The I Love Cats Thread

argh

A vet's receptionist once said to me: Dogs have owners, cats have servants. Anyone who has had a pet cat, or visited a place where there was one, will likely relate to "Simon's Cat" animations, available on Showmax, and also on Youtube. Links to 3 of them:
Crazy time
Trash cat
Armchair fan

flava

Dear fellow cat lovers

Any suggestions on how to help an adopted cat settle in? It's been three weeks and she still meows almost all night, giving me very little sleep. Her former owner recently passed away so I decided to keep her as a friend for my 11 month old (also female) cat. She'll eat but hide for the rest of the day in the kitchen cupboard or where no one will see her.
The younger cat is also not getting used to having her around. She'll hiss and growl whenever she sees the adopted one. Is it too soon to expect them to be friends already and how can I help them to get along?

Thank you dearly.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Dear fellow cat lovers

Any suggestions on how to help an adopted cat settle in? It's been three weeks and she still meows almost all night, giving me very little sleep. Her former owner recently passed away so I decided to keep her as a friend for my 11 month old (also female) cat. She'll eat but hide for the rest of the day in the kitchen cupboard or where no one will see her.
The younger cat is also not getting used to having her around. She'll hiss and growl whenever she sees the adopted one. Is it too soon to expect them to be friends already and how can I help them to get along?

Thank you dearly.
Give it more time, three weeks isn't long for cats to adjust.

Try sharing their scents, rub each one and in turn the other and repeat.

flava

Give it more time, three weeks isn't long for cats to adjust.

Try sharing their scents, rub each one and in turn the other and repeat.
Thanks very much for your response. Sharing their scents is something I would have never thought of and it actually makes perfect sense :)

biometrics

Honorary Master
Thanks very much for your response. Sharing their scents is something I would have never thought of and it actually makes perfect sense :)
My last introduction was quite informative (5 years ago). I petted the newbie locked in a bedroom and then went outside to check up on the older cat. Everything was fine until I held up my finger for a sniff, he snarled and hissed at it.

So yeah, scent is of utmost importance with cats. Sharing it will help the adoption.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
You can inter-change toys / pillows / bedding between them to help with the scent swap thing.

Best of luck.

KT-B

Honorary Master
He is right - this vid is interesting

flava

You can inter-change toys / pillows / bedding between them to help with the scent swap thing.

Best of luck.
This would have worked if they had any of the above :X3:. It's not animal abuse, both simply don't care about a dedicated sleeping area or toys :)

flava

He is right - this vid is interesting

Thank you all, I'll certainly focus on the sharing their scents.
Tbh, I can live with them not being used to each other for now. It's the constant meowing all night that is seriously affecting my sleep, I'm even considering moving her to an outside room during bed time :(

KT-B

Honorary Master
Thank you all, I'll certainly focus on the sharing their scents.
Tbh, I can live with them not being used to each other for now. It's the constant meowing all night that is seriously affecting my sleep, I'm even considering moving her to an outside room during bed time :(
How old is the cat? Is it perhaps in heat ? Mine did that when she was.

flava

How old is the cat? Is it perhaps in heat ? Mine did that when she was.
She's about 5 years old but was sterilised before she turned one, so it can't be that. I think she's seriously stressed... used to sleep in bed with previous owner every night. I'm just not sure how to help her :crying:

KT-B

Honorary Master
She's about 5 years old but was sterilised before she turned one, so it can't be that. I think she's seriously stressed... used to sleep in bed with previous owner every night. I'm just not sure how to help her :crying:
Is she in your room? If not, perhaps allow her to sleep with a human. She may be scared and lonely at night. Or try the hot water bottle and leaving a radio on softly. If she was younger I would recommend the ticking clock. Some cats find it soothing.

flava

Is she in your room? If not, perhaps allow her to sleep with a human. She may be scared and lonely at night. Or try the hot water bottle and leaving a radio on softly. If she was younger I would recommend the ticking clock. Some cats find it soothing.
Much appreciated, I'll give all the above a try as well. She does not like the bedroom, perhaps it's the scent of the other cat. Whenever I carry her to the bedroom, she'll simply run and sit in the dark kitchen cupboard first chance she gets. I'll also prepare a place to sleep for her... just assumed she'll fit right in like the other one and sleep anywhere in the house. Thanks again!

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Sounds like your adopted cat’s grieving the close bond she had with her life companion who has suddenly ‘disappeared’ … along with everything familiar to her.

We adopted a very traumatised feral kitten a few years ago. it took at least a month before she felt safe enough to be coaxed out from under the bed!
We slid her food and water under the bed with a blanket, and gradually moved everything into the open over a few weeks. (She lived happily for 18 years.)

As others here have said; things will improve dramatically with time, kindness, and patience. It’s a great sign that she’s eating properly.Hope she settles in soon & you can get some decent sleep . Best of luck.

Losing family can be traumatizing to cats.
Cats have a reputation for being cool, aloof and independent creatures. That doesn't mean they don't get emotionally attached to their caretakers and owners.

When a cat experiences the loss of a human companion, she often reacts with anxiety and even depression. Change is hard for felines.

A cat in mourning may become increasingly vocal much to your dismay during the early morning hours. Grieving felines tend to loudly and persistently meow and yowl, especially when it's pitch dark outside.