The IEC are idiots

Solitude

Expert Member
The two previous times we voted it took hours with queues so long that you couldn't see the end of it. The previous times it was so slow because there was only one scanner. The whole process was ridiculously slow.

And now this year?

The same thing! Only one scanner. How have they not learned?

Now everyone has to waste their time standing in queues for multiple hours because of one simple thing.

peanutbunny

We had one scanner, two people verifying addresses, the scanner who was telling you which queue to join based on surname did it incorrectly, so coming to the front of the queue and then getting told you in the wrong queue , it was frustrating.

Solitude

Expert Member
Or you could be smart and casually role up at 3pm when everyone has already spent ages standing in the line and get everything done and dusted in 2 mins. You're welcome.
That's what I'm hoping on doing. Last time it didn't work though because the queue stayed long throughout the day. All the old people hog the scanner. They have multiple booths but there's no point if only one is used at a time.

But yes, so far I'm just following a Facebook group and getting updates. I think I'll stop looking for now because I'm just getting worked up. I honestly thought they would have learned by now. They know how many people are coming, surely they could have added more scanners. Especially after all the complaints last time.

Zuner

Expert Member
Or you stay in a smaller town, last time it took about 15minutes to vote. casually rolled up at 10am, was long gone by 10:30.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
The two previous times we voted it took hours with queues so long that you couldn't see the end of it. The previous times it was so slow because there was only one scanner. The whole process was ridiculously slow.

And now this year?

The same thing! Only one scanner. How have they not learned?

Now everyone has to waste their time standing in queues for multiple hours because of one simple thing.
Ours knew what they were doing. Managed the very long queue pretty efficiently and from the time of presenting our IDs we were done in a minute or so later.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
To be fair, I'm in the queue now and there are two scanners walking up and down the looooong queue pre-scanning everybody. About 300 people in the queue, but it's moving fast. More than halfway in 30 minutes.

Colin62

Executive Member
Or you stay in a smaller town, last time it took about 15minutes to vote. casually rolled up at 10am, was long gone by 10:30.
I’m expecting that the 10km drive into town and back to collect my ID from the drawer in my office will take longer than voting will. If I remember to time it, I’ll report back later.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
That's what I'm hoping on doing. Last time it didn't work though because the queue stayed long throughout the day. All the old people hog the scanner. They have multiple booths but there's no point if only one is used at a time.

But yes, so far I'm just following a Facebook group and getting updates. I think I'll stop looking for now because I'm just getting worked up. I honestly thought they would have learned by now. They know how many people are coming, surely they could have added more scanners. Especially after all the complaints last time.
Learning is not something they do unfortunately, but like you say it takes time for them to clear the backlog but in many areas, even if they are busy, at around 3pm everyone is gone and the queue is clear. No point in obsessing over it now. Good luck.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I get to vote in a tiny church 20km of dirt road away...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Our voting station have been reported, apparently the IEC is sending more people.

****up.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There are more IEC officials here calling head office for assistance than assisting their understaffed and unprepared voting station. Silly.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
To add, the IEC officials split the queue in 3, insisting people to go to other voting stations.

flarkit

Executive Member
We took 2h45min, thanks to a chaotic manual process of crossing names from the register that consists of a scattered pile of papers! This is madness, it's 2019 FFS!

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Now the queue have been split again. IEC telling us that they didn't expect this turnout. Uhm, this is one of your largest wards. Didn't they take note from the previous election years?

I am going to report this after I have voted. Frustrating the voter base isn't on.