use scent and hearing much more than sight. Just based on my observation over the decades.

KT-B

Honorary Master

What is the name of the meds you need?

I am so glad she is managing so well. I am happy for you - you deserve a break

abcab

What is the name of the meds you need?

I am so glad she is managing so well. I am happy for you - you deserve a break
Timolol 0.25% , its eye drops that relieve the pressure in/behind the eye.

We just want to give it to her in case there is still some swelling, and that could cause problems with the nerve system that also transmits smell, hearing and taste.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Timolol 0.25% , its eye drops that relieve the pressure in/behind the eye.

We just want to give it to her in case there is still some swelling, and that could cause problems with the nerve system that also transmits smell, hearing and taste.
Let me see if my vet has it. Will let you know

EMAM

Honorary Master
Our little kittles just loves water..... I can't even bath in peace, I'm often rescuing her out of the bath.
Now, with this constant rain, she sits for hours on the window sill just watching it come down.

(she's only landed in the pool once)
And today kittles vanished
She's gone into thin air.
We have an electric fence and she's chipped but no sign of her
And we're moving next week.
My heart is broken and the weather is crappy
Please come home kittles

KT-B

Honorary Master
And today kittles vanished
She's gone into thin air.
We have an electric fence and she's chipped but no sign of her
And we're moving next week.
My heart is broken and the weather is crappy
Please come home kittles
Oh no I am so sorry. Hopefully a kind neighbour took her in and she will escape and come home soon