The I Love Cats Thread

KT-B

Honorary Master
Sounds like your adopted cat’s grieving the close bond she had with her life companion who has suddenly ‘disappeared’ … along with everything familiar to her.

We adopted a very traumatised feral kitten a few years ago. it took at least a month before she felt safe enough to be coaxed out from under the bed!
We slid her food and water under the bed with a blanket, and gradually moved everything into the open over a few weeks. (She lived happily for 18 years.)

As others here have said; things will improve dramatically with time, kindness, and patience. It’s a great sign that she’s eating properly.Hope she settles in soon & you can get some decent sleep . Best of luck.

Losing family can be traumatizing to cats.
Cats have a reputation for being cool, aloof and independent creatures. That doesn't mean they don't get emotionally attached to their caretakers and owners.

When a cat experiences the loss of a human companion, she often reacts with anxiety and even depression. Change is hard for felines.

A cat in mourning may become increasingly vocal much to your dismay during the early morning hours. Grieving felines tend to loudly and persistently meow and yowl, especially when it's pitch dark outside.
We adopted a young cat that had been roughly treated by the previous owner's kids (my friend) and she was shy too. For the first two weeks she lived in my son't cupboard. We kept the door closed and had cat sand and food available for her. Then when she started sleeping on his bed, we started to leave the door open at night or while we were home. Didn't take long before she was fine with the other cats but still took almost 2 years before she got close to everyone in the family. She now sleeps in my bed and calls me to come and stroke her when she is in a loving mood. Will still disappear when visitors come though.

flava

Sounds like your adopted cat’s grieving the close bond she had with her life companion who has suddenly ‘disappeared’ … along with everything familiar to her.

We adopted a very traumatised feral kitten a few years ago. it took at least a month before she felt safe enough to be coaxed out from under the bed!
We slid her food and water under the bed with a blanket, and gradually moved everything into the open over a few weeks. (She lived happily for 18 years.)

As others here have said; things will improve dramatically with time, kindness, and patience. It’s a great sign that she’s eating properly.Hope she settles in soon & you can get some decent sleep . Best of luck.

Losing family can be traumatizing to cats.
Cats have a reputation for being cool, aloof and independent creatures. That doesn't mean they don't get emotionally attached to their caretakers and owners.

When a cat experiences the loss of a human companion, she often reacts with anxiety and even depression. Change is hard for felines.

A cat in mourning may become increasingly vocal much to your dismay during the early morning hours. Grieving felines tend to loudly and persistently meow and yowl, especially when it's pitch dark outside.
Thank you Daisy for that link! The article just confirmed it, it's very clear she misses home and her former owner :( . Guess I'll have to work a bit harder on my patience and bond with her more. At this point I just let her be and only talk or pet her whenever she decides to emerge from her hiding place.

I really appreciate all the advice.

flava

We adopted a young cat that had been roughly treated by the previous owner's kids (my friend) and she was shy too. For the first two weeks she lived in my son't cupboard. We kept the door closed and had cat sand and food available for her. Then when she started sleeping on his bed, we started to leave the door open at night or while we were home. Didn't take long before she was fine with the other cats but still took almost 2 years before she got close to everyone in the family. She now sleeps in my bed and calls me to come and stroke her when she is in a loving mood. Will still disappear when visitors come though.
I can't wait to get to this stage. Must be very rewarding to see her all happy and comfortable in her new home :love: