The IEC are idiots

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Very smooth were I voted. Good job from the IEC, they were friendly and competent.
The process when you're inside is quick and smooth, but there's no way to prevent multiple votes if you don't mind scrubbing your thumb and queuing again at a station you're not registered at...

rietrot

Honorary Master
The process when you're inside is quick and smooth, but there's no way to prevent multiple votes if you don't mind scrubbing your thumb and queuing again...
Assuming they don't reconcile the voter roles and forms. Then they would see if someones ID number appear more than once.

Last edited:

Solitude

Expert Member
I ended up going to a different voting station because ours had too many people. And I know of many people here who did the same.

Surely they know how many people are registered at our voting station and handle it better? It was really really stupidly poorly done.

Colin62

Executive Member
I ended up going to a different voting station because ours had too many people. And I know of many people here who did the same.

Surely they know how many people are registered at our voting station and handle it better? It was really really stupidly poorly done.
Maybe many of those people weren’t registered at that station?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It took 30 mins, around 100 people in the queue.

I have two things to advise the officials:
1) When scanning someone's ID, make note of their surname. Direct them to the right queue!
2) Look at the first 2 digits of the ID Number. Aside from the gray hair, walking stick, wheelchair or whatever, these numbers are your clue to a person's age, and if they are old, send them to the front. It really is not hard.
Ours went so smoothly it took less than 10 min. There was 1 queue, 1 scanner, thereafter the queue split, with each queue clearly marked alphabetical as well as according to the scanner number range. No problems at all, marking off the list was straight forward.

Frankly, The need to READ is still a requirement. Voters are jointly and equally responsible for the smooth running of the process.

The voting paper was a bit intimidating. Finding your choice was problematic. The 48 parties have not helped at all. Hopefully, the next time around common sense will return to reduce the number of parties.

SAguy

Expert Member
Our voting station was a mess this morning, more than one queue but only one scanner... not sure how the F they thought that would work. Wait time was a out 2 hours, luckily the scanner broke a few hours later so when I went after 15h00 I was done in 35 minutes. Pretty quick considering that the queue was long.

They resorted to manually crossing names off the list as usual.

Düber

Where we voted the presiding officer split the queue in two, one for people registered there, very short and quick, and one for people not, very long and slow.
Excellent decision, I was very pleased.
Took me about five minutes in and out.

Polly101

Only two minor issues at my voting station - lady checking off the name on the roll wasn't sure that J came after I in the alphabet, then looked suspiciously at me when I told her how the alphabet works

One of the voting boxed in use wasn't labelled, the IEC auntie in charge told me to "relax" when I mentioned that it should have been labelled prior to use

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Only two minor issues at my voting station - lady checking off the name on the roll wasn't sure that J came after I in the alphabet, then looked suspiciously at me when I told her how the alphabet works

One of the voting boxed in use wasn't labelled, the IEC auntie in charge told me to "relax" when I mentioned that it should have been labelled prior to use
Welcome to the sort that are in power. And then people wonder why Eskom is in the state its in...

Cius

Executive Member
There were scanner issues at the place I was registered to vote, queue was 3 hours plus, but the watsapp groups warned us so we went to a quiet nearby station and voted in 30 min. 20 min of the 30 min was waiting for the forms to vote at a different station as they kept running out. Later in the day though the main place I should have gone to sorted their issues out and mid afternoon the queue was under 30 min and by 8:30 it was 2 min to vote. All in all was not unhappy with how it worked out.

Minor irritation was I drove past the main voting station about 4 times during the day just out of curiosity to monitor the queue and each time I would see a large number of old people walking back to their cars. I know for a fact that they get to skip the queue regardless of when they arrive making the queue a lot slower for everyone else. It is really not that hard to register for a special vote if you are elderly.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There were scanner issues at the place I was registered to vote, queue was 3 hours plus, but the watsapp groups warned us so we went to a quiet nearby station and voted in 30 min. 20 min of the 30 min was waiting for the forms to vote at a different station as they kept running out. Later in the day though the main place I should have gone to sorted their issues out and mid afternoon the queue was under 30 min and by 8:30 it was 2 min to vote. All in all was not unhappy with how it worked out.

Minor irritation was I drove past the main voting station about 4 times during the day just out of curiosity to monitor the queue and each time I would see a large number of old people walking back to their cars. I know for a fact that they get to skip the queue regardless of when they arrive making the queue a lot slower for everyone else. It is really not that hard to register for a special vote if you are elderly.
That depends on the effectiveness of the officials on duty. Even though us old timers were pulled out of the queue the old timers were not given exclusive access, the process involved 4 people in turn out of both queues, thus both queues moved along quite happily. The old-timer queue was never more than 8 deep while we were there, so what you are saying is statistically completely irrelevant. In any case how do you define an old timer?

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
What is considered an old timer these days? Do you have to wear Coke bottle glasses and walk with a cane?

eg2505

Honorary Master
next time, do what I did, rock up at 6:30 am,
vote at 7, and be home sleeping at 7:45